Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sri Lanka will win the World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post

Their team ticks all the boxes and will lead from start to finish. No other team has such a complete roster. They are as strong, or in most cases stronger, than every other team in every neccessary department of one day cricket.
    lol no.
    I think most Sri lankans would be happy if they got to the semi's.
    This is the possible batting lineup;
    Dilshan
    Tharanga
    Sanga
    MJ
    Silva
    Kapu
    Mathews

There are only two decent ODI batsmen in this lineup, #1 and #7. Everyone else goes from crap to extremely ****ing crap.
    For as long as there is limited overs cricket - of ten, twenty or fifty overs - there will remain the Sri Lankan spinners' mid-innings choke

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    I think Pak's bowling looks better than SL's.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by Lostman View Post
    lol no.
    I think most Sri lankans would be happy if they got to the semi's.
    This is the possible batting lineup;
    Dilshan
    Tharanga
    Sanga
    MJ
    Silva
    Kapu
    Mathews

There are only two decent ODI batsmen in this lineup, #1 and #7. Everyone else goes from crap to extremely ****ing crap.
    While Sangakkara is pretty over-rated in ODIs by people who don't follow Sri Lanka too closely, I definitely don't think it's fair to say he's "not decent" or "crap". He's decent to good, IMO. He certainly doesn't match up to his reputation but there aren't too many teams I'd leave him out of.

Jayawardene, too, is a special kind of crap. I'm not saying he isn't a **** **** at this form of the game, but unlike most batsmen with his record, he's quite capable of playing a substantial innings against a good attack under pressure. Most batsmen who average 32 odd and strike at 75 odd or so make a career out of bashing minnows and scoring runs in irrelevant circumstances but as the last World Cup showed, his class can shine through at the right times. No doubt he's not very good at this format but I'd definitely take him over other players with similar records for that reason.

I agree the batting is weak and over-rated but perhaps not as weak as the numbers show or as the clued in Sri Lankan fans think, IMO.
    ~ Cribbage

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar

vcs
    Meh, astrologers. We need an octopus.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Jayawardene is a **** **** in one day cricket and Sangakkara really isn't that much better either.
    AWTA. Jayawardane is **** when he doesn't open. Sanga is an anchoring batsman only. Not a real match winner with the bat. That leaves only Dilshan and Mathews as match winners with the bat.
    Diuretics are used to look good at TV shows

I played for 20 years in the Lankan team, I did not have any problems as a Tamil - Muralidaran

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    While Sangakkara is pretty over-rated in ODIs by people who don't follow Sri Lanka too closely, I definitely don't think it's fair to say he's "not decent" or "crap". He's decent to good, IMO. He certainly doesn't match up to his reputation but there aren't too many teams I'd leave him out of.

Jayawardene, too, is a special kind of crap. I'm not saying he isn't a **** **** at this form of the game, but unlike most batsmen with his record, he's quite capable of playing a substantial innings against a good attack under pressure. Most batsmen who average 32 odd and strike at 75 odd or so make a career out of bashing minnows and scoring runs in irrelevant circumstances but as the last World Cup showed, his class can shine through at the right times. No doubt he's not very good at this format but I'd definitely take him over other players with similar records for that reason.

I agree the batting is weak and over-rated but perhaps not as weak as the numbers show or as the clued in Sri Lankan fans think, IMO.
    MJ has been woeful at #4. Sanga, MJ and Sam all are orthodox players who don't use long handle. Only time MJ has been breathtaking is when he opens the innings where he can pierce the gaps well. Once set, he can take any attack of any class to the cleaners. Having Tharanga at #2 compounds the problems. #2-#6 all cannot rotate the strike as Aravinda-Arjuna used to do effortlessly. Dilshan and Mathews are no different either, but these two possess good ability in long handle. Because of this most sides tend to scatter the field when these two comes up to the crease.

MJ, Dilshan, Sanga, Chandimal, Sam, Mathews, Perera would have been the ideal line up with Randiv and Kulasekara coming at 8 and 9. That has only two players who drop anchor, and guys like DIlshan, Mathews, Chandimal and Perera usually don't scrape around with singles.
    Last edited by Migara; 11-02-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Haha, when you quote my two posts in a row it really looks like I'm contradicting myself. I wasn't though; I promise.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    MJ should open and then they will win this..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    MJ can play make a boring game into a thriller

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Don't win World Cup, columnist urges Sri Lanka

benchmark00 supports the corrupt board imo

Banned
    Hmm...Chances of Srilanka to qualify for semis is bright but to win the WC is i think over-expectation :P

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crickete View Post
    Hmm...Chances of Srilanka to qualify for semis is bright but to win the WC is i think over-expectation :P
    Why ? If they are good enough to reach the semi finals, then they have every chance of going all the way.

Like someone mentioned earlier, they seem to have all bases covered.

1) Strong, balanced side on paper.
    2) They are in good form - just beat the number one side in their backyard.
    3) They are playing in very familiar conditions.

They have as good a chance as India do, if not better. Many of the top sides haven't played ODIs in Sri Lanka for quite a while, so they might struggle to come to terms with the conditions (by contrast, most of the top teams have played ODI series in India recently).

I want Pakistan to win the WC. What ever that kicks out the SLC officials, selectors and the captain I am with them. Thiese retards are killing the game by selecting passengers who are good at giving nothing but blow jobs.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information