• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

"Format designed keeping top teams in mind" - Tournament Director

turnstyle

State 12th Man
World Cup: World Cup format designed keeping top teams in mind - Ratnakar Shetty | Cricket News | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

I understand the game needs to make money and all, but still..

Just wonder how the Indian/Pakistani fans feel? Do you think you'll still feel you've won it fair and square even though you've had a little nudge up over the rest. The fact that the other top 4 get a free pass to the quarters isn't lost on me either, but it does feel like this W.C is geared more towards revenue rather than the best team.

Sorry if it seems like a dig at the Sub-Continental teams. 8-)

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I don't see how its a nudge up. There's 3 knockout games compared to 2 in the earlier editions. If anything, its made it tougher.

Wasn't the last WC format designed keeping revenue in mind?

turnstyle

State 12th Man
I don't see how its a nudge up. There's 3 knockout games compared to 2 in the earlier editions. If anything, its made it tougher.

Wasn't the last WC format designed keeping revenue in mind?
It was. But i guess they didn't expect the bottom teams to do so well. I guess another point which grinds my gears and isn't mentioned is that Australia/New Zealand should've been hosting this version but were outvoted by the Sub-Continental/Zimbabwe coalition. Plus the fact that none of them have to play away from home in the knock-out matches. Even Australia had to play in NZ during the '92 World Cup.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
It was. But i guess they didn't expect the bottom teams to do so well. I guess another point which grinds my gears and isn't mentioned is that Australia/New Zealand should've been hosting this version but were outvoted by the Sub-Continental/Zimbabwe coalition. Plus the fact that none of them have to play away from home in the knock-out matches. Even Australia had to play in NZ during the '92 World Cup.
How many knockout games would SA, the WI and England have had to play outside home in the World Cups they hosted?

Don't see why India/SL/Ban should lose that advantage just because they have to share a hosting opportunity. An alternative is each of the Asian nations hosting individual World Cups of their own.

salman85

International Debutant
World Cup: World Cup format designed keeping top teams in mind - Ratnakar Shetty | Cricket News | ICC Cricket World Cup 2011 | ESPN Cricinfo

Just wonder how the Indian/Pakistani fans feel? Do you think you'll still feel you've won it fair and square even though you've had a little nudge up over the rest. The fact that the other top 4 get a free pass to the quarters isn't lost on me either, but it does feel like this W.C is geared more towards revenue rather than the best team.

I've become tired of defending the current WC format tbh.Yes it is done to favor the bigger teams so the knockout stages maintain interest.People can go on and on about how the big teams are getting an easy passage into the next round,but if that didnt happen,viewership would come down drastically for the knockout stages.Crowds would become thinner,and the tournament would bomb like the 2007 edition.After the 2007 fiasco,it was only natural for the ICC to take a safer route,and this is it.Period.

I see nothing wrong with having the home team play all their group matches in their home country.And if Australia and Newzealand play their group matches in their respective countries for the 2015 WC,that would be completley Ok since they have all the right to have home advantage.This is a non-issue,and would never even come into consideration when a single country hosts a major tournamen

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How is anyone getting a nudge over the rest? I thought everyone was supposed to start off with zero points.. :unsure:

salman85

International Debutant
How is anyone getting a nudge over the rest? I thought everyone was supposed to start off with zero points.. :unsure:
I guess because Pakistan/India were ousted early last time,and this time both teams are virtually guaranteed a place in the quarters.So are all other big teams,but somehow this world cup is giving out a very ICC-is-favoring-Subcontinent-Teams vibe to people

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I guess because Pakistan/India were ousted early last time,and this time both teams are virtually guaranteed a place in the quarters.So are all other big teams,but somehow this world cup is giving out a very ICC-is-favoring-Subcontinent-Teams vibe to people
No one is virtually guaranteed anything.. they have to go out and win their games.

salman85

International Debutant
But the margin for error is much bigger this time compared to the last tournament.Which is why i used the word virtually

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I see nothing wrong with having the home team play all their group matches in their home country.
No, that bit is fair enough, it's the fixing of the knockout match venues AFTER finding out who is in them that's the big issue.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
if you thought the top teams were getting an easier ride into the ko stage, thank your lucky stars your not a minow in 2015 they have not even been invited to that wc. an absolute disgrace.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
If an associate has a great game against someone like NZ or WI then they could sneak into the quarters. From there you're at the knockout stage, and only need to win one game to get to a semi final. I don't see how that is more difficult for a minnow than the long slog of a super 8s format.

If anything I think this format gives more opportunities to smaller teams.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

He said some stupid things in that interview, but really it favours no-one in particular. Everyone starts on 0; the best teams will make it through to the quarters. Obviously any decent system is going to favour the teams that perform well throughout the tournament; no-one is being given a leg up.

salman85

International Debutant
Every country has the right to home advantage,regardless of whether it's one country hosting the event or multiple countries.When one country hosts the event,it automatically gets home advantage in every game it plays.So why not apply the same thing to an event hosted by three countries?

I see nothing wrong with the whole thing.Every piece of criticsm seems to be an attempt to somehow degrade this WC.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I've no problem with the home game in the groups, but it makes it a joke for the other teams - the grounds should've been set in stone so that all the teams know exactly where they go based on where they finish in the group - not having to wait to see who they get as to whether they have to go to one country or another.

Blaze 18

Banned
He said some stupid things in that interview, but really it favours no-one in particular. Everyone starts on 0; the best teams will make it through to the quarters. Obviously any decent system is going to favour the teams that perform well throughout the tournament; no-one is being given a leg up.
Every country has the right to home advantage,regardless of whether it's one country hosting the event or multiple countries.When one country hosts the event,it automatically gets home advantage in every game it plays.So why not apply the same thing to an event hosted by three countries?

I see nothing wrong with the whole thing.Every piece of criticsm seems to be an attempt to somehow degrade this WC.
Both these posts hit the nail right on the head.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I've no problem with the home game in the groups, but it makes it a joke for the other teams - the grounds should've been set in stone so that all the teams know exactly where they go based on where they finish in the group - not having to wait to see who they get as to whether they have to go to one country or another.
I absolutely agree with your point - up until now I hadn't actually realised that the semi- and quarter-final venues hadn't been finalised; that seems to have been kept awefully quiet. In saying that, I can't help but wonder if the ICC's taken note of other big sporting events, like the 2007 Rugby World Cup, where France hosted the majority of the tournament but allowed for Wales to host a few matches - including a quarter final which France qualified for meaning the host nation couldn't watch their team play in their own country. For the record, IMO that was tough luck for France (despite them still winning, can't remember who they played though...) and the CWC should've adopted similar pre-determined scheduling.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
I absolutely agree with your point - up until now I hadn't actually realised that the semi- and quarter-final venues hadn't been finalised; that seems to have been kept awefully quiet. In saying that, I can't help but wonder if the ICC's taken note of other big sporting events, like the 2007 Rugby World Cup, where France hosted the majority of the tournament but allowed for Wales to host a few matches - including a quarter final which France qualified for meaning the host nation couldn't watch their team play in their own country. For the record, IMO that was tough luck for France (despite them still winning, can't remember who they played though...) and the CWC should've adopted similar pre-determined scheduling.
i really cant remember what team france beat either. 8-)