• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Eleven Hundreds of the World Cup

gvenkat

State Captain
It's hard to spin these kind of articles there will always be one person who has a different opinion :laugh::laugh:

Gaunguly's 183, Martin Crowe's 100, Lara's 116, Tendulkar's 140 against Kenya.. The list can keep going. Probably MarK Waugh's Hundred could be a debatable one. I saw how tough the conditions were in Chennai. I was there..

There are so many.. I just chose the hundreds that really mattered in a knock out/crunch scenario and Some really outstanding innings.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Hard to argue with the 11 selected. The article highlights how important a big century is in the World Cup Final. Clive Lloyd in 75, Viv Richards in 79, Aravinda in 96, Ricky Ponting in 03, Adam Gilchrist in 07. Such great knocks, and you could almost make a case for including all five in the greatest ODI knocks of all time considering the importance.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
It's hard to spin these kind of articles there will always be one person who has a different opinion :laugh::laugh:

Gaunguly's 183, Martin Crowe's 100, Lara's 116, Tendulkar's 140 against Kenya.. The list can keep going. Probably MarK Waugh's Hundred could be a debatable one. I saw how tough the conditions were in Chennai. I was there..

There are so many.. I just chose the hundreds that really mattered in a knock out/crunch scenario and Some really outstanding innings.
Yeah!! Fair enough.

Always tough to prepare list like this ,tbh.

But not sure about some of the innings in the list .

Brian Lara and Mark Waugh being the most debateable being better than Ganguly . Perhaps VIv's 181 too as it was against a ordinary bowling lineup on a flat track.
Even Houghton to a certain extent ,though i guess it was big for a zimbabwean to do it.

Btw,if you include Mark Waugh's innings in the list ,you have to include Chris Harris's 130 from the same match against a stronger bowling line up surely?

Last edited:

gvenkat

State Captain
Brian Lara's was one of the best if not the best. You have to remember that West Indies were just ambushed by Kenya and SA had won 5/5. So all the odds were against Lara and the West Indies coming good.

Mark Waugh batted in the night under lights and Chris Harris actually had the better of the conditions. TBH, I was in Chennai on that day and boy was it humid.. :laugh:

Yeah Maybe Richards's could have been replaced with Saurav's. But I included that Viv's innings for sheer brutality. Houghton's was brilliant actually. He almost won the game and rumor has it he lost about 6 kilos that day..

As I said these lists are tricky to prepare.. :) and I knew it would certainly evoke some debate.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
What about the mustacioed marauder Graham Gooch

Didn't he score a very good hundred against the then WC champions IN India?
Semi-final in Mumbai.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Real pity Sachin had to get that snorter from Akhtar in 2003.. That would have been in this list easily.. Somehow Sachin's best knocks in WCs seem to be the non-100 ones.. :(

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hard to argue with any on that list, fantastic knocks. Just watched highlights of the Aus-NZ match from '96 today, Mark Waugh's innings is a deserving one.

Neil Johnson's against Australia in '99 also a good shout.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
Mahela Jayawardene's semi-final hundred against the enzeds in 2007.
He started extremely slowly, as if he was a Bizarro Sehwag.
17 runs in his 1st 47 balls.
Once he felt comfortable, and gauged the conditions, he destroyed the enzed bowlers.
Oh and Lara's hundred vs. SA in the WC 2003 at the NCG was high quality as well.
There was seam movement for the bowlers(Allan, Ntini & Pollock)
He also started very slowly, but once he had his eye in,like Karaach 1996, the SA bowlers had no chance.

Last edited:

gvenkat

State Captain
Real pity Sachin had to get that snorter from Akhtar in 2003.. That would have been in this list easily.. Somehow Sachin's best knocks in WCs seem to be the non-100 ones.. :(
The 140 against Kenya was of the highest order. His dad had just passed away and he went and came back and did that.

His 90 Against Aus and 98 against Pakistan were gems.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hayden's brutal century against South Africa in the group stages in the 07 WC comes to my mind as one of the best ever.

In that innings he really set the tone of the tournament by brutalising Shaun Pollock, who was the #1 ranked ODI bowler in the world at the time. Of course Hayden then went on to dominate the tournament and set Australia up for their third consecutive title.

slugger

State Vice-Captain
stephen fleming 134* against south africa. 2003.

•1st delay 15 mins lost, New Zealand score on 76/0 after 12 overs
•2nd delay 11 mins lost, New Zealand score 97/1 after 15 overs
•3rd delay 52 mins lost, New Zealand score 182/1 after 30.2 overs

I cant believe that 100 wasnt mentioned it was a do or die match for both teams, and to top it off NZ had never beaten sth africa in sth africa until that game.

Last edited:

Quaggas

State Captain
stephen fleming 134* against south africa. 2003.

•1st delay 15 mins lost, New Zealand score on 76/0 after 12 overs
•2nd delay 11 mins lost, New Zealand score 97/1 after 15 overs
•3rd delay 52 mins lost, New Zealand score 182/1 after 30.2 overs
Yeah, that was a brilliant innings.... after Gibbs scored 140-odd. 143. I notice Donald went for almost 9 an over.

Days of Grace

International Captain
What blighted it somewhat was Boucher`s dropped catch off Fleming`s outside edge to Donald when he was 50-something.

Other than that, Flem never played better, tbh.

I remember staying up through the night to watch that after my birthday party.