Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: No Hot Spot

Money Money Money Champion! Tournaments Won: 7
    Only just read the article, and have to say that while I'm disappointed that hotspot won't be at all part of the UDRS for the World Cup, I'm not overly surprised. Its been fairly well-known that the technology providers have not been overly fond of the ICC's reluctance to adopt UDRS including hotspot across the board at test level, and so requiring the hotspot technology for just three of the games during the tournament is hardly worth their trouble. With regards to the point made above considering 'snicko', I'm fairly certain the reason it isn't part of the UDRS is the time it takes to synchronise, otherwise I'm sure it'd be incorporated.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Explain what?
    Why the hot spot will not be useful.

If it can't be picked up by slow-mo it might get picked up by hot-spot. Not 100% accurate but it will never show a white spot if there was no edge at all. It might miss edges but it certainly wont cause a batsmen to be out when he didn't edge it all.

Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Why the hot spot will not be useful.

If it can't be picked up by slow-mo it might get picked up by hot-spot. Not 100% accurate but it will never show a white spot if there was no edge at all. It might miss edges but it certainly wont cause a batsmen to be out when he didn't edge it all.
    Use snicko, there's always a sound.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

Thanks.

And it does show a white spot when there's no edge, KP in the boxing day test for example.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Snicko takes too long,

As for the white spot in the Boxing Day Test, what is your point? It was clear that the white spot wasn't caused by the ball, so it's totally irrelevant.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Snicko takes too long,

As for the white spot in the Boxing Day Test, what is your point? It was clear that the white spot wasn't caused by the ball, so it's totally irrelevant.
    Firstly, thanks captain obvious re: snicko. If you had read my earlier posts on this topic you will note that I said spend money on getting it up to speed.

Secondly, my point about the white spot is that where did the white spot come from? It wasn't the pad and it wasn't the ball. So one day that will result in an incorrect decision. If they're going to use the technology they have to trust it. If they trusted it they would've given Pietersen out. The fact is that it can't be trusted and it's a rubbish piece of technology for this application.

Suicide Bob Champion!
    Firstly, thanks captain obvious re: snicko. If you had read my earlier posts on this topic you will note that I said spend money on getting it up to speed.

Secondly, my point about the white spot is that where did the white spot come from? It wasn't the pad and it wasn't the ball. So one day that will result in an incorrect decision. If they're going to use the technology they have to trust it. If they trusted it they would've given Pietersen out. The fact is that it can't be trusted and it's a rubbish piece of technology for this application.
    So if such a coincidence were to happen that there somehow was a white spot exactly where the ball may or may not have taken the edge, can't the same be argued about snicko as well? What if the batsmen farts at the exact same time as the ball passes the bat?

So if such a coincidence were to happen that there somehow was a white spot exactly where the ball may or may not have taken the edge, can't the same be argued about snicko as well? What if the batsmen farts at the exact same time as the ball passes the bat?
    See that's the thing, flatulence being emitted from the anal cavity would show up as a completely different visual representation on the snicko reading.

The ball taking the edge makes a sharp, high wave length, whereas hitting the pad or a fart, for example, would make a flatter sound.

Snicko is definitely more reliable. You're never just hoping there's a noise (or a spot in Hot Spot's case), there always is something.

I'm happy enough to use hot spot as a back up, but it's an inferior piece of technology for this purpose imo.
    Last edited by benchmark00; 08-02-2011 at 03:16 AM.

I'd love to see a hot spot visual of a batsman farting as he nicks one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

'You will look very silly said Mr Salteena with a dry laugh.
    Well so will you said Ethel in a snappy tone and she ran out of the room with a very superier run throwing out her legs behind and her arms swinging in rithum.
    Well said the owner of the house she has a most idiotick run.'

Suicide Bob Champion!
    See that's the thing, flatulence being emitted from the anal cavity would show up as a completely different visual representation on the snicko reading.

The ball taking the edge makes a sharp, high wave length, whereas hitting the pad or a fart, for example, would make a flatter sound.

Snicko is definitely more reliable. You're never just hoping there's a noise (or a spot in Hot Spot's case), there always is something.

I'm happy enough to use hot spot as a back up, but it's an inferior piece of technology for this purpose imo.
    Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Would the bat hitting the ground show up a distinguishably different wave length on the snicko? If it does then I guess you're right. (was only joking about the fart though )

benchmark00 is correct above. Refer to Bell at Sydney where it was obvious to all and sundry that he had whacked it, but Hot Spot showed nothing.
    citoyens, vouliez-vous une révolution sans révolution?

Hot Spot's best use: YouTube - Dougie's Hot Spot

Hmm, hadn't thought of that. Would the bat hitting the ground show up a distinguishably different wave length on the snicko? If it does then I guess you're right. (was only joking about the fart though )
    Yes, again the noise shows up as a different visual representation.

I'm definitely no expert on this, but if they can speed the process of bringing snicko up it would be a lot more accurate than Hot Spot is.

Suicide Bob Champion!
    Hot Spot's best use: YouTube - Dougie's Hot Spot

International Debutant M0rphin3's Avatar
    Agree with Benchy. This was another such instance I recall where hotspot failed to pick an obvious edge.
    Proud Supporter of: Shakib Al Hasan, Kane Williamson, Adam Milne [/B]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information