• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sri Lanka WC hot favourite: Hayden

Delo12

Cricket Spectator
Sri Lanka WC hot favourite: Hayden
Sandip G

Former Australian cricketer Matthew Hayden checks handmade items made by Mithra Foundation inmates in Chennai on Tuesday
Express News ServiceFirst Published : 02 Feb 2011 02:54:52 AM ISTLast Updated : 02 Feb 2011 11:47:02 AM IST
CHENNAI: Despite the Ashes low, former Australian batsman Matthew Hayden pins Australia as contenders for their fourth successive World Cup triumph. “They have a strong case as contenders. Th*ey have been doing alright in ODIs and are No 1 ranked side in the tournament,” he said.
That the Aussies have convin*c*ingly trumped England to claim the limited-over rubber (Au*stralia leads 4-1) is a fair en*ough indicator. “The series win will ensure that they go into the World Cup brimming with conf*idence. They have a settled team and some good match-winners in Ricky Ponting, Shane Watson and Michael Clarke up the ord*er. And remember they have be*a*ten hosts India, and few sid*es in recent times have achie*v*ed that, fair and square in the last bilateral series,” he said.
Speedster Brett Lee’s return to the fold has bolstered their bowling, which has been a tad one-dimensional. “Lee coming back and getting wickets is the best thing to have happened to Australia before the World Cup. His experience in these conditio*ns would come in handy, and as always he would provide them with early breakthroughs. Also, he has enough variations to tro*u*ble the batsmen at the death. He has made a huge difference to the side,” he maintained, on the sidelines of a charity auction organised by Mithra Foundation.
All the same, the lack of a quality spinner would hamper Australia’s bid for title retention. “Losing Nathan Hauritz to injury has been bit of a blow. But I’m happy with the way Stephen Smith has shaped up. His leg spinners are quite handy in the conditions, and mind you he is a good batsman as well. He can grip the surface and manage fair bit of turn, and would be quite hard to get away with,” he opined.
The 39-year-old tipped Sri Lanka as the favourites for the World Cup. “The top four teams are Sri Lanka, Australia, India and South Africa. But Lankans are the red-hot favourites. They ha*ve enough players to succeed in these conditions, besides some extremely experienced and dangerous players. And they are going to push hard for the World Cup,” he said.
A vital cog in Australia trium*phs in 2003 and 2007, he cherish*es his fellow-opener Adam Gilchrist hundred in the previous Cup final (149 against Sri Lanka) the most.
“He was just murdering the bowling. Some of the shots he played were most remarkable in power and execution. We made 170-odd (172) for the first wicket out of which I ma*de only 38,” he signed off.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Sri Lanka very hard to make a case against. If the squad had been selected a little better they'd be favourites for me.

salman85

International Debutant
With all due respect to Srilanka,calling them hot favorites is stretching it.This is probably the first World Cup since 1996 where you cannot identify ONE clear cut favorite.

The Lankans have a very good team.But definitely not hot favorites.India have a better chance than them IMO.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sri Lanka very hard to make a case against. If the squad had been selected a little better they'd be favourites for me.
I definitely think their batting is a bit **** in one day cricket, irrespective of the squad they selected.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Don't get the widespread lack of backing for Tharanga. He may not be world class but nine ODI centuries is surely nothing to sneeze at?

If it were up to me I'd have Mahela open and play Chandimal in the middle order, but as that won't happen I'd be content to see Tharanga playing.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Almost seems like Dilshan is their Jayasuriya these days. They can be restricted to a reasonable score if he falls cheaply.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Their top 3 should be Jayawardene, TilDil and Sanga.. the best 3 batters in the side.. for some reason though, they like to split them up..

cnerd123

likes this
Problem is, Tharanga is probably the 4th best batsman. Dilshan is awesome when opening, they can't move in, and then there are doubts over Sanga's ability to hit out at the end. Tharanga is a natural opener too, and quite successful.

So a lineup of Dil-Tharanga-Sanga-Jaya seems fine. Jaya even going down to 5.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Their top 3 should be Jayawardene, TilDil and Sanga.. the best 3 batters in the side.. for some reason though, they like to split them up..
And they never seem to score as many runs in one day cricket as you'd expect, no matter where you put them. :p

Sri Lankan pitches are actually quite bowler friendly in one dayers, particularly under lights, but they don't have the records you'd expect.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Problem is, Tharanga is probably the 4th best batsman. Dilshan is awesome when opening, they can't move in, and then there are doubts over Sanga's ability to hit out at the end. Tharanga is a natural opener too, and quite successful.

So a lineup of Dil-Tharanga-Sanga-Jaya seems fine. Jaya even going down to 5.

Think it massively undersells what Mahela can do in these conditions as an opener. I really think with Samaraweera being around and the emergence of Matthews, they should take the punt and send out Dil, Mahela and Sanga as the top 3...

And they never seem to score as many runs in one day cricket as you'd expect, no matter where you put them. :p

Sri Lankan pitches are actually quite bowler friendly in one dayers, particularly under lights, but they don't have the records you'd expect.

Well, I am talking relative to the others in their side.. Who knows, maybe if we do this, they will end up scoring more? :)

kingkallis

International Coach
If they go with this, it opens up a really NOT solid looking middle order and 2-3 quick wickets means they'd be restricted around 210-220

Thats why its important to go with TilDil & UpuTha :p

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Think it massively undersells what Mahela can do in these conditions as an opener. I really think with Samaraweera being around and the emergence of Matthews, they should take the punt and send out Dil, Mahela and Sanga as the top 3...

Well, I am talking relative to the others in their side.. Who knows, maybe if we do this, they will end up scoring more? :)
Haha yeah, perhaps. Jayawardene has always looked most comfortably opening the batting in limited overs cricket, to me. He can play some turgid innings in the middle order. He did have a good WC 2007 in the middle order though IIRC, so maybe he just rises to the occasion.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
Just as i am not convinced with India's bowling, same goes with SL'as batting. If the match is played in SL i would rate them to win against anyone. But not if the match is played in India.

smash84

The Tiger King
Just as i am not convinced with India's bowling, same goes with SL'as batting. If the match is played in SL i would rate them to win against anyone. But not if the match is played in India.
Bowling wise I rate Pakistan to be right up there.........their batting though is another matter