Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead Rubber World Cup

Cricket Web Staff Member gvenkat's Avatar

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    well said
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Agreed - In fact I will be surprised if there are very many who disagree with you Ganesh

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Chehtha's Avatar
    I completely agree with you

DWTA. There's an inconsistency in the article:

One-sided cricket matches can be boring........ Group A could see some ridiculous mismatches involving the likes of Australia and Sri Lanka pitted against Canada and Kenya. Look no further than the 2003 World Cup when minnows were dismissed for 30's and 40's and top teams regularly raked up 300's and 350's .
    And the very next paragraph seeks to spin the above negative into a positive for a different format..

The ideal format would have been to have the group winners get direct semi-final berths and the 2nd and the 3rd place teams from each group play a knock out to decide the other two semi-finalists. That would have given an incentive for the stronger teams to mash up the minnows and the contests during the league would have had a context.
    This makes no difference from the pov of desiring a good competition. You have mismatches either way.
    Last edited by G.I.Joe; 02-02-2011 at 05:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

What I meant to say was the matches would have had a context that is all. Say for example if in my suggested format a game between Australia and Canada could have assumed importance if Australia were to win by a certain margin.

I think the only fair way to address the problem of teams being thrashed by the big boy which is likely to happen a couple of times in this world cup, is to change the ODI fomat to split innings. therefore you only have to see a team get exposed and belittle in half the time. if a minor can compete they will need to push the game deep into the second stanza.
    Last edited by slugger; 02-02-2011 at 10:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gvenkat View Post
    What I meant to say was the matches would have had a context that is all. Say for example if in my suggested format a game between Australia and Canada could have assumed importance if Australia were to win by a certain margin.
    Those games still have context now. If you're looking to play a weaker team in the quarterfinal (as you should), you'd want to thrash every weak team in your group so that you end up placed higher up your group on the basis of NRR.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Those games still have context now. If you're looking to play a weaker team in the quarterfinal (as you should), you'd want to thrash every weak team in your group so that you end up placed higher up your group on the basis of NRR.
    You can spin it that way, we can agree to disagree though..

Haha, how is that spin? Do you deny that any team would prefer facing a weaker opponent in a knockout match?

Haha, how is that spin? Do you deny that any team would prefer facing a weaker opponent in a knockout match?
    Since you asked, Any team would prefer to take on a weaker opposition. However weaker is just on paper. The top 8 sides on a given day can beat anyone.. So it's not like India would rather face Pakistan than New Zealand or Australia would rather Eng than WI.

The battle would be to avoid the top 2 teams from Each group. India, Aus, SL, SA. So the games against the minnows and these top teams would still be irreleavant.

Quote Originally Posted by gvenkat View Post
    Since you asked, Any team would prefer to take on a weaker opposition. However weaker is just on paper. The top 8 sides on a given day can beat anyone.. So it's not like India would rather face Pakistan than New Zealand or Australia would rather Eng than WI.

The battle would be to avoid the top 2 teams from Each group. India, Aus, SL, SA. So the games against the minnows and these top teams would still be irreleavant.
    The 2 bolded statements again contradict each other.

Take out the first bolded statement. Would that make you happy? :-)

Why the hate, man?

Why the hate, man?
    No hate here man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information