• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dead Rubber World Cup

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I really don't understand why ya'll don't agree to my format.

group winners go to semis and 2,3 play knockouts.... :)
Let's say, for argument's sake, that Sri Lanka win group A, Australia finish 2nd and New Zealand finish 3rd, and India win group B, England finishing 2nd and South Africa 3rd. We'll assume as well that Australia and England win their knockout games and join Sri Lanka and India in the semis.

There's an argument to be made that England and Australia benefit from having to play a game more, as this allows them to build up form and momentum. I don't think such a format is any fairer, and arguably disadvantages teams who finish top in the group.

The problem with the group format isn't the format itself IMO. It's the length of time that it will take to get through the group stages. Taking a month to play the group stages is ****ing ridiculous.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Does no one else like watching mismatches with minnows against top teams? I'd like to watch those just for the chance we may see another Ireland v Pakistan. If we don't at least we can get 6 sixes in an over or watch a Leverock taking a diving catch which would make most Indian fielders hang their heads in shame.

jashan83

U19 Captain
Atleast this format is better than the ridiculous thing they have done with 2015 WC. Make it 10 nations. Don have new teams exposure to cricket. Just guard it for a few elite

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Atleast this format is better than the ridiculous thing they have done with 2015 WC. Make it 10 nations. Don have new teams exposure to cricket. Just guard it for a few elite
yeah.. I liked it when we had the Champions Trophy for this.. Top 8 and 2 groups of 4, semis and finals.. short and sweet among the top sides.. WC shud be an inclusive event.. Both this one and the T20s.. format is also fine as it is.. I just want them to have more games on the same day and get it done sooner.. it really juz drags on as of now..

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I disagree....you are basing your whole theory of dead rubber on the fact that minnows will get smashed. If you recall the last World Cup, Bangladesh was the reason for India's ouster in the 1st round and Ireland for Pak's ouster in the first round.

I understand the criticism at ICC as i am also part of it but this is stretching it. For all you care, the world cup should kick off from the QF without any 1st round games in the first place...

Xuhaib

International Coach
I have mixed feelings for this format. Yes there are many pointless games with the group stages being a drag but I like the fact that you have to go through 3 knockouts to lift the cup.