Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dead Rubber World Cup

International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Sorry Ganesh,i don't agree.

People have been cribbing about how tedious the group stages will get for a while now.That part,is not wrong.What most people seem to be ignoring however,is the fact that after the 2007 edition,the ICC had to come up with a format to make sure that all 8 big teams advance to the knockout stage.I don't think what effected the last WC was the way minnows got smashed.I think what effected the torunament was that 2 big countries in India and Pakistan,never advanced to the knockout stages,and that automatically brought down the viewership.This is not to suggest that the ICC should format a tournament where teams from the subcontinent advance.My point is that whenever a big team goes out early,it will bring down the tournament ratings (if there is any such thing) and the vieweship,and also have an effect on the tournament itself.Now will all 8 teams virtually assured of a spot in the QFs due to the easy groups,the viewership won't go down.Plus i think interest in the tournament will persist,as comapred to a situation where a heavy weight is heading out as that particular team would take it's fanbase with it.Cricket is not a sport like football where the neutrals would have a lot of interest too,along with the regular hardcore team fans.The largest amount of vieweshhip and interest in cricket would be generated by the hardcore team fans,and as long as that is there,the tournament will be successful.

Just my two cents.
    Last edited by salman85; 04-02-2011 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by salman85 View Post
    Sorry Ganesh,i don't agree.

People have been cribbing about how tedious the group stages will get for a while now.That part,is not wrong.What most people seem to be ignoring however,is the fact that after the 2007 edition,the ICC had to come up with a format to make sure that all 8 big teams advance to the knockout stage.I don't think what effected the last WC was the way minnows got smashed.I think what effected the torunament was that 2 big countries in India and Pakistan,never advanced to the knockout stages,and that automatically brought down the viewership.This is not to suggest that the ICC should format a tournament where teams from the subcontinent advance.My point is that whenever a big team goes out early,it will bring down the tournament ratings (if there is any such thing) and the vieweship,and also have an effect on the tournament itself.Now will all 8 teams virtually assured of a spot in the QFs due to the easy groups,the viewership won't go down.Plus i think interest in the tournament will persist,as comapred to a situation where a heavy weight is heading out as that particular team would take it's fanbase with it.Cricket is not a sport like football where the neutrals would have a lot of interest too,along with the regular hardcore team fans.The largest amount of vieweshhip and interest in cricket would be generated by the hardcore team fans,and as long as that is there,the tournament will be successful.

Just my two cents.
    Some valid points there and I agree that the main driver behind this format was $$. However to make the league stage a little bit more meaningful had they adopted the format I had suggested in the piece, the league games could have had more context. All in all still 6 teams would qualify. Of course this debate can go on for it's tough to design a format that is liked by everyone.

The league games already have context. You just refuse to acknowledge it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

'You will look very silly said Mr Salteena with a dry laugh.
    Well so will you said Ethel in a snappy tone and she ran out of the room with a very superier run throwing out her legs behind and her arms swinging in rithum.
    Well said the owner of the house she has a most idiotick run.'

Agree with Salman and Joe, personally. Minnows have to play in ICC's flagship event, and the current format is the best one if we have to include minnows (which we should).
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James

I really don't understand why ya'll don't agree to my format.

group winners go to semis and 2,3 play knockouts....

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by gvenkat View Post
    I really don't understand why ya'll don't agree to my format.

group winners go to semis and 2,3 play knockouts....
    Let's say, for argument's sake, that Sri Lanka win group A, Australia finish 2nd and New Zealand finish 3rd, and India win group B, England finishing 2nd and South Africa 3rd. We'll assume as well that Australia and England win their knockout games and join Sri Lanka and India in the semis.

There's an argument to be made that England and Australia benefit from having to play a game more, as this allows them to build up form and momentum. I don't think such a format is any fairer, and arguably disadvantages teams who finish top in the group.

The problem with the group format isn't the format itself IMO. It's the length of time that it will take to get through the group stages. Taking a month to play the group stages is ****ing ridiculous.

Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Does no one else like watching mismatches with minnows against top teams? I'd like to watch those just for the chance we may see another Ireland v Pakistan. If we don't at least we can get 6 sixes in an over or watch a Leverock taking a diving catch which would make most Indian fielders hang their heads in shame.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    yeah.. the format is fine.. But damn guys, have 2 or 3 games a day and get this done with..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

U19 Captain
    Atleast this format is better than the ridiculous thing they have done with 2015 WC. Make it 10 nations. Don have new teams exposure to cricket. Just guard it for a few elite

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jashan83 View Post
    Atleast this format is better than the ridiculous thing they have done with 2015 WC. Make it 10 nations. Don have new teams exposure to cricket. Just guard it for a few elite
    yeah.. I liked it when we had the Champions Trophy for this.. Top 8 and 2 groups of 4, semis and finals.. short and sweet among the top sides.. WC shud be an inclusive event.. Both this one and the T20s.. format is also fine as it is.. I just want them to have more games on the same day and get it done sooner.. it really juz drags on as of now..

International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    I disagree....you are basing your whole theory of dead rubber on the fact that minnows will get smashed. If you recall the last World Cup, Bangladesh was the reason for India's ouster in the 1st round and Ireland for Pak's ouster in the first round.

I understand the criticism at ICC as i am also part of it but this is stretching it. For all you care, the world cup should kick off from the QF without any 1st round games in the first place...
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

I have mixed feelings for this format. Yes there are many pointless games with the group stages being a drag but I like the fact that you have to go through 3 knockouts to lift the cup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information