Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Dead Rubber World Cup

  1. #16
    International Debutant salman85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    2,168
    Sorry Ganesh,i don't agree.

    People have been cribbing about how tedious the group stages will get for a while now.That part,is not wrong.What most people seem to be ignoring however,is the fact that after the 2007 edition,the ICC had to come up with a format to make sure that all 8 big teams advance to the knockout stage.I don't think what effected the last WC was the way minnows got smashed.I think what effected the torunament was that 2 big countries in India and Pakistan,never advanced to the knockout stages,and that automatically brought down the viewership.This is not to suggest that the ICC should format a tournament where teams from the subcontinent advance.My point is that whenever a big team goes out early,it will bring down the tournament ratings (if there is any such thing) and the vieweship,and also have an effect on the tournament itself.Now will all 8 teams virtually assured of a spot in the QFs due to the easy groups,the viewership won't go down.Plus i think interest in the tournament will persist,as comapred to a situation where a heavy weight is heading out as that particular team would take it's fanbase with it.Cricket is not a sport like football where the neutrals would have a lot of interest too,along with the regular hardcore team fans.The largest amount of vieweshhip and interest in cricket would be generated by the hardcore team fans,and as long as that is there,the tournament will be successful.

    Just my two cents.
    Last edited by salman85; 04-02-2011 at 12:19 AM.

  2. #17
    State Captain gvenkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,764
    Quote Originally Posted by salman85 View Post
    Sorry Ganesh,i don't agree.

    People have been cribbing about how tedious the group stages will get for a while now.That part,is not wrong.What most people seem to be ignoring however,is the fact that after the 2007 edition,the ICC had to come up with a format to make sure that all 8 big teams advance to the knockout stage.I don't think what effected the last WC was the way minnows got smashed.I think what effected the torunament was that 2 big countries in India and Pakistan,never advanced to the knockout stages,and that automatically brought down the viewership.This is not to suggest that the ICC should format a tournament where teams from the subcontinent advance.My point is that whenever a big team goes out early,it will bring down the tournament ratings (if there is any such thing) and the vieweship,and also have an effect on the tournament itself.Now will all 8 teams virtually assured of a spot in the QFs due to the easy groups,the viewership won't go down.Plus i think interest in the tournament will persist,as comapred to a situation where a heavy weight is heading out as that particular team would take it's fanbase with it.Cricket is not a sport like football where the neutrals would have a lot of interest too,along with the regular hardcore team fans.The largest amount of vieweshhip and interest in cricket would be generated by the hardcore team fans,and as long as that is there,the tournament will be successful.

    Just my two cents.
    Some valid points there and I agree that the main driver behind this format was $$. However to make the league stage a little bit more meaningful had they adopted the format I had suggested in the piece, the league games could have had more context. All in all still 6 teams would qualify. Of course this debate can go on for it's tough to design a format that is liked by everyone.

  3. #18
    International Coach G.I.Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    India
    Posts
    13,059
    The league games already have context. You just refuse to acknowledge it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!


    'You will look very silly said Mr Salteena with a dry laugh.
    Well so will you said Ethel in a snappy tone and she ran out of the room with a very superier run throwing out her legs behind and her arms swinging in rithum.
    Well said the owner of the house she has a most idiotick run.'


  4. #19
    Hall of Fame Member weldone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kolkata->Mumbai->London
    Posts
    15,002
    Agree with Salman and Joe, personally. Minnows have to play in ICC's flagship event, and the current format is the best one if we have to include minnows (which we should).
    "Cricket is an art. Like all arts it has a technical foundation. To enjoy it does not require technical knowledge, but analysis that is not technically based is mere impressionism."
    - C.L.R. James


  5. #20
    State Captain gvenkat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,764
    I really don't understand why ya'll don't agree to my format.

    group winners go to semis and 2,3 play knockouts....

  6. #21
    Evil Scotsman
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    away from here
    Posts
    31,211
    Quote Originally Posted by gvenkat View Post
    I really don't understand why ya'll don't agree to my format.

    group winners go to semis and 2,3 play knockouts....
    Let's say, for argument's sake, that Sri Lanka win group A, Australia finish 2nd and New Zealand finish 3rd, and India win group B, England finishing 2nd and South Africa 3rd. We'll assume as well that Australia and England win their knockout games and join Sri Lanka and India in the semis.

    There's an argument to be made that England and Australia benefit from having to play a game more, as this allows them to build up form and momentum. I don't think such a format is any fairer, and arguably disadvantages teams who finish top in the group.

    The problem with the group format isn't the format itself IMO. It's the length of time that it will take to get through the group stages. Taking a month to play the group stages is ****ing ridiculous.

  7. #22
    Request Your Custom Title Now!
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    30,974
    Does no one else like watching mismatches with minnows against top teams? I'd like to watch those just for the chance we may see another Ireland v Pakistan. If we don't at least we can get 6 sixes in an over or watch a Leverock taking a diving catch which would make most Indian fielders hang their heads in shame.

  8. #23
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    24,003
    yeah.. the format is fine.. But damn guys, have 2 or 3 games a day and get this done with..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

    Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.


    Check out this awesome e-fed:

    PWE Efed

  9. #24
    U19 Captain
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    India
    Posts
    677
    Atleast this format is better than the ridiculous thing they have done with 2015 WC. Make it 10 nations. Don have new teams exposure to cricket. Just guard it for a few elite

  10. #25
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Chennai
    Posts
    24,003
    Quote Originally Posted by jashan83 View Post
    Atleast this format is better than the ridiculous thing they have done with 2015 WC. Make it 10 nations. Don have new teams exposure to cricket. Just guard it for a few elite
    yeah.. I liked it when we had the Champions Trophy for this.. Top 8 and 2 groups of 4, semis and finals.. short and sweet among the top sides.. WC shud be an inclusive event.. Both this one and the T20s.. format is also fine as it is.. I just want them to have more games on the same day and get it done sooner.. it really juz drags on as of now..

  11. #26
    International Vice-Captain Faisal1985's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    4,272
    I disagree....you are basing your whole theory of dead rubber on the fact that minnows will get smashed. If you recall the last World Cup, Bangladesh was the reason for India's ouster in the 1st round and Ireland for Pak's ouster in the first round.

    I understand the criticism at ICC as i am also part of it but this is stretching it. For all you care, the world cup should kick off from the QF without any 1st round games in the first place...
    BE AFRIDI!
    Be VERY AFRIDI!!

  12. #27
    International Coach Xuhaib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Karachi
    Posts
    10,118
    I have mixed feelings for this format. Yes there are many pointless games with the group stages being a drag but I like the fact that you have to go through 3 knockouts to lift the cup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Future of Cricket, suggestion to the ICC
    By LA ICE-E in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 170
    Last Post: 01-12-2011, 03:16 PM
  2. England to win World Cup and save the World
    By Goughy in forum 2010 Football World Cup - South Africa
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2010, 09:43 AM
  3. Watching World cup in U.S
    By AaronK in forum 2010 ICC World Twenty20 - West Indies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 20-04-2010, 05:37 PM
  4. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-05-2009, 01:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •