• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Eden Gardens loses India-England fixture

angad

U19 12th Man
Eden Gardens loses India-England fixture

Eden Gardens will not host the World Cup game between India and England on February 27, the ICC has said. The ICC's inspection team, which included some of the leading experts in the field of stadium and ground preparation, felt that Eden Gardens would not be ready by February 27. No alternate venue for the match has yet been named.

"Regrettably, Eden Gardens has not made sufficient progress to justify the level of confidence required to confirm that the venue would be ready in good time," Haroon Lorgat, the ICC chief executive, said. "This was no easy decision to take and while it is most unfortunate, it is absolutely necessary."

The news comes just two days after the tournament director, Ratnakar Shetty, waved away worries over readiness of World Cup venues. Media personnel had been barred from a recent inspection of Eden Gardens.

The venue, one of the largest cricket stadiums in the world, has hosted some of the highest-profile matches of the previous two World Cups held in the subcontinent including the final in 1987 and the semi-final in 1996.

"All venues had ample time in which to prepare for World Cup matches," Lorgat said. "We had been understanding and had provided extensions to the deadline dates but unfortunately we are now at a point where we must carefully manage our risks.

"The Central Organising Committee had provided venues with a deadline of 30 November 2010 to complete all construction work and then to be match-ready by 31 December 2010. An extension was granted by the ICC for five venues, which were again inspected over the past week. Sadly, Eden Gardens in Kolkata was unable to meet the final deadline date of 25 January 2011."
Full report to follow

Source

:( I am feeling sad.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
There are enough grounds in India to replace easily.

Is Eden Gardens out totally or just for one match?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
CAB is esponsible for the renovation of the Eden Gardens, tbh. Not the BCCI.
True ,but the BCCI is responsible for all the grounds internationally with the world cup coming to India.

The construction of Eden Gardens has gone on for too too long now, largely due to internal wrangling between BCCI and CAB.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
True ,but the BCCI is responsible for all the grounds internationally with the world cup coming to India.

The construction of Eden Gardens has gone on for too too long now, largely due to internal wrangling between BCCI and CAB.
And the ICC is responsible for the functioning of the BCCI. We could play the blame game all day, but at the end of the day we've got to pin it on the body it was delegated to - the Cricket Association of Bengal. The other grounds have been cleared on time, the Eden Gardens haven't. Disputes between the CAB and the BCCI cannot be blamed for the delay, IMO. Time doesn't slow down because the BCCI and Dalmiya don't see eye to eye.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
They are answerable to the BCCI though, aren't they ? (genuine question, I dunno).
The BCCI are answerable to the ICC. Where does the buck stop? Someones got to take responsibility. I suggest laying it at the feet of the body actually delegated to perform the renovation, the CAB, especially considering that the other stadia in the country have been given the green signal.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The CAB are more answerable to the BCCI though ,then the BCCI is to the ICC.

Besides it is the ICC which has taken the decision to remove Eden Gardens ,not the BCCI.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The Wankhede has been approved though and so have the 3 Srilankan grounds that were up for review.

Bangalore is likely to be the alternate venue for the India - England game most likely.

As it turns out Wankhede has been also approved because the matches there begin on 13th of march and not in February.

Last edited:

sehwag fan

School Boy/Girl Captain
The BCCI are answerable to the ICC. Where does the buck stop? Someones got to take responsibility. I suggest laying it at the feet of the body actually delegated to perform the renovation, the CAB, especially considering that the other stadia in the country have been given the green signal.
BCCI president Shashank Manohar has said that the Indian board cannot be blamed for the events that led to the shifting of the World Cup match between India and England at Eden Gardens. The responsibility for organising the World Cup, Manohar said, lay with the ICC. :laugh::laugh:

Dalmiya >>.CAB President | BCCI Blame

"I don't think the BCCI should be blamed for this," BCCI spokesman Rajiv Shukla to AFP.

"These things happen.:sleep: I am sure the organising committee will choose a suitable venue soon for that game. But there is no doubt the remaining matches in Kolkata will be held on schedule."

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
How can this happen? Seriously, been so long since I've watched any cricket from Eden Gardens. Was really looking forward to this.

Where is the final scheduled to be played, out of interest?

sehwag fan

School Boy/Girl Captain
How can this happen? Seriously, been so long since I've watched any cricket from Eden Gardens. Was really looking forward to this.

Where is the final scheduled to be played, out of interest?
Bangalore

This happened because CAB ( Cricket Association of bengal ) and BCCI do not see eye to eye.