Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bangladesh Discussion!

Bangladesh Discussion!

After the longest drama ever witnessed by cricket enthusiasts and fans that lasted more than a week, the Bangladesh WC squad has finally been named!

And unfortunately Mashrafe Bin Mortaza is not in the squad!

He still is not bowling with his full run-up and is not expected to do so until the last part of this month. He is however considered as a replacement for later on if the situation arises.

The final 15 for the world cup are as follows: Shakib Al Hasan* (Captain), Tamim Iqbal (Vice Captain), Imrul Kayes, Junaid Siddique, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Mohammad Ashraful, Mushfiqur Rahim †, Naeem Islam, Mahmudullah, Abdur Razzak, Rubel Hossain, Shafiul Islam, Nazmul Hossain, Suhrawadi Shuvo.
    Prowling tiger crouching low
    Ready to unleash its lethal blow
    Its eyes on the mighty prey
    Today the hunter will become the hunted!!!!!

No Mortaza is a blow but if he isn't fully fit he could have been a liability, only able to bowl five overs or such.

How many chances do with think Ashraful can really get? The way he's been playing, Bangladesh may want to play their full deck of spinning allrounders to try and take some pressure off the seamers.

Shurawadi against Naeem is a tough call but on current form I'd take the leftie. With Razzak and Shakib dead certs, I'd understand playing Naeem for variety.

I still think that they are more than capable of an upset, but they are so heavily reliant on individual performances (and their fielding, for a young side, is still not up to scratch) and so they won't be able to keep it going.

Starting XI: Tamim Iqbal, Junaid Siddique, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Shakib Al Hasan*, Mushfiqur Rahim†, Mahmudullah, Shurawadi Shuvo, Abdur Razzak, Shaiful Islam, Rubel Hossain
    I'm always suspicious of shops that sell bait.

Plops Champion! Tournaments Won: 2
    Ashraful has been bowling well recently so I wouldn't be surprised to see him get in the team as a bowling option.

Tamim
    Kayes
    Siddique
    Raqibul
    Shakib
    Shuvo
    Rahim (+)
    Mahmudullah
    Razzak
    Shafiul
    Rubel

I'd like to see Nafees in that team but I can't see him getting in ahead of Kayes or Siddique. I'd also have liked to see Nazimuddin get in the team, Bangers need a proper number 6. Team could definitely cause a few upsets.
    Direbirds FTW!

Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Here's hoping Ashraful comes good.
    "I will go down as Darren Sammy, the one who always smiles" - Darren Sammy

Cricketer Of The Year Hurricane's Avatar
    Reckon their fielding was pretty good against NZ and Engerlund.
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    I got great enjoyment in going to the game and shouting "WHY THE **** ISN'T THIS GAME BEING PLAYED AT THE BASIN?!>!?!?" to reasonably significant cheers from the sparse crowd
    Proudly against the bring back Bennett movement since he is injury prone and won't last 5 days.

MEH and WEE!!!!!

Negative Situation: Dire is the situation with Mortaza. He's saying he knows he won't be playing the World Cup. The board has said that, if he becomes fit by the second week of February, he will be kept as a replacement player, and yet, he is trying to fast track his recovery process and risk his entire career for what? Maybe a CHANCE to play in the World Cup at home?

Dire! And then you have his home town with Asian passion, with a strike one day, followed by a hunger strike and a 2km long human chain with 2000 people participating in the "event".

The players got a 5 day break, but honestly Shakib has been running around doing more than his fare share and so has Rubel who has been there walking Mashrafe every step of the way, trying to help out his team mate.

Positive Awesomeness: Ian Pont's developed mystery ball, the "Butterfly Ball" will be in full use by the Bangladeshi fast bowlers in the World Cup. Rubel's top speed is 146 kph with an average around 136 kph - 138 kph. Shafiul's top has been clocked at around 141 kph-142 kph and average around 132 kph - 134 kph. While Nazmul is the seamer who skids the ball at a breezy medium pace. So the fast bowlers are well set for these conditions. And the spinners are gun anyways, especially now with an in form Abdur Razzak !

Rubel attempting to master a "mystery" ball sounds worrying to me - he is capable of some decent speed but what he really needs to be working on - as is to be expected with a roundarm action - is his accuracy and control of pace.

Hey How_zat,

True Rubel needs to work on his accuracy, but the butterfly is a slower ball, which should be comparatively easier for him and the perfect weapon for Mortaza and Nazmul.

I agree with you post every bit though. Ashraful is...I am at a loss for words right now. The selectors are biased, let me just leave it at that. And Shakib, Tamim and Siddons also wanted him in.

As for the spinners, they can choke the crap out of anyone, BUT any team playing in Mirpur should watch out for the dew factor in the day night matches. Spinners are rendered completely useless in the evening as the grip on the ball is terrible. The side batting second will bloody murder!

I just shudder to think what a difference it would make if India is batting second and Yusuf Pathan is on strike during a powerplay!

Cricket Spectator
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger_Tiger View Post

I just shudder to think what a difference it would make if India is batting second and Yusuf Pathan is on strike during a powerplay!
    That is one scary prospect :|

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger_Tiger View Post
    Ashraful is...I am at a loss for words right now. The selectors are biased, let me just leave it at that. And Shakib, Tamim and Siddons also wanted him in.
    Well I am not sure about the biased part. At the end of the day he got back into the side by performing in the domestic league and he does have the experience of playing in two world cups. In fact he played really well in the last version held in the Caribbean. So, I think his selection is justified.

Mashrafe is training with the squad of selected 15 players, we would get to know on the first week of February whether he actually stands a chance of playing in the competition.

This would be my starting lineup against India on the 19th:

Tamim Iqbal
    Imrul Kayes
    Shahriar Nafees
    Mohammad Ashraful
    Shakib Al Hasan
    Mushfiqur Rahim
    Mahmudullah Riyad
    Naeem Islam
    Abdur Razzaq
    Shafiul Islam
    Rubel Hossain

Picking two all-rounders from our pool of three would be a touch and go decision in almost every match since all three of them have performed over the past 1 year or so.

Although Shuvo is a better bowler than Naeem, I went for Naeem. Also I have picked Mahmudullah over Shuvo because he has a very good record against India. Even the last time when India toured Bangladesh, he played some important innings lower down the order.

Ashraful is a big match player and it doesn't get any bigger than Bangladesh vs India, opening game of World Cup 2011 at Mirpur. So I am willing to gamble on Ashraful.

International Debutant M0rphin3's Avatar
    Tamim Iqbal
    Imrul Kayes
    Shahriar Nafees
    Shakib Al Hasan*
    Mushfiqur Rahim+
    Mahmudullah Riyad
    Naeem Islam
    Nazmul Hossain
    Abdur Razzaq
    Shafiul Islam
    Rubel Hossain

No Ashraful imo, though it's highly unlikely that he'll be omitted from the XI.
    Last edited by M0rphin3; 29-01-2011 at 08:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
    give 21yo smith a break. bradmans figures for his first few tests were comparable.....

Proud Supporter of: Shakib Al Hasan, Kane Williamson, Adam Milne

Would have picked Jahurul or Nazimuddin ahead of Ashraful in the fifteen to begin with tbh.
    ~ Cribbage

School Boy/Girl Captain Challis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Would have picked Jahurul or Nazimuddin ahead of Ashraful in the fifteen to begin with tbh.
    Jahurul is a good player but I think he is more suited to the longer format rather than limited overs cricket, he has a very ordinary domestic List A record. Nazimuddin has been overlooked for so long, he certainly deserves a chance, be it in limited overs or the longer version. But the reality is these are two of many players that deserve to be in (or at least deserved to be given a chance in previous games), ahead of Ashraful. Therein lies the problem; the selectors never tried any new players in the recent ODIs, so left themselves short when selecting this squad.
    The major problem with the chosen squad is that there is no aggressive hitter/finisher down the order. It would have been nice to have atleast one player ideally coming in at number 6 or 7 who could accelerate the innings in the last 10 overs, particularly in the powerplay. This is where Bangladesh have failed to convert potential winning positions. Look at their record in the last 10 overs, it's dismal to say the least:-

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine...ry/497612.html

They have Shakib in at 5 but then Mahmadullah Riyad and Naeem at 6 and 7 have failed on numerous occasions to keep the momentum going. These two are top order batsmen who take time to get set but when coming in at 6and 7 look uncomfortable. Maybe Ashraful could do this role, I'd prefer him there rather than at number 4 if he has to be in the lineup.

Out of the chosen squad I hope for something like this:

Tamim Iqbal
    Imrul Kayes
    Junaid Siddique/Shahriar Nafees (start with JS but if he fails in the first few games replace with SN)
    Mushfiqur Rahim (WK)
    Shakib Al Hasan (C)
    Naeem Islam
    Ashraful
    Shafiul Islam
    Abdur Razzak
    Suhrawadi Shuvo/Nazmul Hossain (choose accordingly depending on pitch)
    Rubel hossain

I would have picked Shabbir Rahman in the Zimbabwe series to see test him and give him some experience, not many people would have heard of him but in a year or two they will. I think he could be Bangladesh's next superstar. He and Nasir Hossain could be the answer to the Bangladesh's problems at number 6 and 7.
    Last edited by Challis; 29-01-2011 at 07:52 PM.

Yeah Jahurul is gun imo, should make a great lower order bat (though he's an opener) in the death overs. And is a better keeper than Rahim too.

Quote Originally Posted by M0rphin3 View Post
    Yeah Jahurul is gun imo, should make a great lower order bat (though he's an opener) in the death overs. And is a better keeper than Rahim too.
    Makes me wonder what Rahim would be like if he could give up the gloves and focus on his batting, particularly if he moved up the order. Has a gun technique for it.

Makes me wonder what Rahim would be like if he could give up the gloves and focus on his batting, particularly if he moved up the order. Has a gun technique for it.
    Yeah that and he scores at good rate unlike Raqibul. Top player of spin too, should bat at #4 at least. Him and Mahmudulah (if he's gonna play) should bat at the top order, them batting at 6 and 7 doesn't make much sense at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information