• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladesh Discussion!

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain
After the longest drama ever witnessed by cricket enthusiasts and fans that lasted more than a week, the Bangladesh WC squad has finally been named!

And unfortunately Mashrafe Bin Mortaza is not in the squad!

He still is not bowling with his full run-up and is not expected to do so until the last part of this month. He is however considered as a replacement for later on if the situation arises.

The final 15 for the world cup are as follows: Shakib Al Hasan* (Captain), Tamim Iqbal (Vice Captain), Imrul Kayes, Junaid Siddique, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Mohammad Ashraful, Mushfiqur Rahim †, Naeem Islam, Mahmudullah, Abdur Razzak, Rubel Hossain, Shafiul Islam, Nazmul Hossain, Suhrawadi Shuvo.

Howe_zat

Audio File
No Mortaza is a blow but if he isn't fully fit he could have been a liability, only able to bowl five overs or such.

How many chances do with think Ashraful can really get? The way he's been playing, Bangladesh may want to play their full deck of spinning allrounders to try and take some pressure off the seamers.

Shurawadi against Naeem is a tough call but on current form I'd take the leftie. With Razzak and Shakib dead certs, I'd understand playing Naeem for variety.

I still think that they are more than capable of an upset, but they are so heavily reliant on individual performances (and their fielding, for a young side, is still not up to scratch) and so they won't be able to keep it going.

Starting XI: Tamim Iqbal, Junaid Siddique, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Shakib Al Hasan*, Mushfiqur Rahim†, Mahmudullah, Shurawadi Shuvo, Abdur Razzak, Shaiful Islam, Rubel Hossain

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ashraful has been bowling well recently so I wouldn't be surprised to see him get in the team as a bowling option.

Tamim
Kayes
Siddique
Raqibul
Shakib
Shuvo
Rahim (+)
Mahmudullah
Razzak
Shafiul
Rubel

I'd like to see Nafees in that team but I can't see him getting in ahead of Kayes or Siddique. I'd also have liked to see Nazimuddin get in the team, Bangers need a proper number 6. Team could definitely cause a few upsets.

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain
MEH and WEE!!!!!

Negative Situation: Dire is the situation with Mortaza. He's saying he knows he won't be playing the World Cup. The board has said that, if he becomes fit by the second week of February, he will be kept as a replacement player, and yet, he is trying to fast track his recovery process and risk his entire career for what? Maybe a CHANCE to play in the World Cup at home?

Dire! And then you have his home town with Asian passion, with a strike one day, followed by a hunger strike and a 2km long human chain with 2000 people participating in the "event".

The players got a 5 day break, but honestly Shakib has been running around doing more than his fare share and so has Rubel who has been there walking Mashrafe every step of the way, trying to help out his team mate.

Positive Awesomeness: Ian Pont's developed mystery ball, the "Butterfly Ball" will be in full use by the Bangladeshi fast bowlers in the World Cup. Rubel's top speed is 146 kph with an average around 136 kph - 138 kph. Shafiul's top has been clocked at around 141 kph-142 kph and average around 132 kph - 134 kph. While Nazmul is the seamer who skids the ball at a breezy medium pace. So the fast bowlers are well set for these conditions. And the spinners are gun anyways, especially now with an in form Abdur Razzak :)!

Howe_zat

Audio File
Rubel attempting to master a "mystery" ball sounds worrying to me - he is capable of some decent speed but what he really needs to be working on - as is to be expected with a roundarm action - is his accuracy and control of pace.

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain
Hey How_zat,

True Rubel needs to work on his accuracy, but the butterfly is a slower ball, which should be comparatively easier for him and the perfect weapon for Mortaza and Nazmul.

I agree with you post every bit though. Ashraful is...I am at a loss for words right now. The selectors are biased, let me just leave it at that. And Shakib, Tamim and Siddons also wanted him in.

As for the spinners, they can choke the crap out of anyone, BUT any team playing in Mirpur should watch out for the dew factor in the day night matches. Spinners are rendered completely useless in the evening as the grip on the ball is terrible. The side batting second will bloody murder!

I just shudder to think what a difference it would make if India is batting second and Yusuf Pathan is on strike during a powerplay!

MagaMan

Cricket Spectator
I just shudder to think what a difference it would make if India is batting second and Yusuf Pathan is on strike during a powerplay!
That is one scary prospect :|

Ashraful is...I am at a loss for words right now. The selectors are biased, let me just leave it at that. And Shakib, Tamim and Siddons also wanted him in.
Well I am not sure about the biased part. At the end of the day he got back into the side by performing in the domestic league and he does have the experience of playing in two world cups. In fact he played really well in the last version held in the Caribbean. So, I think his selection is justified.

Mashrafe is training with the squad of selected 15 players, we would get to know on the first week of February whether he actually stands a chance of playing in the competition.

This would be my starting lineup against India on the 19th:

Tamim Iqbal
Imrul Kayes
Shahriar Nafees
Mohammad Ashraful
Shakib Al Hasan
Mushfiqur Rahim
Mahmudullah Riyad
Naeem Islam
Abdur Razzaq
Shafiul Islam
Rubel Hossain

Picking two all-rounders from our pool of three would be a touch and go decision in almost every match since all three of them have performed over the past 1 year or so.

Although Shuvo is a better bowler than Naeem, I went for Naeem. Also I have picked Mahmudullah over Shuvo because he has a very good record against India. Even the last time when India toured Bangladesh, he played some important innings lower down the order.

Ashraful is a big match player and it doesn't get any bigger than Bangladesh vs India, opening game of World Cup 2011 at Mirpur. So I am willing to gamble on Ashraful.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Tamim Iqbal
Imrul Kayes
Shahriar Nafees
Shakib Al Hasan*
Mushfiqur Rahim+
Mahmudullah Riyad
Naeem Islam
Nazmul Hossain
Abdur Razzaq
Shafiul Islam
Rubel Hossain

No Ashraful imo, though it's highly unlikely that he'll be omitted from the XI.

Last edited:

Challis

U19 12th Man
Would have picked Jahurul or Nazimuddin ahead of Ashraful in the fifteen to begin with tbh.
Jahurul is a good player but I think he is more suited to the longer format rather than limited overs cricket, he has a very ordinary domestic List A record. Nazimuddin has been overlooked for so long, he certainly deserves a chance, be it in limited overs or the longer version. But the reality is these are two of many players that deserve to be in (or at least deserved to be given a chance in previous games), ahead of Ashraful. Therein lies the problem; the selectors never tried any new players in the recent ODIs, so left themselves short when selecting this squad.
The major problem with the chosen squad is that there is no aggressive hitter/finisher down the order. It would have been nice to have atleast one player ideally coming in at number 6 or 7 who could accelerate the innings in the last 10 overs, particularly in the powerplay. This is where Bangladesh have failed to convert potential winning positions. Look at their record in the last 10 overs, it's dismal to say the least:-

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/497612.html

They have Shakib in at 5 but then Mahmadullah Riyad and Naeem at 6 and 7 have failed on numerous occasions to keep the momentum going. These two are top order batsmen who take time to get set but when coming in at 6and 7 look uncomfortable. Maybe Ashraful could do this role, I'd prefer him there rather than at number 4 if he has to be in the lineup.

Out of the chosen squad I hope for something like this:

Tamim Iqbal
Imrul Kayes
Junaid Siddique/Shahriar Nafees (start with JS but if he fails in the first few games replace with SN)
Mushfiqur Rahim (WK)
Shakib Al Hasan (C)
Naeem Islam
Ashraful
Shafiul Islam
Abdur Razzak
Suhrawadi Shuvo/Nazmul Hossain (choose accordingly depending on pitch)
Rubel hossain

I would have picked Shabbir Rahman in the Zimbabwe series to see test him and give him some experience, not many people would have heard of him but in a year or two they will. I think he could be Bangladesh's next superstar. He and Nasir Hossain could be the answer to the Bangladesh's problems at number 6 and 7.

Last edited:

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Would have picked Jahurul or Nazimuddin ahead of Ashraful in the fifteen to begin with tbh.
Yeah Jahurul is gun imo, should make a great lower order bat (though he's an opener) in the death overs. And is a better keeper than Rahim too.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah Jahurul is gun imo, should make a great lower order bat (though he's an opener) in the death overs. And is a better keeper than Rahim too.
Makes me wonder what Rahim would be like if he could give up the gloves and focus on his batting, particularly if he moved up the order. Has a gun technique for it.

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Makes me wonder what Rahim would be like if he could give up the gloves and focus on his batting, particularly if he moved up the order. Has a gun technique for it.
Yeah that and he scores at good rate unlike Raqibul. Top player of spin too, should bat at #4 at least. Him and Mahmudulah (if he's gonna play) should bat at the top order, them batting at 6 and 7 doesn't make much sense at all.

cnerd123

likes this
What are the odds that Nafees gets a game in the starting XI, considering he didn't feature much against NZ and Zim?

Ash selected again, hopefully, hopefully he'll come good. It's unlikely but not impossible.

I don't think there is much wrong with Raqibul in the top 4. He can build an innings well.

No reserve keeper isn't a worry because a) It's extremely unlikely Rahim would be dropped for Jahrulal based on form and b) If Rahim gets injured, they have the luxury of being able to fly in a replacement on short notice.

The XI we'll probably see is:

Tamim
Kayes/Siddique
Ash
Raqibul
Shakib (*)
Rahim (+)
Naeem
Shuvo
Razzaq
Shaiful
Rubel

Mahmadullah misses out to make room for Ash. Kayes AND Siddique cannot fit in the lineup either, especially since Shuvo has been bowling so well and the Left Arm Spin Trident of Death (Shuvo/Razzaq/Shakib) has been working so well of late. Naeem gets in because Shakib is a fan of him, he's a good fielder, and is more capable of the late-innings cameo that Mahmadullah.

I wouldn't mind seeing Rahim shuffle up to 4 and Raqibul to 3, with Ash in the lower order either. Wonder if they would experiment with that, Siddons seems quite happy playing each player in their role - the batsmen bat in the top order and the allrounders lower down.