Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greed threatens to make long-winded World Cup a tedious tournament

Banned

Greed threatens to make long-winded World Cup a tedious tournament

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Yeah I read this......I do believe the author has a point.....most of the league games really do lack any excitement because the groups are so big and more than half of them will go through
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

I like that we have quarterfinals, so I can't make an unbiased comment on this. I do think World Cups could be scheduled better with 2 concurrent matches every day in the league phase, which the terms of TV rights sale by the ICC don't seem to allow for. The '96 WC was the first one I followed with any seriousness, and part of the festive charm was the concept of being able to switch over to watching another match if one wasn't interesting enough.
    Last edited by G.I.Joe; 19-01-2011 at 11:53 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

The group stages have the potential for tedium, but at least the rest of the tournament follows a knockout format, rather than the mind numbing boredom of the "Super Eights".

Plus, I like the fact that the associates who have qualified get 6 games. Makes the competition far more worthwhile for them, and gets their players a bit of exposure.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    The group stages have the potential for tedium, but at least the rest of the tournament follows a knockout format, rather than the mind numbing boredom of the "Super Eights".

Plus, I like the fact that the associates who have qualified get 6 games. Makes the competition far more worthwhile for them, and gets their players a bit of exposure.
    True enough, but given the group stages amount to 42 games and the KOs only 7, I really don't like those filler/meaningful games odds one bit.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"The committee discussed the issue of illegal bowling actions, and believed that there are a number of bowlers currently employing suspect actions in international cricket, and that the ICC's reporting and testing procedures are not adequately scrutinising these bowlers."
    - Even the ICC's own official press release thinks things must change

International Debutant Cruxdude's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    I like that we have quarterfinals, so I can't make an unbiased comment on this. I do think World Cups could be scheduled better with 2 concurrent matches every day in the league phase, which the terms of TV rights sale by the ICC don't seem to allow for. The '96 WC was the first one I followed with any seriousness, and part of the festive charm was the concept of being able to switch over to watching another match if one wasn't interesting enough.
    Agree with the part about WC1996. It was great fun to watch 2 games at a time. Any time you are bored check on the other match.

About the league stages being long, I do not care as I think that gives slow starters like India a chance to play themselves in. Wouldn't want a cold start meaning the end of the world cup.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    It seems like it's just a big warm up for the quarter finals tbh. Hopefully Zimbabwe and Bangladesh step up and make the race to the quarters an interesting one.
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    It seems like it's just a big warm up for the quarter finals tbh. Hopefully Zimbabwe and Bangladesh step up and make the race to the quarters an interesting one.
    Yeah, I'd love a nation from outside of the "big 8" to qualify for the quarters but just can't see it. Even if (say) Bangladesh knock over (say) England and the two other minnows there's a sporting chance that they could still go out on RR if England beat one of the other proper test nations and the minnows.

Hope it'll be a better tournament than 2007 but if it is I think it'll be in spite of the format rather than because of it.

I love cricket, holding it close as I do to my bossom.

However, having been through the schedule, I will only be watching 14 of the 42 pool games.

It's meant to be cricket's showpiece, but only one-third of the games are worth a look.
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    I would put good money on Bangladesh making it, especially as they're playing in conditions they're used to.

Zimbabwe are too e to do much though IMO.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Bun
    Banned
    How many more matches are played in this world cup as compared to previous ones?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post

However, having been through the schedule, I will only be watching 14 of the 42 pool games.

It's meant to be cricket's showpiece, but only one-third of the games are worth a look.
    This

Bun
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by howardj View Post

What are those 14 matches?

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    What are those 14 matches?
    test nations playing against each other

Simon Champion!
    The Super six would have been better for my liking,but then the groups would have to be shortened and there would be more room for one bad game and your out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information