• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greed threatens to make long-winded World Cup a tedious tournament

Lostman

State Captain
IMO this is what the format should've been this time around-

2 groups of 7 teams each
1st placed team in each group qualifies for the semi-final straight away.
2 play-offs to decide the other 2 semi-finalists - Team who finishes 2nd in each group faces the 3rd placed team from the other group.

This format ensures that there is everything to play for throughout the group stage.
The weaker nations will strive hard to finish 3rd in order to earn themselves a play-off match and the top nations will strive to finish 1st so that they can qualify straight to the semis.

Thoughts?
This only 3 qualify from the groups and the best team gets a semi final berth.
Kinda like the NFL system.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah I'm really happy with Centurymaker's suggestion, it would certainly ensure more matches are important and I like rewarding first place with an automatic semi final berth.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I like centurymaker's suggestion too, except that I'm not sure how it'd affect the top team not playing as many matches as their eventual semi final opponent.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
What I'd do......

Have 5 groups of 3 teams. Each team plays each other once.
Top team of every group goes into a super 5 sort of thing. Again, each team plays each other once.
1st immediately qualifies for the final, 2 and 3 play off for the other spot.

Won't happen because there aren't 15 teams however.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
What I'd do......

Have 5 groups of 3 teams. Each team plays each other once.
Top team of every group goes into a super 5 sort of thing. Again, each team plays each other once.
1st immediately qualifies for the final, 2 and 3 play off for the other spot.

Won't happen because there aren't 15 teams however.
This format sucks even more than the 2007 one. :p

Theoretically you could lose just one match and be out of the World Cup.

gvenkat

State Captain
This format is appalling to say the least one. Group A is so predictable. The only interest in group B is whether Bangla can upset one of England, SA or WI. Even that would not be enough for the other three sides can still make it.

42 games to eliminate 4 minnows ..

The best format is 12 teams. 2 groups of 6 each = 30 games

Super Eights with Points Carried over = 16 Games

Semis and Finals . 3 Games =

Total = 49 games

I say super eights because theoretically that would allow the big 8 to play each other once at least unless there is an upset. Even if a team sucks in the league stage they have a chance to redeem themselves in Super 8.

The idea of having 4 minnows is absolutely meaningless.. The finalists of the ICC trophy should go that's it. And they should abolish the champions trophy. The next WC is going to just 10 teams. Would be interesting to see how they pick the teams.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
Just as a side note, it seems like all the WC hatred mainly comes from the Indian fans. Theoretically you can be k.o of the twenty20 world cup from losing just one match, but you guys don't complain about that. Possibly because you've won one now?

salman85

International Debutant
I like the format. And i'll be honest when i say that i'm a little biased, since this gives Pakistan the chance to move beyond the group stages and into the quarters. I understand that having some new teams in the big matches does give things a fresh touch,but i would rather have the big guns have a go against each other when it matters most.This way,the knockout matches will be balanced.Call me old fashioned,but i would rather have the QFs with all big teams than with a minnow.

And seriously,every hardcore supporter would want his/her team to progress to the Quarters.This format offers exactly that,making sure that everything is desgined to assist the big teams.Interest in the last world cup declined partly because of the long schedule,and partly because India and Pakistan went home early.It is only normal for the ICC to not take any risk this time,and offer a smooth path to the big teams.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Just as a side note, it seems like all the WC hatred mainly comes from the Indian fans. Theoretically you can be k.o of the twenty20 world cup from losing just one match, but you guys don't complain about that. Possibly because you've won one now?
And what was 1983 then?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Think this format might actually suprise people come the end of it.

I understand people's points about there being 42 group games and only 7 knockout games - however each team will have played 6 games by the knockout stages, that's plenty of time for players to hit form, and by the knockout stages we'll have a decent idea of where all the teams are at.

Then, come the knockout stages, it's sudden death. Bad over, bad period of play, players losing and holding their nerve at crucial stages will be the difference between success and failure. The lack of a stand out team like Australia were at the last World Cup will only add to that excitment.

The main gripe I've got with the format is how ****ing long the group stages will take to complete - that's a far bigger issue than the number of games.