• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which is the team that you would least want your side to face in a knockout clash...

Blaze 18

Banned
...at this year's World Cup ?

My list for India

1) Australia
2) Sri Lanka
3) England
4) Pakistan
5) South Africa
6) West Indies
7) New Zealand

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Depend on what happens in the ODI series coming up, but recently England have had a good record against us in tournaments. Add the Ashes, and they'd be the mob I'd be least comfortable against.

Teja.

Global Moderator
In the Semis or Finals, Pakistan.

Before that, Sri Lanka.

Because if Pakistan are playing well enough to reach the last four, any team is ****ed.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We haven't lost an ODI tournament in 6 years, so it's hard to say.

Probably England, thinking about it. India are pretty worrying as well.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Historically I'd say Australia, because they always seem to step up.

However I feel we have the edge at the moment over them so will go for India as it seems all set up for them.

vcs

Pakistan is the team I'd most hate for us to lose to. Agree with your list, but would probably have them one or two places higher for that reason alone.

Uppercut

I'd be so overjoyed with a knockout appearance that I wouldn't mind in the slightest.

But since you asked, India. They're quite simply head and shoulders above everyone else at home.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Because if Pakistan are playing well enough to reach the last four, any team is ****ed.
Well that was true when their team actually had limitless potential and constantly under-performed. It's just not that good as it stands IMO; if they're playing well enough to make the final four teams this time around I reckon that'll be their peak.

Teams seem to acquire reputations merely by sharing a common name with teams gone by.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

South Africa for me, Steyn is the one bowler in the world who can change a game in a few overs. He does that and you are out.

smash84

The Tiger King
South Africa for me, Steyn is the one bowler in the world who can change a game in a few overs. He does that and you are out.
As i stated earlier Dale Steyn is NOT the best bowler in the world in the ODI format. Please check his ODI record.

Bowling records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

It really is not great.

considering India are the arch-rivals and we have NEVER beaten them in a world cup match (not even in 1992 when we won the world cup) and they also kicked us out of the world cup in a knock-out stage (we had a strong team back then in 96) and that I hate Bhajji's celebration style the most amongst all players.............I would have to say it is INDIA.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I'd have to say Pakistan. I know there's no such thing as the law of averages, but they're due to beat us at the WC sometime, and I'd hate for that to happen in a knock out match. I still remember watching the '96 quarterfinal, and the Saeed Anwar and Aamir Sohail partnership gave me a sinking feeling like no other.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
As i stated earlier Dale Steyn is NOT the best bowler in the world in the ODI format. Please check his ODI record.

It really is not great.

considering India are the arch-rivals and we have NEVER beaten them in a world cup match (not even in 1992 when we won the world cup) and they also kicked us out of the world cup in a knock-out stage (we had a strong team back then in 96) and that I hate Bhajji's celebration style the most amongst all players.............I would have to say it is INDIA.
Just because he hasn't done that well in a relatively short ODI career so far doesn't mean he can't blow you away in one spell. He definitely can do that and, I reckon, will do that in the world cup.

Eds

International Debutant
1) Australia
2) South Africa
3) India
4) D
5) A
6) Y
7) L
8) I
9) G
10) H
11) T
12) Rest.

Uppercut

It really is not great.

I'd have to say Pakistan. I know there's no such thing as the law of averages, but they're due to beat us at the WC sometime, and I'd hate for that to happen in a knock out match. I still remember watching the '96 quarterfinal, and the Saeed Anwar and Aamir Sohail partnership gave me a sinking feeling like no other.
It's funny that you guys say this because the one pairing I'd most love to see in a knockout stage match is India-Pakistan.

Howe_zat

Audio File
It's funny that you guys say this because the one pairing I'd most love to see in a knockout stage match is India-Pakistan.
Me too. All the politics has meant that they meet so little nowadays. So the matches mean even more than they already would in what's pretty much the fiercest rivalry in cricket* - and it's always going to be more competitive in a knockout game.

*Not as important as the Ashes to me, but, you know, speaking for the majority...