• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B General Discussion

Teja.

Global Moderator
Sree winning a WC medal would surely be reason for celebration tbf.

India most certainly is not winning though. SA has a murderous top-order too and actually has a bowling attack.

Blaze 18

Banned
Haha, we'll see how "murderous" they are in the knockout games. It looks like they'll be facing Pakistan in the quarters, a much better side under pressure. We'll wait and see if South Africa can walk the walk when it matters. Given their history, I will not be waiting with bated breath.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Sree winning a WC medal would surely be reason for celebration tbf.

India most certainly is not winning though. SA has a murderous top-order too and actually has a bowling attack.
This is what they said back in 83'. And we all know what happen. I'm surprised by the lack of belief people can show when it comes down to sports. Such is the beauty of it that you can expect the unexpected. We've seen it throughout history. Cricket is not played on paper, no sport is. And this is why self-belief, and passion are two of the most important characteristics to achieve the impossible. And this sort of mentality transfers over in other facets of life. There've been many times when I've been down and out against the opposition (in whatever form it has come), but you have to persevere, believe, and be positive to overcome adversity. And when I watch cricket (or any sport for that matter), and when I cheer for India, I cheer for them in the same way.

As for the bolded part, if I had said the same about England or some other team, 100 people + Sanz would jump on my back for being "patronising and condescending".

cnerd123

likes this
BD need to beat Netherlands. Then the West Indies have to beat England. Then BD have to put up a fight against South Africa. Only then can we get into the quarters.

Once in the quarters...we need 3 good nights. How I pray for a miracle. England losing to WI too...most likely not happening (especially since England know they HAVE to win that game). I reckon BD are gonna struggle today chasing against Netherlands as it is. Sigh.

Wayy too difficult to predict who'll win this WC. I had my bets on Lanka but they've disappointed thus far...Dilshan might have just gotten himself back into form tho so that helps. Australia have been efficient and you won't expect them to choke in the KO Stage - if any they're the best bet to probably survive and win at this point. RSA have the best side but their history of choking doesn't help them. Pak might implode at the wrong time, even though they have been quite impressive so far (last 6 overs against NZ aside). NZ cannot be underestimated. WI should not be underestimated. And ofcourse there is India, with a billion fans behind them; although one must questions their desire and MSD's tactics at times.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm on the brink of cheering for SA for the WC tbh. I've never been that emotionally connected with the Indian ODI side(unlike my love for the test side) and watching SA bowl is an absolute treat plus I have money on South Africa and some of the Indian players seem to have a **** attitude re the WC.

Will probably change if Sreesanth plays, mind. :ph34r:

Just want to watch the best cricket possible really and with India it seems to be a case of incredibly disproportionate ability between bat and ball which leads to the game panning out to be Get hit for a million runs and score a million runs. I reckon I'd enjoy a final between anyone among SA/Pak/Oz more than one involving India. There I said it.
GAGFC. :p

If you think you have it bad now, you should have seen some of India's sides in the '90s.

/old man rant

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In fact this WC is very entertaining in general.. it has already produced more close games in the group stages than the last two World Cups did put together. The format is flawed, but many games have been thrillers.

Mikey29

Banned
In fact this WC is very entertaining in general.. it has already produced more close games in the group stages than the last two World Cups did put together. The format is flawed, but many games have been thrillers.
Yup, very fulfilling world cup so far. I enjoyed 99 to an extent (more towards the end it got exciting), 2003 was ok (SA v WI, Ind v Pak), 2007 was horrid entertainmnet, but this is awesome.

Interestingly, a lot of that has to do with associate teams.

Great matches so far (From best to least, in my opinion)
India v England
England v South Africa
England v Ireland
Sri Lanka v Pakistan
India v South Africa
Bangladesh v England
Eng v Netherlands

Honourable mentions:
Canada v Pakistan
NZ v Pakistan (for the last 5 overs of NZ innings alone)

Highly entertaining World Cup so far

Challis

U19 12th Man
I prefer this format to the one in the last World Cup, less likely to get a team knocked out due to an anomaly result.
The only criticisms I have are that it is too long and some of the Associates have not been good enough, particularly in Group A. I am a little disappointed with Zimbabwe, I thought they could have caused an upset or two.
Imagine what it could have been like if the Associate teams and Zimbabwe were playing at the level and standard that Ireland have been. For me Ireland have been the revelation of this competition and it would be a travesty if they were not able to play in the next World Cup.
I understand the ICC's point about the standard of competition but the Associate nations are never going to get better if they do not get to play against the stronger nations. Rather than limit it to 10 teams, if they kept the same format but with 12 teams (10 test playing nations + two best Associates) then it may work. Moreover give more ODI games to the Associates against the stringer teams in between the World Cups to help them improve.

Also it may be a good idea to give a bigger advantage to those who finish in the top 2 of the groups, as they don't always get to play the "weaker" teams in the knockouts. Maybe instead of a toss the top 2 of the groups could have the choice of fielding or batting first in their respective knockout games. This might ensure that there is always something to play for in all the group games.

smash84

The Tiger King
I'm on the brink of cheering for SA for the WC tbh. I've never been that emotionally connected with the Indian ODI side(unlike my love for the test side) and watching SA bowl is an absolute treat plus I have money on South Africa and some of the Indian players seem to have a **** attitude re the WC.

Will probably change if Sreesanth plays, mind. :ph34r:

Just want to watch the best cricket possible really and with India it seems to be a case of incredibly disproportionate ability between bat and ball which leads to the game panning out to be Get hit for a million runs and score a million runs. I reckon I'd enjoy a final between anyone among SA/Pak/Oz more than one involving India. There I said it.
:lol:

Vintage Teja. I am sure with the kind of radical views that you hold you probably burn a lot of feathers at school.

England most certainly is not winning too. ;)
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Someone please update me about what happens if WI win against England. I know Eng are out, but what implications does it have on the other teams?

cnerd123

likes this
BD would have gone through had WI won.

But as it stands, BD now need to beat South Africa to stay in the tourney.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
I think this group will finish in the following order

South Africa
India
England
West Indies

Group A will probably end up with

Pakistan (I am biased :) )
Sri Lanka
Australia
New Zealand