• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B General Discussion

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Well said, it really frustrates me that no matter what the West Indies do they always get underestimated, a lot of people were saying it would not even be an upset if they lost to Bangladesh and they bundled them out for their lowest ever score 58 as you say, they are a dangerous team who can beat anyone on their day.
The problem is their attack is spearheaded by just one bowler, Roach, and with Barath out injured, I daresay the majority of the runs needs to come from Gayle and Sarwan or the inexperienced Junior Bravo while guys like Chanders, Pollard and other incumbents rarely contribute. I do rate Thomas as a keeper though.

That said, if the main guys fire I don't see why the Windies can't win

Last edited:

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
The problem is their attack is spearheaded by just one bowler, Roach, and with Barath out injured, I daresay the majority of the runs needs to come from Gayle and Sarwan or the inexperienced Junior Bravo while guys like Chanders, Pollard and other incumbents rarely contribute. I do rate Thomas as a keeper though.
I agree that it has been a few guys stepping up, but the fact is all I am saying is this is a dangerous side not to be taken lightly!! They can beat any team on their day.

Pollard to me is the most over hyped and over rated cricketer EVER. a few good knocks for Trinidad and then the IPL have seen him make a huge name for himself but take a closer look at his stats, with the bat he has played over 30 ODIS and only 2 50's one was against Holland in this WC.

Sarwan is in decent nick Bravo JNR looks a prospect.

Shiv has not been in form but he is a class player it just takes one knock for someone like him to turn it around I wouldnt say you could put him in the same bracket as Pollard as someone to rarely contribute, when he has been the stalwart of West Indies cricket for the last few years since Brian Lara retired!

Howe_zat

Audio File
Good point to bring up that, G_S, Thomas genuinely does look like a proper gloveman. Probably the best player after Roach to be uncovered thanks to the Great Contract ****-Up in 2009.

Shiv's not to be written off.

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pollard is a more talented version of Yusuf Pathan TBH, just a matter of time before he comes good for WI. Obviously, he's not one to be relied on to contribute game in, game out, or rebuild an innings from a 40/4 type situation, but still a deadly cricketer.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Pollard is a more talented version of Yusuf Pathan TBH, just a matter of time before he comes good for WI. Obviously, he's not one to be relied on to contribute game in, game out, or rebuild an innings from a 40/4 type situation, but still a deadly cricketer.
He has hit a few big shots, but to call him more talented that Yusuf Pathan I mean really?? based on what? 34 games and 2 50's tells me a lot!!

He is a decent hitter but not a top order ODI batsman IMHO. Dwayne Smith was an all around better player IMHO

Blaze 18

Banned
They may have bowled out Bangladesh for fifty-eight, but the fact remains they are an average ODI side. I don't see them beating England or India. Would love to be proven wrong. :)

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
They may have bowled out Bangladesh for fifty-eight, but the fact remains they are an average ODI side. I don't see them beating England or India. Would love to be proven wrong. :)
Inconsistent side, I would accept but then so are England, tbf I don't think you can bowl out Bangladesh for 58 on their own turf if you are an average side.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree his record doesn't look great, but that can change in a couple of innings. He has played many explosive knocks in T20s. He's a better bowler and fielder than Yusuf. However, right now, I'd rather have Yusuf as he's shown the temperament to win games from real tough situations as he did against NZ and SA.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
I agree his record doesn't look great, but that can change in a couple of innings. He has played many explosive knocks in T20s. He's a better bowler and fielder than Yusuf. However, right now, I'd rather have Yusuf as he's shown the temperament to win games from real tough situations as he did against NZ and SA.
Fair points mate!

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Chanderpaul has been on steady decline for a few years now since his dazzling heights against Australia and so forth in the test match arena. I think they should look to slowly faze him out in the next year or so, perhaps temporarily for Samuels or Kraigg Brathwaite who is looking a serious talent. I might be crossing ODIs and Tests over here though.

I'm not writing the Windies off, but they have huge holes in the current line up in the SC and they aren't being helped by all the injuries they seem to suffer from

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon Pollard should concentrate on his batting a lot more than his bowling. Has some definite potential

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Dhoni fan - overrating Bangladesh there don't you think.
Not really, they recently beat NZ 4-0 at home beat England in one game in England and knocked us out of the last world cup.

Plus many made them favourites against the Windies.

Bangladesh made 290 odd runs against us albeit chasing 370 but they still made those runs so no I dont think it is overrating Bangladesh to say that if you can bowl them out for 58 you are not an average side.

Jigga988

State 12th Man
Pollard to me is the most over hyped and over rated cricketer EVER. a few good knocks for Trinidad and then the IPL have seen him make a huge name for himself but take a closer look at his stats, with the bat he has played over 30 ODIS and only 2 50's one was against Holland in this WC.

His record is so dire because of where he bats in the side, the fifty he did get was Against Oz when he had time to play an innings, though IIRC the pressure was off Pollard as the Aussies had the game in the bag, give him time and his figures will improve... I agree with the stuff about the windies side though, ideally I'd have Junior Bravo opening with Gayle and Samuels to replace Smith in the side but that wont happen. The bowling attack needs a bit more, Benn and Roach should have enough wicket taking potential against all sides, Gayle's bowling has gone unnoticed in this tourney, think he should be bowling ten overs a game on most pitches, bowled well against Lanka leading up to this, Sammy is a passenger but hopefully Roach and Benn take enough wickets first up that means sides cant fully attack Sammy Gayle Miller etc. Consistency in fielding will let us down sooner or later during this tourney

Re. the group England Windies and SA India have the potential to be great games, though I think you could pretty much put those four teams in the quarters... I like Englands chances with Bell or Bopara opening and Morgan back, who tends to carry their OD side a lil bit

Last edited:

salman85

International Debutant
Not really, they recently beat NZ 4-0 at home beat England in one game in England and knocked us out of the last world cup.

Plus many made them favourites against the Windies.

Bangladesh made 290 odd runs against us albeit chasing 370 but they still made those runs so no I dont think it is overrating Bangladesh to say that if you can bowl them out for 58 you are not an average side.
With all due respect to West Indies,they are an average side.The Bangladesh side they beat played below par.It was an off day for Bangladesh,and an on day for West Indies.Comparing teams on the basis of who the beat,and who they lose to can be a very poor inidicator of a team's worth at times.

The difference between Bangladesh and West Indies isn't as huge as Bangladesh's 58 all out suggests.And again,Bangladesh getting all out for 58 does not make West Indies much more than an OK team.The NZ side they beat was going through a horrible run of form.Even Bangladesh took them to the cleaners.Does that make Bangladesh a better side than NZ?No it doesnt.The one off win against England is credit worthy,but again,it's a one off win.

Unless and until West Indies are able to string together a run of wins over a top quality in form opposition,they will be looked upon as an average side that had great days when the other side had poor/average ones.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
With all due respect to West Indies,they are an average side.The Bangladesh side they beat played below par.It was an off day for Bangladesh,and an on day for West Indies.Comparing teams on the basis of who the beat,and who they lose to can be a very poor inidicator of a team's worth at times.

The difference between Bangladesh and West Indies isn't as huge as Bangladesh's 58 all out suggests.And again,Bangladesh getting all out for 58 does not make West Indies much more than an OK team.The NZ side they beat was going through a horrible run of form.Even Bangladesh took them to the cleaners.Does that make Bangladesh a better side than NZ?No it doesnt.The one off win against England is credit worthy,but again,it's a one off win.
What? Player v Player and Team v Team the Windies are far ahead. It doesn't take an 'off' Bangladeshi day for the Windies to get over them but rather the other way around

salman85

International Debutant
What? Player v Player and Team v Team the Windies are far ahead. It doesn't take an 'off' Bangladeshi day for the Windies to get over them but rather the other way around
However it does take an 'off' Bangladesh side to cave in for 58,which was my whole point.That match does not reflect the difference in quality between the sides well.Bangladesh are a better side than that,and West Indies certainly aren't as good as that match might suggest.It's just one of those days.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
However it does take an 'off' Bangladesh side to cave in for 58,which was my whole point.That match does not reflect the difference in quality between the sides well.Bangladesh are a better side than that,and West Indies certainly aren't as good as that match might suggest.It's just one of those days.
No but you're post generally suggested that the Windies were lucky that the Bangladeshis had a poor day. They'd win anyway IMO. But yeah I agree, they're not normally as bad as 58 all out.