• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B General Discussion

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Biggest question remaining is whether or not Ireland can turn over the Windies. Looking tough for them given the West Indies' bowling form.
Roach is in brilliant form at the moment but the Windies batting is extremely fragile what with Barath out injured yet again and I've forgotten the last time Chanders made a useful contribution

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
BD are annoying me.

One thing that could always be said about BD is that they played fearlessly, gave it their all. They never really had the talent or discipline to compete with the big sides, but they tried damn it.

And now, for the first time in their history, they enter a WC with a side actually capable of beating the bigger nations. This is the most talented squad BD have ever fielded. And what do they do? They fail. Shaiful looked so nervous against India, Shakib hid himself from bowling when BD needed early wickets against Ireland and India and has been playing way too lose with the bat for someone who is supposed to be BD's crisis man. Tamim, instead of going for the chase, settled for batting practice against India. This is not the fearless BD we know.

And on top of that, it's like they've forgotten everything they've learnt in the last 2 years about being disciplined and shizz. Siddique and Kayes are supposed to be steady and reliable and no throw away their wickets and even they played stupid shots. The whole middle order is playing loose, no one tried to settle in against WI. The fielding has been a bit untidy. Only Tamim is actually performing.
Ashraful is supposed to be the senior player, batting like a moron. FFS I can protect my wicket better than Ashraful. But against Ireland he was so pumped in the field and got everyone energised, so he's atleast doing something right.

Naeem is bowling well. Rubel is bowling quite well but the figures don't show it. Shaiful looks nervous everytime I see him bowl but hopefully the spell against Ireland will give him some confidence. Razzaq has been a let down so far too.

BD have the talent and ability. But what the eff are they doing here. It's like they don't like having expectations of them, which is crap. BD are the last side that should be afraid of failure.

They need to beat England really; no two ways about it. It's do or die. Then beat Netherlands, go gun-ho to beat RSA (although they can't count on beating RSA, they should atleast make it a close game), and hopefully make the quarters.

cnerd123

likes this
Haven't seen enough of BD to judge his field settings. They seemed decent against Ireland.

His bowling changes have been poor, but that's majorly because he bowls himself far too late, and instead trusts Naeem/Ashraful/Mahmadullah before himself.

Spark

Global Moderator
I didn't say "captaincy", I said "leadership". I've said it before, but saying "this is not a must win game" when you're playing a World Cup match is utterly inexcusable. Doing it when your team is coming off a shaky win that should really have been a loss against a team that most were expecting you to win against is truly dire. Doing it when the game you're about to play a team who is in the same ballpark as you and hence this is a "pivot match" that could go either way and hence could potentially be critical in determining who ends up where... there are no words.

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
Ah.

Yea, I agree on that. What an idiot. Every game should be a must-win game for BD. I don't know if that's the general sentiment of the side in question, but if it was, then that's just horrible.

Blaze 18

Banned
That Shakib-Al-Hasan quote has been taken a little of context. This is what he actually said :

Shakib Al Hasan, the Bangladesh captain, said this was not their last chance. "Obviously we want to go to the next round," Shakib said. "It is not as if we have to win tomorrow because we will have three more matches, but a win will surely take us a step forward."

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc_cricket_worldcup2011/content/story/504122.html

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Yeah. He was clearly asked directly "Is this a must-win match?" and he responded with a logical answer. Cutting off a quote before "But.." and then putting it as a headline is just misleading.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, not AS bad as it sounded but nonetheless he should be of the mentality that all games are 'must-win'

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
England are the spoilers in this group. Draw with India but lose to Ireland. They'll probably beat South Africa and lose to Bangladesh and the Windies.
Looking good. Think the Windies are a good chance of beating England... maybe not Bangladesh though.

Spark

Global Moderator
A lot depends on the pitch. Any hint of life in it and the three-man attack will run through WI's brittle middle order like a wheat harvester.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
England v Bangladesh is very tough to call.

If both teams play to their best, then even in Bangladesh England should win it comfortably, but both teams have been very up and down in this tournament.

Hassan v England when England bat could lie the key to the match.

Blaze 18

Banned
The matches remaining in our group are mostly predictable. England will wipe the floor with Bangladesh, and they should beat West Indies. The only match that could realistically go either way is India-South Africa.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The matches remaining in our group are mostly predictable. England will wipe the floor with Bangladesh, and they should beat West Indies. The only match that could realistically go either way is India-South Africa.
Not convinced India-WI and England-WI will be quite as straightforward as that. WI bowled Bangladesh out for 58 FFS.

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
England v West Indies could be a cracker. West Indies have played well in their last few games albeit against poor opposition, England have been either really good or really bad but not consistent enough to make a sure prediction that they can a match against decent opposition as yet!

Dhoni_fan

U19 Debutant
Not convinced India-WI and England-WI will be quite as straightforward as that. WI bowled Bangladesh out for 58 FFS.
Well said, it really frustrates me that no matter what the West Indies do they always get underestimated, a lot of people were saying it would not even be an upset if they lost to Bangladesh and they bundled them out for their lowest ever score 58 as you say, they are a dangerous team who can beat anyone on their day.

Howe_zat

Audio File
They're only as predictable as India-England, England-Ireland and England-South Africa.

All still to play for.