• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Group B General Discussion

cnerd123

likes this
Inda, RSA and Eng should make it though. Hoping BD get the fourth spot, can see them pulling an upset against any one of the other 4 big sides.

Then again, BD are most vunlerable to a loss at the hands of Netherlands or Ireland.

Chehtha

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'd back West Indies to top the group, or go all the way. They're a dangerous side who can turn things around when least expected, and have the X-factor to take them all the way, unlike, say, South Africa. We've seen them pull off virtual upsets, like the one against SA in 2003, or winning the 2005 Champions' Trophy, so they can't be written off totally. A lot will depend on Chris Gayle, who has a massive average here in India.
Well not very sure about WI topping the group. But very much a dark horse. Would join Bangladesh as being the most unpredictable team in the group. Just get the feeling of a major upset happening in the group with one of the top teams getting eliminated. Who knows a little momentum on their side can ensure just that.

Chehtha

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Hope they dont do that against us.
I dont see it happening to us. We are really strong at home and added to that have faced the same scenario last time around. So cannot expect india to again bite the dust.Maybe an occassional bad game .But I have a very strong feeling that it would be a very important WC for bangladesh. Guess this is the time for them to announce their real arrival to the international level just like how the Sri lankan team did in the 1996 edition.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Where is the Dutch love? I'm gone for a bit and no one discusses our great batting side with Ten Doeschate, Cooper and Kervezee...

I'd have to admit that bowling is a real pickle - hopefully Seelaar can prove himself in spin conditions.
hope we get a win over Ireland and a surprise victory over Bangladesh.

Challis

U19 12th Man
Well not very sure about WI topping the group. But very much a dark horse. Would join Bangladesh as being the most unpredictable team in the group. Just get the feeling of a major upset happening in the group with one of the top teams getting eliminated. Who knows a little momentum on their side can ensure just that.
This is such a tight group compared to the other one. I think every team will lose atleast one match. I can see India struggling against SA and WI but I would back them to top the group, with SA coming second. Third and Fourth spots I see being tightly contested between England, WI and Bangladesh, and may even go down to net run rate.

If it does go down to net run rate then I think Bangladesh will miss out. They have a huge weakness in having no big hitters. I can see them getting in promising situations like 190/200 for 4 or 5 wickets down after 40 overs but then collapsing to 230/240 all out. They have the worst record in powerplays out of the Test playing nations. However having said that they will have home advantage in the group stage and thus I expect they will comfortably beat Netherlands and Ireland, and I would back them to win atleast one game against India, SA, Eng, WI, which may be enough to send them through to the Quarter Finals.

Regarding the WI, on their day they are very dangerous and capable of dismantling any side, but they have too many off days to win the Cup. I think they are more suited in knockout games and therefore will get stronger if they progress that far.

I think England will struggle in this World Cup. I don't see them getting past the Quarter Finals, and maybe not even getting that far. They are a better Test side than a ODI side.

tooextracool

International Coach
England have been riding on the back of Morgan for the past year or so and now that he's having a lean trot they look terrible. Hopefully he can get his mojo back for the world cup.

AbhishekS

Cricket Spectator
I don't expect much from the English side. As tooextracool said, they've probably depended on one man throughout 2010. Now that the WC is in sub-continent, England will find it very difficult.

Expecting from surprises from Bangladesh.

Jacknife

International Captain
England have been riding on the back of Morgan for the past year or so and now that he's having a lean trot they look terrible. Hopefully he can get his mojo back for the world cup.
Don't agree, you don't win as many series as England have because of one man, sure he's done very well, but there has been plenty of times he hasn't and this series against Australia has been down to the failure of the batsmen not just Morgan, but even when the 3 times England scored 290+, twice they couldn't defend it and that was down to the inexperienced bowling attack. Strauss and Trott have been key for the batting and Broad and Swann have been great with the ball over this past 18 months, Morgan has been a integral part, but not the only part.

Howe_zat

Audio File
That pretty much does it for England. I wasn't really expecting them to reach the semis anyway but now I'm seriously thinking they might not even reach the quarters.

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
bangladesh has a very good chance of making the next stage.
just as they beat a disheveled and hapless indian team 4 years ago, they could do the same with a sorry england team.

they're batting line up is piss poor. luke right?

as with the west indies. who knows how they'll go. on a given day they can beat the best, but wc is about consistency, so they make screw up early

south africa
india
bangladesh
west indies.