• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

New Zealand 30 man World Cup Squad.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
They`re all rubbish?

I/QUOTE]
:laugh:

Perhaps the answer is just that they weren't in the selected 30 players. Is there some other connection? All former south island players or something. I think KNB started down in Otago.

Also Mason is money and if he was 10% more accurate and didn't get injured at in opportune times he would still be part of the ODI line up. Can't get enough of watching him bowl.

Also needs to be a bit smarter. I didn't like his lack of reaction when Jacobs took him apart at the champions trophy.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
1.McCullum+
2.Ryder
3.Williamson
4.Taylor
5.Styris
6.Franklin
7.Oram
8.Vettori (c)
9.Mills
10.Southee
11.Butler/Mckay/Someone??

1.McCullum+
2.Ryder
3.Guptill
4.Taylor
5.Styris
6.Franklin
7.Oram
8.Vettori (c)
9.NcCullum
10.Mills
11.Milne/Southee

Would personally bat Guptill ahead of Williamson in the ODI's. Not only does Guptill average over 30 with the bat & strikes over 80, but he's also a freak in the field & usually saves around 10-15 runs an innings with freakish stops. For me, Williamson's still more of a test prospect at this stage.

We're also effectively forced to play NcCullum as the second spinner in subcontinent conditions & to be fair to him he was probably one of the better performed players in our nightmarish last dozen or so ODI's.

It's probably wishful thinking that Milne, under the guidance of Bond will take the world by storm in the next couple of months, but what the hey :p

Edit: Massive boost to get Oram back, he's criminally underrated as a one-day bowler & his return along with Franklin suddenly makes our batting line-up look ridiculously deep.

Last edited:

ringo16

Cricket Spectator
I thought Nathan McCullum was one of the very few players to come out of the India series with any credit at all - he showed some real mongrel, was awesome with the bat and was good opening the bowling in the last game. Three seamers is enough when Mills and Oram are bowling well, more than happy to have NMac there, and he wouldn't make that bad a captain if he becomes a permanent fixture.

Mike5181

International Captain
1.McCullum+
2.Ryder
3.Guptill
4.Taylor
5.Styris
6.Franklin
7.Oram
8.Vettori (c)
9.NcCullum
10.Mills
11.Milne/Southee

Would personally bat Guptill ahead of Williamson in the ODI's. Not only does Guptill average over 30 with the bat & strikes over 80, but he's also a freak in the field & usually saves around 10-15 runs an innings with freakish stops. For me, Williamson's still more of a test prospect at this stage.

We're also effectively forced to play NcCullum as the second spinner in subcontinent conditions & to be fair to him he was probably one of the better performed players in our nightmarish last dozen or so ODI's.

It's probably wishful thinking that Milne, under the guidance of Bond will take the world by storm in the next couple of months, but what the hey :p

Edit: Massive boost to get Oram back, he's criminally underrated as a one-day bowler & his return along with Franklin suddenly makes our batting line-up look ridiculously deep.
Yeah that is a fair point. The only reason that Williamson edges Guptill is because he has the potential to play an anchor like role. Especially when you have at times irresponsible players like Ryder/McCullum/Taylor. If Ryder had been playing at the top in India his SR wouldn't have been such an issue. I know Guptill is a talented player though and with the injury concerns we have been plagued with he will probably play every game anyway.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
So what has Doug Bracewell done to earn selection in this squad?
Zilch. He's got the tools to eventually become a very good international player - good pace, a strong action, a natural outswinger and some batting ability with a goodish technique to go with it. However, he shouldn't be anywhere near this New Zealand team at the moment and probably shouldn't be for at least another two, perhaps three seasons.

Last edited:

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
I was looking at some stats a couple of days ago and found that Jeetan Patel has the second best strike rate in T20Is after Langeveldt if you discount players with less than 15 wickets and play for non-test nations. Not quite sure how this applies here but I thought it was interesting

vandem

International 12th Man
Any guesses for the final 15?

Assuming a preferred non-injury playing XI (grouped by opening bats, middle order bats, keeper, all rounders and bowlers) of:

Ryder

Guptill
Taylor
Styris

McCullum (opening)

Franklin
Oram
Vettori
McCullum

Mills
Southee

then there needs to be 4 extras, assume 1 batsman, 1 keeper, 1 seamer and one extra bowler (either spinner / seamer). Perhaps:

Elliott
McGlashan
McKay
Bennett

With Williamson, Woodcock, Tuffey unlucky.

Can they go outside the initial 30? I assume they can, the 30 are only there for organisers to do publicity / programmes etc. I'd pick Vincent but I think he has "burnt his bridges".

Howsie

International Captain
My 15 man squad: Brendon McCullum, Martin Guptill, Kane Williamson, Ross Taylor, Jesse Ryder, Scott Styris, James Franklin, Daniel Vettori, Nathan McCullum, Kyle Mills, Tim Southee, Peter McGlashan, Hamish Bennett, Jacob Oram, Daniel Flynn.

I'm not 100 percent on the exact lineup however, although I'd love to see Ryder in the middle order and Guptill opening with McCullum.

Chewie

Mine would be the same as Howsie's except possibly Williamson or Nicol instead of Flynn.

Bond, Smith and Doull had their guesses on the Dilmah Tea Party today.

Mike5181

International Captain
My Team

1. Brendon McCullum+
2. Martin Guptill
3. Ross Taylor
4. Scott Styris
5. Jesse Ryder
6. James Franklin
7. Daniel Vettori (c)
8. Jacob Oram
9. Nathan McCullum
10. Kyle Mills
11. Tim Southee

Reserves: Daryl Tuffey, Kane Williamson, Rob Nicol, Peter McGlashan

McCullum, Guptill and Taylor play their natural games and go after the quicks in the early stages with one of them playing through 20 overs+.
Best players of spin need to bat at number 4 and 5 for mine so Styris and Ryder.
Franklin and Vettori can do the rebuilding if a collapse happens which is often the case.
Oram, McCullum, Mills and Southee can hit at the end/finish off a game.
Plenty of spin options.
Weak point on paper is in our quicks with Mills, Southee, Oram and Franklin relatively harmless.

Still our best side IMO.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
Mine would be the same as Howsie's except possibly Williamson or Nicol instead of Flynn.
Daniel Flynn over Rob Nicol is a little contentious I agree, but heaven forbid one of the openers go down I'd certainly back Flynn to come out and replicate (or close to it anyway) what Guptill or McCullum are capable of, Nicol on the other hand, eh. Not so much. An Aaron Redmond clone afaic.

Chewie

Didn't actually see you had picked Williamson already. Both Flynn and Nicol would be left-field picks. Who else would be in the running for the backup opener/batsman role though?