Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: England Provisional and final World Cup Squads

Evil Scotsman
    Bopara won't be in the squad, he's been named for the Lions tour of the West Indies.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    As have Hildreth, Adams, Dernbach, Bedwetter, Plunkett, Rashid and Woakes (replacing Finn after the ODI series in Australia), so wouldn't read that much into it.

Would rather hope Bopara's not in there because he's not good enough to be honest.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Just give it a little tappy, a little tap tap-aroo.
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    As have Hildreth, Adams, Dernbach, Bedwetter, Plunkett, Rashid and Woakes (replacing Finn after the ODI series in Australia), so wouldn't read that much into it.

Would rather hope Bopara's not in there because he's not good enough to be honest.
    Bopara is OK but England have better players running around so he shouldn't be needed tbh.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Well England's first ODI is done and it seems that they won't get the chance to play another before the squad is announced.

The batsman currently playing are bound to go, as will Paul Collingwood, who is still very much part of the set up and I'm not quite prepard to let go of him yet. If Collingwood can regain some form, he should be in the XI ahead of Trott, as he possess much more versatility in his batting and is a much better all-round option.

Anderson, Broad and Bresnan is our main attack for me. There's enough pace, variety and nous in there to form a strong bowling unit. They'd also be three of our top fielders while Broad and especially Bresnan add batting depth.

One key question that's been answered by my standards is that Ajmal Shahzad will have to go ahead of Tremlett. Trem can be shaky in ODIs, doesn't have much of a recent record and was pretty ordinary at the MCG on Sunday. Shahzad, on the other hand has impressed all tour and would also be much more suited to the wickets in Asia.

As for spin, Swann is a dead cert, as is Mike Yardy. I'm sure Yardy will be worked out eventually but he seems to have formed an effective partnership with Swann and he's a clever cricketer, a good man to have in the side. They will need a back-up spinner in the subcontinent and while Rashid is exciting he isn't the finished article yet. Losing Swann would be a major blow but Tredwell would be an adequete like-for like replacement.

I'm not sure on the back-up wicketkeeper call, as I haven't heard whether or not Keiswetter will be fit. Nonetheless, I would vote for Prior ahead of him anyway. I think Prior is in some good form right now that we need to capitalise on, and he and Trott can add some flexibility to the batting order if necessary.

Strauss
    Davies
    Bell
    Pietersen
    Morgan
    Colly
    Yardy
    Bresnan
    Swann
    Broad
    Anderson

Trott
    Prior
    Tredwell
    Shahzad
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 17-01-2011 at 04:31 PM.
    Join the CW Commentary Discord - https://discord.gg/2cYpfrf

We all know Wright is going to go

Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    It'll be interesting what that means though. Does the reserve seamer get scrapped? Does Tredwell miss out? Does one of Collingwood/Morgan become the reserve keeper?

On the note of the reserve keeper, now way I'd pick Prior. Good form only takes you so far; Kieswetter is a better one day batsman by a massive margin.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

Code:
    Pixie Caramels won by an Innings and 258 runs.

We can only pray that the 15-man limit will put them off. There's a reason I'm refusing to use the W-word.

FBU
    Who I would like to see

Strauss
    Davies
    Bell
    Pietersen
    Patel
    Taylor
    Morgan
    Woakes
    Broad
    Swann
    Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post

Jesus, he is in an A side? Would take Mahmood over Dirtbag.

Hexxagon Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by FBU View Post
    Who I would like to see

Strauss
    Davies
    Bell
    Pietersen
    Patel
    Taylor
    Morgan
    Woakes
    Broad
    Swann
    Anderson
    Is you actually mental?

Please please please God do not let Luke Wright anywhere near the team ever again. That includes T20s.

Would love to see Samit Patel, yes, but can't see it happening yet, too much of a wildcard. If not then Bopara should be in the squad, but apparently he won't cause he's with the Lions or summingk. I'd imagine it'll be the standard XI with Trott, Prior, Tredwell and Shahzad, although wouldn't mind seeing Shahzad start ahead of Bresnan.

Kiessy will have to prove some form before he's back in the ODI set up I feel.

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Jesus, he is in an A side? Would take Mahmood over Dirtbag.
    Haha, no
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

International Captain King Pietersen's Avatar
    I really hope we ditch Wright after this series and bring in Ravi. He's a far better cricketer. Offers far more with the bat at 6, as much with the ball and is as good in the field. Wright needs to go. My XV would be:

Strauss *
    Davies +
    Bell
    Pietersen
    Morgan
    Bopara
    Yardy
    Bresnan
    Broad
    Swann
    Anderson

Collingwood
    Trott
    Patel
    Tremlett

Just hope Davies doesn't get injured, if he does, Colly can step in as keeper. If the Akmal's can do a job for Pakistan, Colly can do a job for England.
    Last edited by King Pietersen; 18-01-2011 at 05:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, wow, what a shot, that is awesome..its a repeat of his six off Muralitharan at Edgbaston, as he switches his grip and reverse-hits Styris over deep cover for a memorable maximum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cricinfo
    Styris to Pietersen, SIX, that's the most extraordinary shot, he switches his grip to that of a left-hander and launches Stryis high over long-off for a might six. That is one of the more incredible shots you'll see

Apparently there's a 'surprise' in the squad according to a journo. Reckon its Fatel.

International 12th Man
    Apparently there's a 'surprise' in the squad according to a journo. Reckon its Fatel.
    Maybe Woakes as backup seamer?

Interesting stuff. I had written him off as fallen out with the set-up but I wouldn't mind seeing him come back in - never been convinced by Tredwell myself.

KP - Shazad should definately go ahead of Tremmers. And I'd rather see either Colly or Trott play ahead of Bopara.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information