• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England Provisional and final World Cup Squads

Jacknife

International Captain
What about Woakes? Why hasn't he been given a go in internationals yet? An extended run I mean.
Woakes is more of an all rounder in one day cricket. He's got a good first class record but his one day record, he averages 34 with the ball.

Jacknife

International Captain
Seems very strange to call up Dernbach over Woakes. Dernbach has taken wickets but goes for plenty - his list A economy is 6.33. They say it's because he's done well in the Caribbean tour but Woakes has just taken 5-18 to trash Guyana.

Factor in that Woakes has bowled vastly more match-winning spells in county cricket, and is also a much better bat, I'm really not sure where this decision has come from. I can only assume it's because they think Dernbach can get something out of the pitches.
Do you mean in first class cricket because I don't think he's bowled many match winning spells in list A. I think they believe, that Dernbach, with the style of bowler he is, will be more suited to and take more wickets in the sub continent, especially with the variations he has. Whether he gets a game is another thing, with only Anderson, Bresnan and Tremlett left he must be there if any of those break down.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
Do you mean in first class cricket because I don't think he's bowled many match winning spells in list A.
Yeah, sould've made that clearer, I meant in the county championship. I don't think either has been putting in consistent performances in the CB40, so I'm looking for ways to distinguish them. There's no doubt that Woakes' fantastic first class performances over the last two years got him into the side to play Australia.

I think they believe, that Dernbach, with the style of bowler he is, will be more suited to and take more wickets in the sub continent, especially with the variations he has. Whether he gets a game is another thing, with only Anderson, Bresnan and Tremlett left he must be there if any of those break down.
This is all I could think of. I'm kind of hoping he doesn't need to play, but on the other hand, maybe England could really do with some fresh legs.

I don't think there's any need to drop Tremlett, who I thought bowled fairly well in his first spell but got utterly wraxed by Gayle charging at him.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can't fathom this to be honest, have massive problems with two attacking bowlers going for loads, so they pick someone who'll do the same.

Ah well, in Flower we trust, I guess:unsure:

Jarquis

God help us all.

Can only assume that it's because we've suddenly decided to play exciting/entertaining cricket rather than winning

Jarquis

Dernbach does tick a lot of boxes: the Surrey paceman provides further ammunition to the 'England pick South Africans' brigade, and in the wake of Kevin Pietersen's departure he adds a fresh batch of tattoos and Dimitri Mascarenhas-esque bling for the cameras to pick up on.
Heh.

Woodster

International Captain
His List A economy of 6.33 is obviously on the high side, am presuming plenty of that is bowling during the powerplays and at the death. He does have some excellent variations on the slower delivery, and wonder if they have gone with someone hopefully capable of bowling during these difficult powerplay overs, as we currently look pretty short on answers.

I know Dernbach comes in for plenty of criticism, much of it strikes me as being overly harsh, but then again I may not have seen as much of him as some people on here have. He always does a decent job when I've seen him.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
His List A economy of 6.33 is obviously on the high side, am presuming plenty of that is bowling during the powerplays and at the death. He does have some excellent variations on the slower delivery, and wonder if they have gone with someone hopefully capable of bowling during these difficult powerplay overs, as we currently look pretty short on answers.

I know Dernbach comes in for plenty of criticism, much of it strikes me as being overly harsh, but then again I may not have seen as much of him as some people on here have. He always does a decent job when I've seen him.
Nope he's just ****

Somerset Chops

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Such an underwhelming selection.

Surely we wanted someone to come straight into the team ? even more so after Tremletts last game.

Another South African to , when are we going to ease up on this ? it takes the piss.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh: Called it in the Windies domestic thread but didn't think it would be this quick. Really is a joke.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Bravura understatement there, kudos.

Hitler: his views on Jews not very PC.

FBU

International Debutant
PCA Rankings

CB40 Bowling 2010
8 - Woakes 104 points
50 - Dernbach 65 points
89 - Tremlett 51 points

tooextracool

International Coach
Apparently had a good stint with the Lions squad where he was able to showcase his ability to reverse the ball. The reasoning behind his selection seems obvious to me, Flower has pin pointed the fact that reverse swing is the key to bowling in the later overs of the games this world cup and we've seen bowlers like Rampaul use it to good effect. I dont suppose that he will play against SL, but considering that the England pacers other than Bresnan have been going at a rate well above 6 anyways, I can see some logic behind his selection.