• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC Cricket World Cup 2011: Groups

Which do u think is the toughest Group?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
Group A:
Australia
New Zealand
Pakistan
Sri Lanka
Zimbabwe
Canada
Kenya

Group B:
Bangladesh
England
India
South Africa
West Indies
Ireland
Netherlands

Wat do u think of the groups? Am predicting a winner from Group B ;-)

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
B's stronger, because Bangladesh >>> Zimbabwe and Ireland can produce upsets fairly easily.

laksh_01

State Vice-Captain
B's stronger, because Bangladesh >>> Zimbabwe and Ireland can produce upsets fairly easily.
Ireland is also in Group B. That makes more chance of upsets. I feel Either Ireland & Netherlands should have been in Group A n Kenya, Canada in group B to make it more equal. B.Desh, Ireland n Netherlands >>>UPSET>>> Zimbabwe, Canada n Kenya.

Bangladesh can no longer be considered minnows playing @ home n considering the form they currently are in. I say West Indies will have to work harder than Bangladesh to reach the QFs.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
If NZ don't sort their **** out in the subcontinent then Zimbabwe will be a nail biter for me.

Ireland will be limited by the foreign conditions. If this were England or NZ they would be in with a hell of a chance for the quarters.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
As per the above comments, easily group B the more difficult one with the inclusion of Bangladesh who must fancy their chances of continuing their good run in familiar conditions, and of course Ireland after their exploits in making it past the group stages in the 2007 WC and the Twenty20 version in 2009.

morgieb

Sri Lanka and Australia (and Pakistan if certain players are available) look the only sides that can win in Group A, sadly.

morgieb

Ireland is also in Group B. That makes more chance of upsets. I feel Either Ireland & Netherlands should have been in Group A n Kenya, Canada in group B to make it more equal. B.Desh, Ireland n Netherlands >>>UPSET>>> Zimbabwe, Canada n Kenya.

Bangladesh can no longer be considered minnows playing @ home n considering the form they currently are in. I say West Indies will have to work harder than Bangladesh to reach the QFs.
Yeah I mentioned Ireland can cause upsets. :p

But yeah, good calls.

smash84

The Tiger King
Group B looks tougher although arguably SL is just about as good in the sub-continent as India.

But I still think that a team from Group A will win despite being the weaker group.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Group B, definitely, mainly due to Bangladesh's home form and NZ's recent debacle.

Sri Lanka and Australia could be considered just about as good as India and South Africa. But I would have India as favourites.

Pakistan are no longer as good as England, though they remain unpredictable.

New Zealand have fallen at least as far, if not further than the West Indies.

Zimbabwe are much less likely to cause issues than Bangladesh.

Canada & Kenya aren't as good as Ireland & the Netherlands, especially considering recent T20 upsets.

Blaze 18

Banned
Group A is stronger by virtue of having two strong Asian sides and the World Champions. I would also have New Zealand over West Indies.

morgieb

Group A is stronger by virtue of having two strong Asian sides and the World Champions. I would also have New Zealand over West Indies.
It might have better sides, but I still think that Group B has better depth. Bangladesh, Ireland and the Netherlands are more likely to cause upsets than Zimbabwe, Canada and Kenya.

Flem274*

123/5
Ireland aren't in ideal conditions to cause upsets imo, whereas Zimbabwe has decent spin options and they make me pretty nervous.

Blaze 18

Banned
It might have better sides, but I still think that Group B has better depth. Bangladesh, Ireland and the Netherlands are more likely to cause upsets than Zimbabwe, Canada and Kenya.
I would agree on Bangladesh; not too sure about Ireland and Netherlands. I reckon Zimbabwe are more likely to cause an upset than those two.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Australia being the champions does not automatically make them among the favourites. Almost all the players that won them the 2007 title have gone. They have a good side but remember that they have lost their last 3 ODI series (last 5 including T20) in a row.

Pakistan being Asian doesn't mean they get more credit than England or South Africa, they will also be playing away from home.

Ireland aren't in ideal conditions to cause upsets imo, whereas Zimbabwe has decent spin options and they make me pretty nervous.
I would agree on Bangladesh; not too sure about Ireland and Netherlands. I reckon Zimbabwe are more likely to cause an upset than those two.
Yes, I would agree that Zimbabwe have a stronger side than Ireland, but the fact that Ireland are possibly the weakest team in their group, as oppose to Zimbabwe's ~5th, shows the greater depth in group B. Ireland and the Netherlands are both much stronger than Kenya and Canada.

Last edited:

Blaze 18

Banned
Australia being the champions does not automatically make them among the favourites. Almost all the players that won them the 2007 title have gone. They have a good side but remember that they have lost their last 3 ODI series (last 5 including T20) in a row.
I would agree that Australia don't have a side as strong as last time, but you can never count them out. I would certainly have them among the favourites to win the trophy, alongside Sri Lanka, India, England and South Africa. They haven't lost a World Cup game for nearly a dozen years now, that is crazy!

In fact, I would have Australia over South Africa - World Cup games are all about pressure, and South Africa always tend to wilt under pressure.

Pakistan being Asian doesn't mean they get more credit than England or South Africa, they will also be playing away from home.
Much more familiar with the conditions ?

Yes, I would agree that Zimbabwe have a stronger side than Ireland, but the fact that Ireland are possibly the weakest team in their group, as oppose to Zimbabwe's ~5th, shows the greater depth in group B. Ireland and the Netherlands are both much stronger than Kenya and Canada.
I think all of Ireland, Netherlands, Kenya and Canada will struggle in those conditions. Out of the minnow teams, only Bangladesh and Zimbabwe (to a lesser extent) are capable of pulling off upsets in my opinion.

cricket100%

Cricket Spectator
Take a good look at the groups. There is to be said seven top teams in the world.
In order:
Australia(A)
India(B)
Sri Lanka(A)
South-Africa(B)
England(B)
Pakistan(A)
New-Zealand(A)

Group A have 4 of the seven top teams in the world and therefore the toughest.

morgieb

Take a good look at the groups. There is to be said seven top teams in the world.
In order:
Australia(A)
India(B)
Sri Lanka(A)
South-Africa(B)
England(B)
Pakistan(A)
New-Zealand(A)

Group A have 4 of the seven top teams in the world and therefore the toughest.
Are NZ really in the top 7 following their defeat to Bangladesh?