• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Discussion

This Indian team winning 2011 World Cup

• Total voters

Shri

Mr. Glass
Swann will have a good game against us I think. India/England will post 250ish whoever bats first and if India chase, they will win by 5 wickets or so with Swann taking 2-3 wickets. If England chase, they will be bowled out somewhere between 150-200 with Bhajji having a good game along with the second spinner.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
To be very honest, I can't wait for India vs Netherlands and Ireland, with India batting first. Want to see a couple of 400 scores brought up. :happy:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Have been saying this for months now that it is a straight toss up between Gambhir and Kohli for the no.3 spot otherwise it affects team balance.

Raina is crucial to play both ways and end matches in the middle order ,while Kohli is more of a proper top order batsman.
Today was the exact kind of situation about which i was talking in this post.

It is a tough call ,but a Raina instead of a Kohli today in that situation would have meant extra 20 runs.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Today was the exact kind of situation about which i was talking in this post.

It is a tough call ,but a Raina instead of a Kohli today in that situation would have meant extra 20 runs.
Situations calling for Kohli's class will be more common than those that need Raina IMO. Pathan wasn't particularly successful today either and I think Yuvraj and Dhoni also got out at the wrong time. In the context of the match, I'm not sure they did enough, but TBF to them, I think hitting big was a bit tougher in the 1st innings as the ball was holding up, whereas it eased out as the game progressed.

The fact that we don't even look remotely likely to pick up wickets with the new ball is worrying. Any good batting team will get 300+ if they play it smart after getting off to 70/0 starts off the first 10.

shankar

International Debutant
The fact that we don't even look remotely likely to pick up wickets with the new ball is worrying. Any good batting team will get 300+ if they play it smart after getting off to 70/0 starts off the first 10.
That's why Praveen Kumar was such a huge loss. The one genuine wicket-taker with the new ball that we had.

Blaze 18

Banned
L3arn 2 appeal n00bs! Ffs.
This.

Strauss was in single digits when he first feathered one to Dhoni wasn't he ? The second time was when he had just got his century. Should have been game, set, match for India right there. Hope they learn from this. Will have to, if they want to win the World Cup. You can't afford to give any batsman two-three chances, especially on these flat pitches.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Situations calling for Kohli's class will be more common than those that need Raina IMO. Pathan wasn't particularly successful today either and I think Yuvraj and Dhoni also got out at the wrong time. In the context of the match, I'm not sure they did enough, but TBF to them, I think hitting big was a bit tougher in the 1st innings as the ball was holding up, whereas it eased out as the game progressed.

Not really sure about that.

Because one of the top 3 will fire in majority of the situations and even when they not Dhoni can always go up the order.

Raina can too play crucial innings in India on such wickets ,specially the slow low one very well.

He got dropped because of his SA fom,not India form .
Plus is a more economic bowler than Pathan.
Plus when we are in a strong position it is always helpful to get in a stronger position with our bowling.

It is a really really tough call between the 2 at the moment . But hopefully it does not come back to haunt us later.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's a tough call, and yes, Raina would give us the extra bowling option, but for now I'd stick with Kohli. Either way I don't think this decision would make or mar our WC hopes. Doubt Raina's bowling would have made any difference yesterday, it's the bowling and fielding department that we need to sort out.

BTW, I saw some replays of some old matches and Kohli was bowling some gentle Jadeja-style medium pace with a bit of swing.. Dhoni should consider that option.