• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Discussion (Final Squad Announced Post #82)

Mike5181

International Captain
This ODI series against England is seven games so i would give Haddin a few to see if he can regain form. He is experienced and that is key at world cups. Paine is a good player as well though. People were considering Wade for the position as well. Can't say i have seen much of him tbh.

pup11

International Coach
Australia's preliminary squad is a bit of joke as it is filled with players that have done nothing of note to be considered among the best 30 OD players in Australia.
You gotta wonder why are blokes like Cosgrove, Wade, Finch,Krezja, Birt, Bailey not there on that list ahead of some other names, because these are the blokes who have been consistent performers in the domestic arena for a while now.
#Watson
#Warner
#Ponting
#Clarke
#White
#Mussey
#Haddin
#Christian
#Hauritz
#O'Keffe
#Lee
#Tait
#Bollinger
#Johnson
#David Hussey/Ferguson
Ideally won't pick either Clarke or Johnson on their current OD form, but dropping two senior players so close to the worldcup isn't ideal so they stay. Would have Warner and Watto opening as in the sub-continental conditions its vital to get off to a flier against the new ball and Warner could prove handy in that regard at the top of the order, its nothing against Haddin but think he would be much more useful as a flotter in the middle order against spin.
Would have Christian ahead of Smith as well, since Christian is in terrific form and he is also much better equipped to bat lower down the order, his bowling too is going to be handy on sub-continental tracks.
Dussey or Ferguson is the only tough decision, would go with Dussey as he is an experienced match-winner with the bat and his offies are handy too, as for Ferguson lack of experience is probably the only thing that's going against him atm, rest of the team pretty much picks itself up.
EDIT: Also hasn't Paine played enough ODI'S to prove that he isn't good enough, the guy has a SR of 70 opening the batting, I guess that says enough.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i like how you complain about "consistent performers" not being in the 30 man squad, and than pick Warner.

Dussey did nothing today to play him out of the squad; Tait being sore after 8 overs and Lee being the best bowler should mean Lee goes and Tait doesn't, Dougeh wasn't good today but he does have a decent record in India so far - if that counts for anything and likewise Doherty wasn't great so if they decide to go with only one spinner Hauritz probably has it. Really nothing changed. I presume Tait had to do something special to grab that spot and he hasn't.

edit DAMNIT PEWS

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
My 15

Haddin
Watson
Ponting
Clarke
White
Mussey
Smith
Johnson
Lee
Hauritz
Siddle

12 Hopes
13 Bollinger
14 Dussey
15 Paine

With Harris, McKay, Starc all out, the only other quicks outside the first XI are Pattinson, Bollinger, Tait and all-rounder Hopes.

- I can’t pick Tait – he’s a ***** and a sook

- Bollinger has been **** this summer, but a lack of alternatives and his good record in India get him over the line

- I think Hopes with his change of pace, cricket smarts, and all-round ability gets in ahead of Pattinson

- Paine as back up for Haddin and batsman in his own right

- Dussey probably as useful as Doherty with the ball, and a good batsman – probably competing with Smith for the # 7 spot

- Didn’t consider Hodge, as he won’t be picked

Not a very strong squad compared to past campaigns, and massive form clouds hanging over some of the key players namely Ponting, Bollinger and Johnson.

All in all, we’ll make the Super Six stage but may not advance beyond that point.

Sri Lanka, South Africa and India are a certainty for the Semi Finals, and we may just squeak in to make up the final four.

Can’t see us winning this time though.

morgieb

My WC 15....

Watson
Haddin +
Ponting
Clarke
Mussey
White
Smith
Johnson (yeah he's dire, but the only other option is Binga)
Hauritz
Lee
Tait (yeah he's a sook, but he's the best we've got)

Hodge (won't happen but it should)
Dussey
Paine
Bollinger (out of nick, but he's still gun)

FBU

International Debutant
1 Watson
2 Marsh
3 Paine
4 Ponting
5 White
6 MHussey
7 Smith
8 Johnson
9 Hauritz
10 Lee
11 Tait

Pattinson, O'Keefe, Starc, Hodge

pup11

International Coach
Lol'n at you big-noting domestic performance and then picking Warner.
Warner is a pick that should be purely made on the basis of what he brings to the table, the games are gonna be played on flat abrasive pitches and as a team you would have to set the wheels in motion while the ball in new and hard, and that's where Warner can really be handy and also not to forget his fielding too adds a lot to the team.
Haddin is a superb batsman within his own right but he bats a bit like a millionaire in the first 15 overs, he hits a lot of good shots straight to the fielders and doesn't have that ability to hit over the in-field either.
Also don't think too much should be read into Warner's lack of runs for the Blues in the last season or so, he was moved around in the batting order and general lack of patience was shown with by the Blues, but he is a match-winner and the sub-continental conditions would be just ideal for him.
As for David Hussey, he is arguably one of the best LO batsmen is Australia for a while now, he is destroyer of spin bowling and he brings all his experience into the squad as well which is important for a tournament like the worldcup, would take Hodge over him any day but since that's not gonna happen Dussey then is the next best choice.
My point though was, what exactly have the likes of Siddle, Starc, Pattinson ever done to be regarded among the 30 best OD players in Oz at present!!!

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke - you know they're going to pick him so surround him with strokemakers and keep out of middle order
Ricky Ponting
Cameron White - needs time to settle and has scored hundreds here
Michael Hussey
David Hussey - Hodge is better but will never get picked
Tim Paine - I want a keeper that can catch but not at the expense of batting him high
Dan Christian - either he or Hopes can bowl some overs and hit well
Nathan Hauritz
Brett Lee
Shaun Tait - bowl a few overs then off for a rest (everyone else does it so why not us?)

Shaun Marsh - best of the young bats
Steve Smith
Mitchell Johnson - really, really didnt want to pick him
Peter Siddle - at least you can set a field for him and his batting is improving

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Shane Watson
Michael Clarke - you know they're going to pick him so surround him with strokemakers and keep out of middle order
Ricky Ponting
Cameron White - needs time to settle and has scored hundreds here
Michael Hussey
David Hussey - Hodge is better but will never get picked
Tim Paine - I want a keeper that can catch but not at the expense of batting him high
Dan Christian - either he or Hopes can bowl some overs and hit well
Nathan Hauritz
Brett Lee
Shaun Tait - bowl a few overs then off for a rest (everyone else does it so why not us?)

Shaun Marsh - best of the young bats
Steve Smith
Mitchell Johnson - really, really didnt want to pick him
Peter Siddle - at least you can set a field for him and his batting is improving
I would pick even a half fit Bollinger over Siddle in LO games, now we have seen that Dougie not at full tilt ain't that good but still he remains a much, much better option than Siddle.
Paine as I said has had his chances, his SR is hovering around the 70's and having Clarke in the XI is bad enough but having both Paine and Clarke in the top 7 could spell disaster, as for Haddin's keeping its pretty good for most of the time, but he himself admitted he loses concentration sometimes behind the sticks and recently the kind of mind games Hilditch has been playing with him couldn't have helped in yesterday' game.

Spikey

wouldn't want Christian bowling more than 5 overs tbh. and you have tait not bowling his full 10 either so i have no idea how you expect 50 overs to be bowled. white's making a comeback with the ball? hussey and watson are putting in 7-8 overs each?

social

I would pick even a half fit Bollinger over Siddle in LO games, now we have seen that Dougie not at full tilt ain't that good but still he remains a much, much better option than Siddle.
Paine as I said has had his chances, his SR is hovering around the 70's and having Clarke in the XI is bad enough but having both Paine and Clarke in the top 7 could spell disaster, as for Haddin's keeping its pretty good for most of the time, but he himself admitted he loses concentration sometimes behind the sticks and recently the kind of mind games Hilditch has been playing with him couldn't have helped in yesterday' game.
IMO, Dougeh is seen as being expendable by the selectors whilst Siddle isnt so the writing is on the wall for the former IMO

TBH, I dont care whether Paine or Haddin bats in the top 7 - given the number of batting options available, it's almost irrelevant and either of them could be left down the order to have a slog at the end

But what I do see as a necessity is a keeper that can catch and Haddin has not been that guy all season (it would be interesting to know whether he has accepted 50% of the chances that have come his way this year - somehow I doubt it)

Anyway, you know the selectors are going to pick Clarke but absolutely the last thing you want to see is him in the middle order IN HIS CURRENT FORM as it's odds on that he'd destroy any momentum built up by the top order players

That being the case, chuck him in as opener and surround him with stroke players

social

wouldn't want Christian bowling more than 5 overs tbh. and you have tait not bowling his full 10 either so i have no idea how you expect 50 overs to be bowled. white's making a comeback with the ball? hussey and watson are putting in 7-8 overs each?
Tait would bowl his full 10 - he just wouldnt field for 50 overs

Bowling lineup would be Tait, Lee, Hauritz, Watson, Christian (or Hopes), Dussey, Clarke etc

More than enough options to get thru 50 IMO

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Watson
+Haddin
*Ponting
White
M Hussey
Clarke
Smith
Lee
Hauritz
Siddle/Johnson
Bollinger

Johnson/Siddle
D Hussey
Paine
Tait

pup11

International Coach
IMO, Dougeh is seen as being expendable by the selectors whilst Siddle isnt so the writing is on the wall for the former IMO

TBH, I dont care whether Paine or Haddin bats in the top 7 - given the number of batting options available, it's almost irrelevant and either of them could be left down the order to have a slog at the end

But what I do see as a necessity is a keeper that can catch and Haddin has not been that guy all season (it would be interesting to know whether he has accepted 50% of the chances that have come his way this year - somehow I doubt it)

Anyway, you know the selectors are going to pick Clarke but absolutely the last thing you want to see is him in the middle order IN HIS CURRENT FORM as it's odds on that he'd destroy any momentum built up by the top order players

That being the case, chuck him in as opener and surround him with stroke players
Well what you say about Dougie could be true, but still its sheer madness to go for someone as useless as Siddle instead of him, I guess Doug is realising it the hard way that you don't question the selectors....
Now as I said in my earlier post, I would use Haddin as a flotter in the middle order to counter the opposition spin bowlers. I think its pretty obvious that our middle order has been extremely poor against spin and Hadds can be used to take on the spinners if required, also just can't figure out what this whole fuzz regarding Paine is all about, people are suggesting he should replace Haddin, play just as batsman and maybe even captain the side in the future, so tell me... is there something I'm missing here...!?
Also I don't get this whole Clarke in ''his current form'' thing, I mean the guy has been batting like **** ever since the last worldcup so don't know what him building a LO innings at snail's pace has anything to do with his form.....

social

Well what you say about Dougie could be true, but still its sheer madness to go for someone as useless as Siddle instead of him, I guess Doug is realising it the hard way that you don't question the selectors....
Now as I said in my earlier post, I would use Haddin as a flotter in the middle order to counter the opposition spin bowlers. I think its pretty obvious that our middle order has been extremely poor against spin and Hadds can be used to take on the spinners if required, also just can't figure out what this whole fuzz regarding Paine is all about, people are suggesting he should replace Haddin, play just as batsman and maybe even captain the side in the future, so tell me... is there something I'm missing here...!?
Also I don't get this whole Clarke in ''his current form'' thing, I mean the guy has been batting like **** ever since the last worldcup so don't know what him building a LO innings at snail's pace has anything to do with his form.....
Unfortunately, I think that you can lock in Siddle, Paine, Doherty, Clarke and Johnston because the selectors simply love them so I've tried, to a degree, to bastardize a lineup to accommodate most of them

Tbh, Haddin is the one that causes me the most angst

The guy deserves to be there for his batting but would anyone be truly surprised if he dropped the catch that ultimately cost Oz the WC?

Having said that, I'm still to be convinced that Paine is the guy to replace him as no-one seems to suggest that he is the best gloveman in the country or the next best keeper-batsman

howardj

International Coach
I think Wade is just as good.

Anyway, squad announced today.

Spies are busily whispering that Dan Christian is a bolter.