• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Discussion (Final Squad Announced Post #82)

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Predictably good squad.

1. Twatto
2. Haddin+
3. Ponting*
4. Clarke
5. Mussey
6. White
7. Smith
8. Mitch
9. Tait
10. Lee
11. Dougeh/Harris

12. Harris/Dougeh
13. McKay
14. Ferguson/Hodge
15. Paine

Last edited:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
The squad I expect is:

Shane Watson
Brad Haddin
Ricky Ponting
Michael Clarke
Michael Hussey
Cameron White
Steve Smith
Mitch Johnson
Brett Lee
Nathan Hauritz
Ryan Harris

Tim Paine
Doug Bollinger
Clint McKay
Callum Ferguson

Considering the turnover of ODI cricketers we have had in the past two seasons, it's great that nearly every member of the 30 man preliminary squad has been looked at.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
I would personally have Hodge opening the batting and I would also have Christian in the 15 man squad,

Lee, Tait, Bollinger and Harris are all going to be in the squad aren't they?

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I would personally have Hodge opening the batting and I would also have Christian in the 15 man squad,

I wouldn't be selecting Tait. Is he likely to play domestic cricket prior to the 15 man squad being selected? I believe he is due back for the Big Bash, but how does 3-4 Twenty20 games prove fitness for the ODI World Cup?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
well we've got that 7 match OD series against England from Jan 16 to Feb 6, so Tait and indeed the rest of the bowlers in contention will be getting a game or two to impress (if fit)

Julian87

State Captain
1 Watson
2 Haddin
3 Ponting
4 Clarke
5 White
6 Hussey
7 Christian
8 Hauritz
9 Lee
10 Harris/Doherty
11 Bollinger

12 Smith
13 Paine/Marsh [Hodge] (Personally don't think you need a spare keeper but if he's there it should be in place of the pure bat IMO)
14 Johnson
15 Doherty/Harris

Can't see my opinion on this squad changing much. Only thing I'd consider is O'Keefe in for Doherty but I reckon Xavier is the better limited overs bowler and most of the other bowlers can handle the stick. Really like the potential balance of the side having 2 opening bowlers + 2 frontline spinners + Watson, Christian and Clarke.

And all of this talk of Clint McKay. Yeah he may have done ok but he's not going to be there but for injury I reckon. They'll pick Lee, Joihnson, Tait, Haris, Bollinger and probably even Siddle (though that'd be a mistake) ahead of him.

We really need to test these forumlas out in the upcoming ODI series despite the conditions.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I wonder if the selectors will go back to Doherty after his performances in the Test match? I wouldn't read too much into it as he's a proven domestic OD performer, but I get the feeling that the selectors might.

Hope it performs well in the match against WA today.

Spark

Global Moderator

Hodge opening strikes me as a good idea, simply because it's probably the only way he'll crack the XI since in that case 3-7 are set in stone. (3-6 are set in stone anyway)

I think, though, that because that means Haddin will slot down at 7 and they'd prefer more a Hopes, Smith or Christian type there, it won't happen.

Mike5181

International Captain
Hodge opening strikes me as a good idea, simply because it's probably the only way he'll crack the XI since in that case 3-7 are set in stone. (3-6 are set in stone anyway)

I think, though, that because that means Haddin will slot down at 7 and they'd prefer more a Hopes, Smith or Christian type there, it won't happen.
He might get lucky and play a few games. Injuries seem to pop up quite a lot these

Spark

Global Moderator
The only injury worry IMO for the 3-6 is Clarke, and given how they've approached it thus far, if it's a reasonably important match in a WC he'll play.

Spark

Global Moderator
Surely Christian should get a look in in current form, might be more of a chance in the T20's though
IMO assuming they keep opening with Watson/Haddin (which does work, so fair enough I guess) then Christian is probably in a straight shoot-out with Smith and to a lesser extent Hopes (who seems to have fallen out of favour) for that lower order blaster slash 5th/6th bowling option role. Assuming he keeps up his current form he's in with a real shout - Smith you'd have to say has the inside running though

Phantom

Banned
I'd say they would fit a different niche, and would get selected based on conditions, with Smith the extra spin option, and Christian some seam up. Hopes probably won't get another look in. Christian and Smith are the future. Sadly for Hopes, he probably exceeded expectations. Those 2 could do well to see how he filled a role with the ball in One Dayers and bowled rather economically

Spark

Global Moderator
He probably didn't "do the trick" with the bat though, the other two are IMO definitely superior with the bat. You're correct but in a very general sense they have a similar job.

Phantom

Banned
He didn't get a lot of opportunity though, apart from the odd innings at the top where he didn't do too bad. He looks a gun at state level at times strangely enough

Mike5181

International Captain
I'd say they would fit a different niche, and would get selected based on conditions, with Smith the extra spin option, and Christian some seam up. Hopes probably won't get another look in. Christian and Smith are the future. Sadly for Hopes, he probably exceeded expectations. Those 2 could do well to see how he filled a role with the ball in One Dayers and bowled rather economically
Hopes was actually a decent performer for Australia tbh. He just isn't a player that fills you with confidence when you see his name in the side.

joels344

U19 Debutant
I see them doing quite well in this World Cup.

1. Shane Watson
2. Brad Haddin
3. Ricky Ponting
4. Michael Hussey
5. Michael Clarke
6. Cameron White
7. Callum Ferguson
8. Mitchell Johnson
9. Brett Lee
10. Nathan Hauritz
11. Shaun Tait