• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Discussion (Final Squad Announced Post #82)

Spark

Global Moderator
Getting slightly worried about the complete ignorance in press statements by Ponting et al of Bollinger.

pup11

International Coach
So you're criticising the medical staff for allowing half-fit players to play, then you're criticising them for dropping Hussey for being injured?
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Hussey has been honest with everyone that he would miss atleast the first two worldcup games but he believed he would be alright to play in the 3rd game.

Hussey being a such an experienced player probably knows his body better than anyone else, he was putting himself through a lot of hardships to ensure he was fit for the worldcup but that just wasn't good enough for them.

I would have been sad but still would have accepted Hussey being dropped if the medical staff was consistent when assessing player fitness.

We have been seeing a bloke like Bollinger running around the field like a buffalo with a wounded leg, Ponting is openly saying in the PC that his pinkie is still sore and therefore as a precaution he would be hiding himself in the field, and its common knowledge that likes of Lee and Tait are more fragile than bone china crockery and to go with that our back-up keeper still seems to be nursing a fractured finger.

Not for a second am I saying that Bollinger, Ponting, Lee or Tait should not have been picked, they indeed are key players to our campaign despite the risk of injuries they bring along with them, but then my question is why have a different yardstick for Hussey if anything he is arguably a more important ODI player than any of these guys.

Also to add to this back-up keeper issue, as I said you have gotta be terribly unlucky if your wicket-keeper goes down with an injury just prior to a game or something like that, but it just seems lame to waste a slot in the squad in fear of a situation like that. For example I won't have had a problem if they picked Wade as the reserve keeper, because along with his keeping he also has the ability to bat pretty much anywhere in the top 6 as a pure batsman which obviously adds more depth to the squad.

Spark

Global Moderator
On ABC Grandstand during their coverage of the Shield match today they said they saw Hussey doing sprints on the sidelines, and they said he looked "absolutely fine" and they firmly believed he'd be fine in time for the important parts of the WC.

If Hussey is back scoring runs in the Shield with the WC still on, there may well be hell to pay.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On ABC Grandstand during their coverage of the Shield match today they said they saw Hussey doing sprints on the sidelines, and they said he looked "absolutely fine" and they firmly believed he'd be fine in time for the important parts of the WC.

If Hussey is back scoring runs in the Shield with the WC still on, there may well be hell to pay.
This.

stephen

It's a little sad that the current QLD vs NSW game is going to be played in Sydney. I could actually have made it to the Gabba for a couple of sessions tomorrow.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Can confirm that Hussey and Hauritz both passed their fitness examinations, but were told that they were both "too much of a risk", and given no further explanation.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
i can understand why hauritz got looked-over, but hussey...given how they've taken paine with them...it's just absurd they didn't even give him a couple more weeks

pup11

International Coach
Can confirm that Hussey and Hauritz both passed their fitness examinations, but were told that they were both "too much of a risk", and given no further explanation.
Nothing surprises me with these Australian selectors anymore...

pup11

International Coach
We have been playing Yardy like Bishen Bedi and now against decent Indian spinners we were just totally blown away, have a feeling there would be a massive uproar regarding Mussey's absence from the team if the middle order keeps crippling this way.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So you're criticising the medical staff for allowing half-fit players to play, then you're criticising them for dropping Hussey for being injured?
Indeed but, irritaitingly, they've continued their paineful habit of picking half-fit ****s anyway, pontingficating about their chances with the all-or-nothing pace attack while ignoring blokes who are actually bollingering well.

Last edited:

vicleggie

State Vice-Captain
Watson
Haddin
Ricky
Clarke
D Hussey
Ferguson/Smith
White
Johnson
Krejza
Lee
Tait/hastings

strenghts: watson, ricky/clarke i think will play well (as they will be infront of a crowd who aren't booing them haha) as long as not against indian spinners, good spin options in smith/krazy, brett lee looking good, ample bowling options with watto/dussey/clarke.

weakneses- cameron white batting poorly as of late. i dont think he should come in before number 6 or 7. He basically has two modes, chip and run, or smackths **** out of it. Smith can atleast work it around, and on flat decks of india he wont have to worry about his crap technique against the swinging ball.
If white bats at 7, with jonson atleast there willbe some good firepower there.

will be interesting to see if/how tait bowls. If he can be effective, that aus' bowling will be a handful. if not, or if mediocre genius' like hastings/bollinger have to play, then aus bowling looks a bit weaker.

last nights warm up match was not a good sign- another 'snatching defeat from the jaws of victory' moment. if they keep with that ****, they wont go past the quarter finals, and will most probably lose to mentally tougher teams like england/south africa.

Last edited:

Johnners

Watson
Haddin
Ricky
Clarke
D Hussey
Ferguson/Smith
White
Johnson
Krejza
Lee
Tait/hastings

strenghts: watson, ricky/clarke i think will play well (as they will be infront of a crowd who aren't booing them haha) as long as not against indian spinners, good spin options in smith/krazy, brett lee looking good, ample bowling options with watto/dussey/clarke.

weakneses- cameron white batting poorly as of late. i dont think he should come in before number 6 or 7. He basically has two modes, chip and run, or smackths **** out of it. Smith can atleast work it around, and on flat decks of india he wont have to worry about his crap technique against the swinging ball.
If white bats at 7, with jonson atleast there willbe some good firepower there.

will be interesting to see if/how tait bowls. If he can be effective, that aus' bowling will be a handful. if not, or if mediocre genius' like hastings/bollinger have to play, then aus bowling looks a bit weaker.

last nights warm up match was not a good sign- another 'snatching defeat from the jaws of victory' moment. if they keep with that ****, they wont go past the quarter finals, and will most probably lose to mentally tougher teams like england/south africa.
lol wut?

Spark

Global Moderator
Indeed but, irritaitingly, they've continued their paineful habit of picking half-fit ****s anyway, pontingficating about their chances with the all-or-nothing pace attack while ignoring blokes who are actually bollingering well.
Oh ho ho ho