• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist a cheater?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Your sig's very, very behind the times. Me and Craig might even start calling you Paul Gilham at this rate.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I guess I am trying to understand where does one draw a line.
How is the ball-in-the-glove different from a bowler using a bandage on his finger? Both are used to get a better grip on the equipment, bat and ball, respectively.
Obviously the ball-in-the-glove was a one-off but what if it does give rise to Gilly-clones as everybody tries to exploit this (if it is at all possible)?
Why should bowlers be denied the opportunity to get more traction on the ball by using bandages?
Exactly. It's an overreaction in the case of this particular article, and nothing but blatant bitterness, but that doesn't change the fact that it is an issue which will have to be addressed, and the sooner the better. Because one thing's for sure - something that works that well will very quickly start being tried by lots of people.

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Gilchrist....a great cricketer !!!

Everyone knows who the real cheater is......the chucker. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
Gilchrist....a great cricketer !!!

Everyone knows who the real cheater is......the chucker. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Now, now...surely thats very unfair on Brett Lee. After all he has been cleared by the ICC after rectifying his action. No need to go on about it.

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Now, now...surely thats very unfair on Brett Lee. After all he has been cleared by the ICC after rectifying his action. No need to go on about it.
A well thought out post !! Let's talk about the Lees, Malingas and Akhtars etc to conveniently forget the BIG CHEAT. I guess the smoke screen approach deflects attention from the GREATEST CHUCKER OF ALL TIMES !! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Why do I visit Muralifans? Because I'm a Murali fan. I don't know why you're curious about it. What are you implying and why bring it up?

Another thing I forgot to mention is that it's odd people are saying Gilchrist was out of form, and now he's in-form because of the glove... as if all those cleanly hit shots came from a glove. Gilchrist has good days from time to time.
Im a Murali fan too, but all the articles on that site are just from baised Sri Lanka. All it does it create flame bait as this thread has just become. Really there have been plenty of articles that have come up about this topic, that would have been more approapiate to link then that article from that website.

I think people have mentioned that the squash ball helped him hit straighter, it also reduced the friction when you hit the ball, so in theory you have more chance of clean hitting balls that you would normally mis time. For all those who think this just about Sri Lankan fans having a cry cus we lost the World Cup, it is in the case of the article. But personally i couldn't toss if it was Flintoff who used (he needs more) or Gilchirst, it still the same thing. I would be very suprised if it doesn't get banned, very soon.

Swervy

International Captain
Your sig's very, very behind the times. Me and Craig might even start calling you Paul Gilham at this rate.
well you and Craig start calling me Paul Gilham if you feel the need.
Two questions:
How can a sig be behind the times?
Why do you come over as a complete nob sometimes?

Last edited:

chipmonk

U19 Debutant
A well thought out post !! Let's talk about the Lees, Malingas and Akhtars etc to conveniently forget the BIG CHEAT. I guess the smoke screen approach deflects attention from the GREATEST CHUCKER OF ALL TIMES !! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Now now .....thats clearly Below the belt. Its no way to talk about pigeon ..... he has retired after all. Have some respect please.

frey

School Boy/Girl Captain
Now now .....thats clearly Below the belt. Its no way to talk about pigeon ..... he has retired after all. Have some respect please.
Oh! I think you may have misread my post? With respect, I was referring to an internationally regarded CHEAT who instead of bowling in the spirit of the game has CHUCKED, CHUCKED, CHUCKED. History will long remember him for his CHUCKING action.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
No, you're the one comparing the energy drink to steroids. This whole thing is so idiotic I don't even know why I'm discussing it. Some people will go to any extent to discredit the Australian side. Whether it be their batsmen play against poor bowlers, which inflates their averages, or the side are unsporting or their hairstyles are crap or this. It really reflects poorly on the lot of you tbh.
No, I'm not discrediting the australian side or gilchrist a bit. And I never said he cheated. I'm saying that the people who are complaining do have a fair case in this. Doesn't mean you take the cup or the 100 away from them, no. But you do ban squash balls and anything similar from being used. And if a batsmen wants to do something innovative, they should get a ok from the officials next time.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
The ball didn't help him time his shots, help his hand-eye coordination and placement etc. All of which Gilchrist displayed. He was out of form after the 2005 Ashes, but still hit the odd great innings. Tendulkar has been out of form for a long time but hits the occasional good innings. Lets not start a double standard.

Anybody who saw that innings saw Gilchrist in-form because he was hitting the ball cleanly. That ball doesn't stop him from mistiming balls etc.
I'm not going into the debate on whether and how much it helped or not but he did mistimes/or not hit the ball cleanly on some shots which went further but doesn't mean it's because of the squash ball though.

Last edited:

LA ICE-E

State Captain
WTF? How the hell does Gilly break any rules by having a squash ball in his glove, if anything that should make gripping the bat a bit more difficult.
If it wasn't helping, he wouldn't use it. But before you start bitching read my post above.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Was this not mentioned in other countries during the actual game? On Sky over here Slater called it more-or-less straight away. He said Gilly had felt as if he was playing with too much bottom hand all through the tournament & the squash ball helped that.
So the squash ball did work as a performance enhancer in a way.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Disclaimer:Not saying anything against Gilchrist. Come on, he's like the 1st guy to announce himself a walker and that to me is pretty honest and I don't think he would cheat. He just didn't think its a big deal and it's not. But that said, the squash ball is still kind of a performance enhancer and the rules need to be clarified on what can be used and what can't and does the players need to get permission to try something new.