• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist a cheater?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
One thing i want to know is why Francis was visting the Murali fans site. Unless your a biased Sri Lankan i can't see why you would want to visit that site. He seems to visit that site a fair bit for whatever reason.

Also on Gilly gloves they will get banned sooner or later, they are basically just performance enhansing. Its siginifcant like other things, but the main purpose in having them is to provide an extra benefit while batting, which previously wasn't avialable. Its not as if its there for comfort or extra protection.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Do the players have to get ICC sanctioned underwear before they can play international matches now?
In Wimbledon, there was an underwear controversy some time back. The all whites rules meant that women players had to have underwear inspected before matches so that it was all white and the huge horrific act of black or pink underwear coming into view while players were playing didn't arise. :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Underwear coming into view from *certain players* used to be one of the highlights of the tournament IMO.

:ph34r:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't certain wicket keepers keep raw meat in their gloves to soften the blow from the bowlers? Who said cricket was always a gentleman's game :@

Francis

State Vice-Captain
One thing i want to know is why Francis was visting the Murali fans site. Unless your a biased Sri Lankan i can't see why you would want to visit that site. He seems to visit that site a fair bit for whatever reason.
Why do I visit Muralifans? Because I'm a Murali fan. I don't know why you're curious about it. What are you implying and why bring it up?

Another thing I forgot to mention is that it's odd people are saying Gilchrist was out of form, and now he's in-form because of the glove... as if all those cleanly hit shots came from a glove. Gilchrist has good days from time to time.

jot1

State Vice-Captain
Another thing I forgot to mention is that it's odd people are saying Gilchrist was out of form, and now he's in-form because of the glove... as if all those cleanly hit shots came from a glove. Gilchrist has good days from time to time.
He was out of form the whole tournement, except in the final. His stats were dire. Then he found form.
Makes you think what balls can do for a guy.:ph34r:

Francis

State Vice-Captain
The ball didn't help him time his shots, help his hand-eye coordination and placement etc. All of which Gilchrist displayed. He was out of form after the 2005 Ashes, but still hit the odd great innings. Tendulkar has been out of form for a long time but hits the occasional good innings. Lets not start a double standard.

Anybody who saw that innings saw Gilchrist in-form because he was hitting the ball cleanly. That ball doesn't stop him from mistiming balls etc.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why do I visit Muralifans? Because I'm a Murali fan. I don't know why you're curious about it. What are you implying and why bring it up?
Don't think Tharmi was implying anything sinister TBH. Just that it's a site mostly designed with Lankans in mind.

sideshowtim

Banned
The only people I've seen agree with the idea that the ball was unfair and was the reason Gilchrist scored 149 are bitter and biased Sri Lankans. Shut up already and acknowledge a magnificent innings. The squash ball wasn't timing those shots, the squash ball wasn't seeing the cricket ball like a beach ball....

While Sri Lankans captain and team may be gracious the same can't be said for their fans.

pup11

International Coach
WTF? How the hell does Gilly break any rules by having a squash ball in his glove, if anything that should make gripping the bat a bit more difficult.

And if Gilly was trying to cheat why would he ever disclose the fact that he was he having a squash ball inside his glove.

So all the Sri lankan fans who are behaving like pathetic losers and calling Gilly a cheat, you guys just "**** OFF"!

PhoenixFire

International Coach
WTF? How the hell does Gilly break any rules by having a squash ball in his glove, if anything that should make gripping the bat a bit more difficult.

And if Gilly was trying to cheat why would he ever disclose the fact that he was he having a squash ball inside his glove.

So all the Sri lankan fans who are behaving like pathetic losers and calling Gilly a cheat, you guys just "**** OFF"!
Then why would he do it?

It's not as clear cut as 'He isn't breaking any rules', I cba to look up the MCC rules and stuff, but I think there might be something to do with foreign bodies and so on. I'm not calling him a cheat mind.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
I guess I am trying to understand where does one draw a line.
How is the ball-in-the-glove different from a bowler using a bandage on his finger? Both are used to get a better grip on the equipment, bat and ball, respectively.
Obviously the ball-in-the-glove was a one-off but what if it does give rise to Gilly-clones as everybody tries to exploit this (if it is at all possible)?
Why should bowlers be denied the opportunity to get more traction on the ball by using bandages?

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I guess the problem people (like me), will have with this, is that batsmen don't need any more leg-ups when it comes to not middling it/timing it, and still hitting boundaries. If I had my way then anything that aided batsmen like this should be outlawed to make the game a fairer contest.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Then why would he do it?
It's because it helps you to hit in the V. Gilly hits them through the off side too much and oft. slices them to point and ****, but with the ball it pushes you through the line more. I don't think it actually helps to time the ball at all, just gets him to play straighter because of his weird grip.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Why is it ridiculous? I bet the aussies would scream the house down if Jayasuria had done that. I agree with the guy who wrote that!
I couldn't give a **** what he has in his gloves. He still has to bat, it's not like Squash balls make you invulnerable to losing your wicket. And anyway, Sanath doesn't need to hit straighter, all his best shots are through the square regions of the ground.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Was this not mentioned in other countries during the actual game? On Sky over here Slater called it more-or-less straight away. He said Gilly had felt as if he was playing with too much bottom hand all through the tournament & the squash ball helped that.