Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilchrist a cheater?

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Haha. There's been nothing said in any reputable media outlets because it's pretty much the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Do the players have to get ICC sanctioned underwear before they can play international matches now?
    I suspect that is probably just the attitude Ponting took when he was using the now illegal graphite stripped bat 12 months ago....the ICC finally woke up and banned it.

I personally do not think Gilly cheated....he just failed to inform any of the officials on what he was doing...and looking at the rules, it probably does constitute a foreign object, giving an unfair advantage...so it may be deemed illegal.
    Last edited by shehanwije; 04-05-2007 at 01:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    no it's not, what you're saying is like comparing taking an energy drink to say steroids well there has to be a limit
    No, you're the one comparing the energy drink to steroids. This whole thing is so idiotic I don't even know why I'm discussing it. Some people will go to any extent to discredit the Australian side. Whether it be their batsmen play against poor bowlers, which inflates their averages, or the side are unsporting or their hairstyles are crap or this. It really reflects poorly on the lot of you tbh.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by shehanwije View Post
    I personally do not think Gilly cheated....he just failed to inform any of the officials on what he was doing...and looking at the rules, it probably does constitie a foreign object, giving an unfair advantage...so it may be deemed illegal.
    I think the law of cricket states that:

Batsmen: May use on the field on what is permitted by the laws of cricket.
    Bowlers: May use on the field what is permitted by the laws of cricket.

Exception being: May use what is ON THE FIELD!

Had the squash ball been ON the field it would not be illegal as I see it.

However I quoted that bit of shehanwije because I personallky think it is not Gilly failing to inform the officials but not wanting to inform them at all! When one has a squash ball inside one's gloves, something which makes his hands work to get a good grip on the bat, seldom would one's mind slip of such a thing!

That being said, it's dumb to cry about it being the ultimate deciding factor. The better team won and Gilly could've gotten a hundred without the squash ball in play. Maybe a few runs less but, oh well, who knows? What if he got more?
    Prowling tiger crouching low
    Ready to unleash its lethal blow
    Its eyes on the mighty prey
    Today the hunter will become the hunted!!!!!

.....woohoo my 400th post :p!!!!!.....

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    No, you're the one comparing the energy drink to steroids. This whole thing is so idiotic I don't even know why I'm discussing it. Some people will go to any extent to discredit the Australian side. Whether it be their batsmen play against poor bowlers, which inflates their averages, or the side are unsporting or their hairstyles are crap or this. It really reflects poorly on the lot of you tbh.
    .....everyone does it not just in the Aussies' case but in all other teams case as well!

~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Close this now IMO. Nothing more needs to be said.
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

International Debutant
    Pathetic excuse anyway, but that's about all that can be said.
    Supporting: NSW & Australia, women's cricket

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Haha. Gelman's right, of course, that there's a million more stupid things than this written every day, but it's still pretty funny, TBH.

I am in, so to speak, the court of "how on Earth can a squash-ball possibly help", though.

And TBH, stupid though this complaint may be, and much as it's blatantly obvious that it's nothing more than an attempt to find some way to discredit an Australia, if it's perceived that it helped Gilchrist here it's unlikely to be long before godzillions of others are trying it. And the outcome of that can only be two... it's banned or it's legalised.

And TBH, I struggle to see how such a thing could be policed if it were banned... it'd be as stupid as trying to ban fielders from sucking mints.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Ah bull****. Tha's all i'm saying on the matter.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    One thing i want to know is why Francis was visting the Murali fans site. Unless your a biased Sri Lankan i can't see why you would want to visit that site. He seems to visit that site a fair bit for whatever reason.

Also on Gilly gloves they will get banned sooner or later, they are basically just performance enhansing. Its siginifcant like other things, but the main purpose in having them is to provide an extra benefit while batting, which previously wasn't avialable. Its not as if its there for comfort or extra protection.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Do the players have to get ICC sanctioned underwear before they can play international matches now?
    In Wimbledon, there was an underwear controversy some time back. The all whites rules meant that women players had to have underwear inspected before matches so that it was all white and the huge horrific act of black or pink underwear coming into view while players were playing didn't arise.

Underwear coming into view from *certain players* used to be one of the highlights of the tournament IMO.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    Didn't certain wicket keepers keep raw meat in their gloves to soften the blow from the bowlers? Who said cricket was always a gentleman's game

One thing i want to know is why Francis was visting the Murali fans site. Unless your a biased Sri Lankan i can't see why you would want to visit that site. He seems to visit that site a fair bit for whatever reason.
    Why do I visit Muralifans? Because I'm a Murali fan. I don't know why you're curious about it. What are you implying and why bring it up?

Another thing I forgot to mention is that it's odd people are saying Gilchrist was out of form, and now he's in-form because of the glove... as if all those cleanly hit shots came from a glove. Gilchrist has good days from time to time.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information