• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist a cheater?

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
The half squash ball in the glove does appear to provide more bouyancy (releasing stored energy into the bat)...and enables Gilly to get the mis hits over the in field and even to the boundary. Clearly introducing a foreign object is contrary to the rules.

Checkout the video evidence at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuC5QxaO4rY

There is signifcant noise on all cricket forums about this matter - but the silence in the Aus press is deafening (What a surprise!)

Gilly or not, Sri Lanka were clearly not destined to win this cup - with the rub of the green going against it. For example, when the rains came down and the umps called for an early drinks break at 16 overs (scheduled break was at the half way point of 19 overs), SL were 105/1 - at the same stage, Aus were 98/0.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
well if ear peices aren't allow than i think this is a fair debate then. Cause the squash ball ins't a protective gear. It's a permormance enhancer kind of so hmm...

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The half squash ball in the glove does appear to provide more bouyancy (releasing stored energy into the bat)...and enables Gilly to get the mis hits over the in field and even to the boundary. Clearly introducing a foreign object is contrary to the rules.

Checkout the video evidence at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuC5QxaO4rY

There is signifcant noise on all cricket forums about this matter - but the silence in the Aus press is deafening (What a surprise!)
Haha. There's been nothing said in any reputable media outlets because it's pretty much the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Do the players have to get ICC sanctioned underwear before they can play international matches now?

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Haha. There's been nothing said in any reputable media outlets because it's pretty much the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Do the players have to get ICC sanctioned underwear before they can play international matches now?
their underwear doesn't work as a performance enhancer though.

pasag

RTDAS
Um, why not? It could be an awesome pair of underwear that makes you feel great and heaps comfortable and because of it you go out there and hit a hundred. It's the same stupidity as this. Would expect this sort of discussion on cricbuzz tbh, absolutely dire.

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

It does!.....in 2017 it does!

Well, this is outrageous! Sri Lanka has hence won the match fair and suare!
A squash ball? The moment I heard it I jumped off my seat!
Now what we need is the ICC to take away the Tropy form Australia hand it over to Sri Lanka. Warn the Australian team, fine Gilchrist and then actually think of the idea that Gilly used!

Hmm.....cricket gloves + squash balls = money for ICC....and start their own line of Equipents :wacko:!

SL are the winners and the Aussies the losers!

Further more! Gilly knew before hand that there would be problem with the lights and that the innings' would be shortened and so he went for uber-attack! That is inhumane :@.....he should be fine :ranting:!!!!!
High on energy drinks, studying for exams, HAD to make a post :ph34r:!

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Um, why not? It could be an awesome pair of underwear that makes you feel great and heaps comfortable and because of it you go out there and hit a hundred. It's the same stupidity as this. Would expect this sort of discussion on cricbuzz tbh, absolutely dire.
no it's not, what you're saying is like comparing taking an energy drink to say steroids well there has to be a limit

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
I suspect that is probably just the attitude Ponting took when he was using the now illegal graphite stripped bat 12 months ago....the ICC finally woke up and banned it.

I personally do not think Gilly cheated....he just failed to inform any of the officials on what he was doing...and looking at the rules, it probably does constitute a foreign object, giving an unfair advantage...so it may be deemed illegal.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
no it's not, what you're saying is like comparing taking an energy drink to say steroids well there has to be a limit
No, you're the one comparing the energy drink to steroids. This whole thing is so idiotic I don't even know why I'm discussing it. Some people will go to any extent to discredit the Australian side. Whether it be their batsmen play against poor bowlers, which inflates their averages, or the side are unsporting or their hairstyles are crap or this. It really reflects poorly on the lot of you tbh.

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

I personally do not think Gilly cheated....he just failed to inform any of the officials on what he was doing...and looking at the rules, it probably does constitie a foreign object, giving an unfair advantage...so it may be deemed illegal.
I think the law of cricket states that:

Batsmen: May use on the field on what is permitted by the laws of cricket.
Bowlers: May use on the field what is permitted by the laws of cricket.

Exception being: May use what is ON THE FIELD!

Had the squash ball been ON the field it would not be illegal as I see it.

However I quoted that bit of shehanwije because I personallky think it is not Gilly failing to inform the officials but not wanting to inform them at all! When one has a squash ball inside one's gloves, something which makes his hands work to get a good grip on the bat, seldom would one's mind slip of such a thing!

That being said, it's dumb to cry about it being the ultimate deciding factor. The better team won and Gilly could've gotten a hundred without the squash ball in play. Maybe a few runs less but, oh well, who knows? What if he got more?

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain
.....woohoo my 400th post :p!!!!!.....

No, you're the one comparing the energy drink to steroids. This whole thing is so idiotic I don't even know why I'm discussing it. Some people will go to any extent to discredit the Australian side. Whether it be their batsmen play against poor bowlers, which inflates their averages, or the side are unsporting or their hairstyles are crap or this. It really reflects poorly on the lot of you tbh.
:huh:.....everyone does it not just in the Aussies' case but in all other teams case as well!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha. Gelman's right, of course, that there's a million more stupid things than this written every day, but it's still pretty funny, TBH.

I am in, so to speak, the court of "how on Earth can a squash-ball possibly help", though. :huh:

And TBH, stupid though this complaint may be, and much as it's blatantly obvious that it's nothing more than an attempt to find some way to discredit an Australia, if it's perceived that it helped Gilchrist here it's unlikely to be long before godzillions of others are trying it. And the outcome of that can only be two... it's banned or it's legalised.

And TBH, I struggle to see how such a thing could be policed if it were banned... it'd be as stupid as trying to ban fielders from sucking mints.