• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist a cheater?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Incidentally there was an article in this month's All Out Cricket (produced by the PCA in England) where they got 50 current and recently retired First Class Cricketers to each give one tip on technique or similar.

One (I think it was Michael Brown of Hampshire) of them recommended sticking a squash ball in the glove on your bottom hand if you were having problems with your grip (would type the exact quote but can't be bothered to go upstairs and get the magazine)

I'm fairly sure that that article was written pre-World Cup Final...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Incidentally there was an article in this month's All Out Cricket (produced by the PCA in England) where they got 50 current and recently retired First Class Cricketers to each give one tip on technique or similar.

One (I think it was Michael Brown of Hampshire) of them recommended sticking a squash ball in the glove on your bottom hand if you were having problems with your grip (would type the exact quote but can't be bothered to go upstairs and get the magazine)

I'm fairly sure that that article was written pre-World Cup Final...
Would be interesting to read...since it was written pre-Gilchrist - Any links ?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Don't think it's available online to be honest - the text is as follows though:

If your bottom hand is too dominant when holding the bat try putting a popped squash ball inside your bottom hand batting glove, placing it between your hand and the bat handle.It will reduce the imapct your bottom hand can haveon the bat without negatively affecting how you play.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
From what i've read about it, i don't think Gilchirst was the 1st player to use something similar. Its like most things, when a big name player has success with it, people just think he came up with the idea. I think that squash player himself used it a fair bit during his cricketing career. I think he played grade cricket or maybe even FC cricket in his glory days.