• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist a cheater?

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
No only in the Final. We wouldn't be having this discussion if that were the case.
\]]

This is the first time that Gilly used it in the WC according to Gilly himself...he has used it once before in a match, for WA vs Qld last summer. Guess the result - another hundred!

Listening to a Bracken interview a few days ago, he was not even aware that Gilly was going to use the squash ball and seemed to conclude that it was a last minute decision to use it.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
how is it any different from wearing inners inside the gloves which also improves a batsman's grip on the bat.
The "gripe on the grip" appears to be built on the fact that the squash ball (made of rubber) aborbs the vibrations (particularly when the batsman is beaten and the ball does not hit the sweetspot) and then helps transform this kinetic energy back to the ball...so the mi**** travels a lot further. Whereas the inner glove is a purely comfort element - better grip and sweat absorber, its not a performance enhancing device.

From Ashantha De Mel's pretty hard hitting comments, it looks as if the SL Board will be taking this issue up with the ICC at the next meeting in June.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
\]]

This is the first time that Gilly used it in the WC according to Gilly himself...he has used it once before in a match, for WA vs Qld last summer. Guess the result - another hundred!

Listening to a Bracken interview a few days ago, he was not even aware that Gilly was going to use the squash ball and seemed to conclude that it was a last minute decision to use it.
Was that a Pura Cup Match ?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
correct me if i'm wrong, but hadn't he been using it for the whole tournament?

Thought i'd read that somewhere
He used it in the nets for the whole tournment. I don't understand why a batsmen would use different equipment in the nets and then not use it in the game. It surely is going to effect the way you bat, as it would make you feel like your missing something everytime you bat.

pup11

International Coach
No it wasn't a Pura cup game, it was limited over game where Gilly scored that 100 against QLD.

I guess the squash ball would only help a batsman who holds the bat like Gilly.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
No it wasn't a Pura cup game, it was limited over game where Gilly scored that 100 against QLD.

I guess the squash ball would only help a batsman who holds the bat like Gilly.
I can see it helping guys like Jayasuriya who play more square. The main thing is not to do with your grip, its about hitting more straight as well as lowering the control of your bottom hand. Flintoff, Kemp and Kapugegura could do with as well.

pasag

RTDAS
It's pretty sad that this thread is still going on really, even after the MCC, ICC and all common sense has cleared him.

Also, shehanwije - troll. I don't mind people being critical about Australia, everyone has the right to be, but when you do it in nearly every post it tells me one thing, you're a troll.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Also, shehanwije - troll. I don't mind people being critical about Australia, everyone has the right to be, but when you do it in nearly every post it tells me one thing, you're a troll.
Bit harsh IMO, have you read his posts in non Sri Lanka/Australia threads. Clearly Australia not his favorite team, but doesn't make him a troll. Other posters post in a similar way when it comes to Australia and some of them are long term posters.

pasag

RTDAS
Bit harsh IMO, have you read his posts in non Sri Lanka/Australia threads. Clearly Australia not his favorite team, but doesn't make him a troll. Other posters post in a similar way when it comes to Australia and some of them are long term posters.
Well in long term posters who are often critical of Australia, like Sanz, they are also critical of many other things as well and are more or less consistent.But you're right there are some long term trolls as well. I don't think he hates Australia, he might heavily dislike Australia, yes, but I think he wants to get reactions out of people more than anything. I'm not saying he should be banned or anything, I just think he should probably focus more on actual cricket and less on trying to wind people up. But I suppose he comes here solely for the latter though.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Well in long term posters who are often critical of Australia, like Sanz, they are also critical of many other things as well and are more or less consistent.But you're right there are some long term trolls as well. I don't think he hates Australia, he might heavily dislike Australia, yes, but I think he wants to get reactions out of people more than anything. I don't think he should be banned or anything, I just think he should probably post more on actual cricket and less on winding people up. But I suppose he comes here solely for the latter though.
If you read majority of his post he comes here to talk about Sri Lankan cricket. You just seem to have noticed the small percentage of posts that have been extremely anti Australian and slightly designed to wing up posters. He does provide a lot of construtive debate when it comes to Sri Lankan cricket, so i can't see how you can think he comes here just to wind up people. He does have to tone it down when it comes to Australia/Sri Lanka issues or he will just get off side of many Australian posters here, like his already done with you. With more construtive Sri Lankan related posting and less Anti Australian he will be fine IMO. Also a lot of it has to do with the fact that his joined the forum around the time when there has been a lot highly tempted Australia/Sri Lanka issues eg Player resting, World Cup Final and now the Gilly issue. I think you should give him more of chance.

pasag

RTDAS
If you read majority of his post he comes here to talk about Sri Lankan cricket. You just seem to have noticed the small percentage of posts that have been extremely anti Australian and slightly designed to wing up posters. He does provide a lot of construtive debate when it comes to Sri Lankan cricket, so i can't see how you can think he comes here just to wind up people. He does have to tone it down when it comes to Australia/Sri Lanka issues or he will just get off side of many Australian posters here, like his already done with you. With more construtive Sri Lankan related posting and less Anti Australian he will be fine IMO. Also a lot of it has to do with the fact that his joined the forum around the time when there has been a lot highly tempted Australia/Sri Lanka issues eg Player resting, World Cup Final and now the Gilly issue. I think you should give him more of chance.
Yeah fair enough.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah i would agree with that too...

Anyways isn't it about time that this thread gets closed because as Pasag said MCC and ICC both have cleared Gilly, so what is all this fuss about?

Everyone is free to use the squash ball so lets just cut the crap and get over with this topic.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Very unfair to call Shehan Wije a Troll.

The guy is very sensible in his posts , he has very constructive comments on lots of issues. He is a Sri Lankan and sometimes his comments are erring towards favouring SL , just as my comments often do.... But that certainly does not make him a Troll.

He is a very knowledgeable poster and I enjoy reading lot of his posts.

pasag

RTDAS
Very unfair to call Shehan Wije a Troll.

The guy is very sensible in his posts , he has very constructive comments on lots of issues. He is a Sri Lankan and sometimes his comments are erring towards favouring SL , just as my comments often do.... But that certainly does not make him a Troll.

He is a very knowledgeable poster and I enjoy reading lot of his posts.
You did reflect an almost similar sentiment not long ago here, but as I said to Tharmi, I would give him more of a chance.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A hex on you... :mad:

(This might just go on for a while and might just lead to a warning from The Boss about spamming...)

chipmonk

U19 Debutant
It's pretty sad that this thread is still going on really, even after the MCC, ICC and all common sense has cleared him.

Totally Disagree ! If that's your benchmark for a troll most of the members here should be accused of same .... Cough ..... cough ... Scaly ....cough fiery.... m**** !:laugh:

Last edited: