Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Gilchrist a cheater?

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON View Post
    None the less, SL team is always on the back foot whenever they play Australia with Murali ...the moment the guy gets wickets ...the journos start putting pressure on Murali and anyone else associated with him and the Team....those in the stands in Australia shouting and throwing things and making extremely unpleasant for the guy(Murali) and other Sri Lankans ... and then you get someone like Broad or some lackey jumping up to seize the moment ..... And the Sri Lankans are really on the backfoot thereafter ... and it ends being a fair contest... thereafter ..

My point is it is a bit harsh to just pin point "we in the Subcontinent" as being unique to these Trait thats all.
    TBH most of that stuff from the crowd is just sledging, if he can't cope with thats his problem. Other players who tour Australia, cope it as bad and same applies when players go to other countries.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    I think you are being extremely harsh on "we in the subcontinent" .

Murali despite going through umpteen number of tests and continuously trying hard to prove himself , is regarded a "cheat " and repeatedly castigated and insulted and humiliated , not by "we in the subcontinent " and not by "we in Britain " either .... (in fact it happened at the World cup in the Caribbean as well and believe it or not at a game against Ireland ...by a voice sounding very Australian) (c.f Muralifans .com site ...garbage page or whatever....) So I personally feel that criticism is a bit harsh....
    I said it twice in the same post ...

Some of it justified some not. We are not alone in it even if we are.

I reiterate, we are not alone in this, but we have to worry about ourselves.

If you still think its harsh, well it will be impossible to be critical of ourselves in that case. I have always believed that constructive and well meant (thats most important) self criticsm is one of the best tools for improvement and have always practiced it at home and at work. Difficult to change at 57 .

I consider self criticism more important (much more) than criticising others. For that does nothing for those I care for.

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    TBH most of that stuff from the crowd is just sledging, if he can't cope with thats his problem. Other players who tour Australia, cope it as bad and same applies when players go to other countries.
    Yeah and Brett Lee got no-balled by the English crowd at the MCG heaps this year, although the guy doing it to Murali was a total dick. Not sure if he's Australian though, I couldn't tell and it would be foolish and irresponsible on anyones part to make the assumption of what nationality they came from based on them shouting two words.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Thats absolute rubbish...I am surprised its coming from a "Sri Lankan" .

The guy gets absolutely trashed far worse than anyone else has ever had in Australia...

Have you ever seen the rubbish that guy gets ....You have no idea what you are talking about if you think that others put up with the same amount of "crap" he has to put up with ...

I bet you will struggle if it was you, honestly ...its not him alone but it affects the rest of the Team too...wake up and see the reality .
    Last edited by JASON; 09-05-2007 at 12:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    I said it twice in the same post ...

Some of it justified some not. We are not alone in it even if we are.

I reiterate, we are not alone in this, but we have to worry about ourselves.

If you still think its harsh, well it will be impossible to be critical of ourselves in that case. I have always believed that constructive and well meant (thats most important) self criticsm is one of the best tools for improvement and have always practiced it at home and at work. Difficult to change at 57 .

I consider self criticism more important (much more) than criticising others. For that does nothing for those I care for.
    Fair enough...

The guy gets absolutely trashed far worse than anyone else has ever had in Australia...

Have you ever seen the rubbish that guy gets ....You have no idea what you are talking about if you think that others put up with the same amount of "crap" he has to put up with ...

I bet you will struggle if it was you, honestly ...its not him alone but it affects the rest of the Team too...wake up and see the reality .
    The thing is mate i've seen matches involving Sri Lanka/Australia, West Indies/Australia, South Africa/Australia, India/Australia and England/Australia at the SCG live. I can honestly say that he doesn't cope it worse then most players, especially big name players like Flintoff, Pollock, Tendulkar, Lara etc.

Most of the times the no ball stuff only last for a couple overs. The only time i have ever seen it go for his whole spell is during his 0/99. Also i've seen English fans no ball Lee, for longer then Australian fans no ball Murali. When it comes to personal attacks players like Lara and Flintoff who's partner are/were known cope far worse then Murali.

Have you actually been to a live match in Australia, cus honestly the stuff he copes from the crowd isn't that bad. Its been hyped up a lot, cus he doesn't like it one bit when crowds no ball him, even for a couple overs.
    Last edited by chaminda_00; 09-05-2007 at 12:26 AM.

Banned

It's no worse than what multitudes of other players had had over the years. Hadlee used to cop it big time. In fact I think the (imaginative) Aussie chant "<insert player's name>'s a wanker!!" chant started with "Hadlee's a wanker!!!"

The thing is mate i've seen matches involving Sri Lanka/Australia, West Indies/Australia, South Africa/Australia, India/Australia and England/Australia at the SCG live. I can honestly say that he doesn't cope it worse then most players, especially big name players like Flintoff, Pollock, Tendulkar, Lara etc.

Most of the times the no ball stuff only last for a couple overs. The only time i have ever seen it go for his whole spell is during his 0/99. Also i've seen English fans no ball Lee, for longer then Australian fans no ball Murali. When it comes to personal attacks players like Lara and Flintoff who's partner are/were known cope far worse then Murali.

Have you actually been to a live match in Australia, cus honestly the stuff he copes from the crowd isn't that bad. Its been hyped up a lot, cus he doesn't like it one bit when crowds no ball him, even for a couple overs.
    I have been to several games ...and the things that has gone on in the stands made me squirm and feel very uneasy....imagine what it must do to the player in the middle ...

Have the Aussies shouted and jeered at "big name players like Flintoff, Pollock, Tendulkar, Lara etc" as cheats or "four letter word cheats" ....I would be interested to hear ...

And anyone who cops the amount of rubbish he gets will certainly not like it ...it must be horrible feeling...and its not a couple of overs, ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    It's no worse than what multitudes of other players had had over the years. Hadlee used to cop it big time. In fact I think the (imaginative) Aussie chant "<insert player's name>'s a wanker!!" chant started with "Hadlee's a wanker!!!"
    Interesting comments, coming from a Neutral observer such as yourself...

Have the Aussies shouted and jeered at "big name players like Flintoff, Pollock, Tendulkar, Lara etc" as cheats or "four letter word cheats" ....I would be interested to hear ...
    They may not go around calling them cheats, but they do cope similar types of abuse from the crowds in Australia and probably around the World. Remember the last South African tour to Australia, the players complained about rascist remarks to some of their players.

Im not saying the stuff they say is right or what should be said about little kids. The outer of the SCG isn't somewhere i would take a child if i had one. Buts its really seems to part of the sporting culture in Australia. The stuff that said to Murali and other big name players, is nothing compared to what is at Rugby League grounds around Australia.

Really which ever way you look at it, Murali doesn't cope it worse then anyone else, when it comes the crowd. The media on the other hand you have point.

They may not go around calling them cheats, but they do cope similar types of abuse from the crowds in Australia and probably around the World. Remember the last South African tour to Australia, the players complained about rascist remarks to some of their players.

Im not saying the stuff they say is right or what should be said about little kids. The outer of the SCG isn't somewhere i would take a child if i had one. Buts its really seems to part of the sporting culture in Australia. The stuff that said to Murali and other big name players, is nothing compared to what is at Rugby League grounds around Australia.

Really which ever way you look at it, Murali doesn't cope it worse then anyone else, when it comes the crowd. The media on the other hand you have point.
    Have to disagree with you there....Murali cops the worst any Cricketer has had to ever in Australia .

I am not comparing with league or the rubbish Beckham had to put up with at Man U , ok...I am talking about the most abuse hurled at a player on a cricket field by Fans...

Australian Media ...there is no disagreement...although they've changed in the last 3 years or so, IMO..

Interesting comments, coming from a Neutral observer such as yourself...
    The same could be said about your posts on the matter too though!
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Yeah, the crowds are poor, but that's because the sport is hijacked by bogans who want to get drunk and be abusive. They come to the cricket solely to get pissed and shout stuff, which in their mind is having a good time. It's lamentable that we have been unfortunate enough for this situation to occur and the worst part is, to someone from another country whose sole contact with Australia is through cricket, it portrays a pretty bad light on the rest on the rest. It's not something you see in AFL and I've been going to AFL matches since I've been two years old or so.

Also this mudslinging really has to stop on all fronts. It's getting rather tedious. An Australian says so and so are sore losers, the so and so replies look at the 2005 Ashes. Sunil claims Australians are ungraceful, Ponting and others says Indians are worse. Over here there is a point brought up and all of a sudden the mud is slung onto the Murali issue that had little to do with anything. People are so eager to make everyone else look so much worse, to belittle and find any flimisical thing to discredit or portray in poor light, that quite frankly it's disgusting, on all levels and that's not to say I've been so clean myself either. This is something that is really beginning to annoy me tbh and needs to stop. It's gone way past the traditional rivalries and good natured ribbing and into down right hatred territory.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    The same could be said about your posts on the matter too though!
    Dire !

I've only noticed good press about Murali in the Australian media recently (past couple of years). Before the WC final there was a huge front sport page picture in the Saturday Age of him with a ball digitally edited into the world, with a headline of 'he has the world in his hands' or something like that, and that this was the genius in the way of an Australian victory. Hardly the evil anti-Murali media you'd expect from the way some post.

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread Information