• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist a cheater?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I tried the squash ball and believe me it felt like my palm has swelled, and it felt odd and i wasn't comfortable holding the bat.

Though i have to admit that unlike Gilly who holds the bat by the top of the handle, i am more of a bottom-handed batsman.

So the squash ball didn't help me become a better batsman as i got out for 5 (17 balls).
Sorry to hear that but you have become a martyr in a greater cause.

Thanks for trying it.:)

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
Lankan Chairman of Selectors Fires Salvo

Gilchrist ball fury
PA Sport

Adam Gilchrist's use of a squash ball in his glove as a batting aid has been likened to 'taking a steroid' by a leading figure in Sri Lanka cricket. Australia batsman Gilchrist admitted after the 53-run victory over the Sri Lankans in the World Cup final that he used a squash ball to give him a better grip.

Asantha de Mel, the Sri Lanka chairman of selectors, said: "We must find out whether it enhanced his performance and Gilchrist has admitted that it did." "He has admitted that it gave more power for his shots, which means that it enhanced his performance. It's like an athlete taking a steroid. Therefore it's unethical." "Cricket laws don't allow you to have additional equipment.""The ICC should look into the matter and make sure that it doesn't happen in the future."

Sri Lanka Cricket secretary Kangadaran Mathivanan is preparing to raise the issue at next month's International Cricket Council annual general meeting.

"The Australians are famous for these things," De Mel said. "They bowled underarm and it was banned. Then Dennis Lillie tried to use an aluminium bat and it was banned too. More recently Ricky Ponting's graphite bat was banned as well."

http://www.sportal.com.au/cricket.asp?i=news&id=98448

Fiery

Banned
Hear hear. Gilchrist added something to his equipment that had never been used before and had never had any clearance from any governing body...ban him. This is quite outrageous...I would go as far as saying that because his teammates and management knew and approved this they should all be banned from cricket for 10 years...no doubt in my mind.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Positively the most ridiculous post in history. 8-)

(Yes, I was only pretending to miss the sarcasm there)

open365

International Vice-Captain
4. Did it affect the outcome of the match ? Those who think so need a visit to a doctor with a couch !
Eh? The guy scored the highest individual score in a WC final, obviously there's no way to prove how much using a squash ball affected his performance but judging from Gilly's reaction when he scored his 100 i would think it had at least some effect.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He thinks it had some effect, without doubt. And it might well have done. But we can't be close to certain of it - it's not like Gilchrist has never had lean-ish spells which have ended with a very large bang before.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
He thinks it had some effect, without doubt. And it might well have done. But we can't be close to certain of it - it's not like Gilchrist has never had lean-ish spells which have ended with a very large bang before.
The fact that he himself recognised it as a major factor in his turn around of form is good enough for me...IMO he was the best person to judge if it helped him or not... And his jubilant recognition of it(when he scored his 100 and signalling to the Physio and his subsequent statements to that effect) is good enough for me ...

Athlai

Not Terrible
The fact that he himself recognised it as a major factor in his turn around of form is good enough for me...IMO he was the best person to judge if it helped him or not... And his jubilant recognition of it(when he scored his 100 and signalling to the Physio and his subsequent statements to that effect) is good enough for me ...
To be fair I think for its helpfulness to be truely tested then it would need to be used more than in this isolated innings, if brilliant knocks sprout up every because of it. Then maybe.

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
correct me if i'm wrong, but hadn't he been using it for the whole tournament?

Thought i'd read that somewhere

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Eh? The guy scored the highest individual score in a WC final, obviously there's no way to prove how much using a squash ball affected his performance but judging from Gilly's reaction when he scored his 100 i would think it had at least some effect.
No one has yet said that they KNOW/HAVE CHECKED/ARE SURE the innovation halps in anything except helping him correct his grip. And that is not and will never be outlawed. Someone may tomorrow (purely hypothetically) decide to put glue on his laft hand glove or a double sided tale on it and bat hande for the same effect. No one can object to that.

As for Gilchrist's showing the glove to the dressing room its perfectly understandable. Just imagine the scenario. He and some of his Aussie mates have been discussing his batting. He or someone else pointed out that he was bringing his right hand too much into his shots. No corrective measure was working and then someone suggested this.

He tried it (maybe first in the nets) and he got a hundred. Surely he would wave it to his mates either to say yes I was right or yes you were right or something to that effect.

How does it prove that it helps in getting mis hits go further.

BTW, the one thing that DEFINITELY makes mis hits go further is modern bats and another thing that makes mis hits go for six is smaller boundaries. No one seems to be complaining. There is a strong case for not reducing boundaries at least.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Gilly only used the squash ball in the final, but even if the squash ball improves his grip how is it any different from wearing inners inside the gloves which also improves a batsman's grip on the bat.