• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist a cheater?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I've only noticed good press about Murali in the Australian media recently (past couple of years). Before the WC final there was a huge front sport page picture in the Saturday Age of him with a ball digitally edited into the world, with a headline of 'he has the world in his hands' or something like that, and that this was the genius in the way of an Australian victory. Hardly the evil anti-Murali media you'd expect from the way some post.
There is no doubt its improved lately, but it was very dire before.

Fiery

Banned
Yeah, the crowds are poor, but that's because the sport is hijacked by bogans who want to get drunk and be abusive. They come to the cricket solely to get pissed and shout stuff, which in their mind is having a good time. It's lamentable that we have been unfortunate enough for this situation to occur and the worst part is, to someone from another country whose sole contact with Australia is through cricket, it portrays a pretty bad light on the rest on the rest. It's not something you see in AFL and I've been going to AFL matches since I've been two years old or so.

Also this mudslinging really has to stop on all fronts. It's getting rather tedious. An Australian says so and so are sore losers, the so and so replies look at the 2005 Ashes. Sunil claims Australians are ungraceful, Ponting and others says Indians are worse. Over here there is a point brought up and all of a sudden the mud is slung onto the Murali issue that had little to do with anything. People are so eager to make everyone else look so much worse, to belittle and find any flimisical thing to discredit or portray in poor light, that quite frankly it's disgusting, on all levels and that's not to say I've been so clean myself either. This is something that is really beginning to annoy me tbh and needs to stop. It's gone way past the traditional rivalries and good natured ribbing and into down right hatred territory.
I love it tbh :laugh:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah, the crowds are poor, but that's because the sport is hijacked by bogans who want to get drunk and be abusive. They come to the cricket solely to get pissed and shout stuff, which in their mind is having a good time. It's lamentable that we have been unfortunate enough for this situation to occur and the worst part is, to someone from another country whose sole contact with Australia is through cricket, it portrays a pretty bad light on the rest on the rest. It's not something you see in AFL and I've been going to AFL matches since I've been two years old or so.
But with AFL, there's more happening, the ball is moving 90% of the time.

Watching cricket is always a pretty social event, even if you're not going there to get sauced, you still want to go there with people because there's so much downtime - talk dross and stuff in between.

pasag

RTDAS
But with AFL, there's more happening, the ball is moving 90% of the time.

Watching cricket is always a pretty social event, even if you're not going there to get sauced, you still want to go there with people because there's so much downtime - talk dross and stuff in between.
Indeed, that's one of the reasons, but more importantly people go to the footy to see their side play, these are usually the real supporters whereas at the cricket, half the time it's people who don't have much of a clue and are there for a 'fun day at the cricket' getting wasted. It's not like they come to watch and inadvertently get trashed and become idiots, they set out to do that from the outset.

pup11

International Coach
Now since the MCC has already said that Gilly didn't break any law by using the squash ball inside his glove, and they feel its similar to wearing inners inside the gloves.

So that should put all the doubts to rest now within Sri lanka.

Fiery

Banned
He still cheated in my mind...may as well have gone out there with spring-loaded shoes so he could run between the wickets faster iyam

Flem274*

123/5
Indeed, that's one of the reasons, but more importantly people go to the footy to see their side play, these are usually the real supporters whereas at the cricket, half the time it's people who don't have much of a clue and are there for a 'fun day at the cricket' getting wasted. It's not like they come to watch and inadvertently get trashed and become idiots, they set out to do that from the outset.
That's true, in NZ whenever we play Aussie there's alot of chants at the start which are fairly OK. In the second innings however once everyone's drunk you hear chants like the one at one of this years CH games, "Hussey is a ******". (OK at the time it did make me laugh after all the pain of the CB series but it was a bit unneeded)Though that is not as bad as the bottle throwing which really is'nt good (example is after Brett Lee's beamer at McCullum). The security staff don't really help though, they do thier best to wind people up over here so they can chuck them out. I heard a story where the crowd had one of those huge beach balls and it fell down to the bottom of the stand where the guard got it and held it up in front of the crowd and slowly let the air out. Sure enough, there was alot of drunken abuse hurled at both the guard and the Aussie players. What the guard did was not on IMO. In saying that though, from what I saw on TV and from what my cousin told me, the atmosphere at NZ day night games is awesome.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Also this mudslinging really has to stop on all fronts. It's getting rather tedious. An Australian says so and so are sore losers, the so and so replies look at the 2005 Ashes. Sunil claims Australians are ungraceful, Ponting and others says Indians are worse. Over here there is a point brought up and all of a sudden the mud is slung onto the Murali issue that had little to do with anything. People are so eager to make everyone else look so much worse, to belittle and find any flimisical thing to discredit or portray in poor light, that quite frankly it's disgusting, on all levels and that's not to say I've been so clean myself either. This is something that is really beginning to annoy me tbh and needs to stop. It's gone way past the traditional rivalries and good natured ribbing and into down right hatred territory.
Damn straight, thought that once or twice myself.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Well. Here is my take on this.

We in the sub-continent have been getting a reputation of being bad losers. Some of it justified some not. We are not alone in it even if we are.

Then there are some people like Mahela who come out and say just the right things. These need to be endorsed and picked up as examples and reinforced. Not just in our international sides and their leaders but in our people and our youngsters at large.

When we start a debate like this and so many of us join in to support the negativity, it has an impact of undoing what Mahela did. No. I wasnt refering to the board official but all the endorsements this line of thinking gets.

ICC (MCC by proxy) may have done us a favour by nipping this in the bud. We need to take the hint and pipe down.

Its not the squash ball that bothers me but this tendency to start screaming 'cheater' at the slightest pretext and more often when we lose. We need to change this.

I reiterate, we are not alone in this, but we have to worry about ourselves.
Given pasag's comments after this post, I'd say you might be right about these debates undoing the effect of Mahela's graciousness.
I don't really know to what extent you can generalize, though. I think there seems to be an atmosphere of "competitive mudslinging", not necessarily limited to Asians.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Given pasag's comments after this post, I'd say you might be right about these debates undoing the effect of Mahela's graciousness.
I don't really know to what extent you can generalize, though. I think there seems to be an atmosphere of "competitive mudslinging", not necessarily limited to Asians.
Sure

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There is so much being said here without anything to substantiate.

Who has anything to support the 'fact' that putting a squash ball inside the glove makes the ball go further or a mi**** go for four or six which it wouldnt otherwise.

If not then whats the point in comparing it to some hypothetical shoes that would make you run faster.

Get a squash ball from the bazaar tomorrow and try it and come back and report tomorrow on whether it made your shots go further.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think we can rest assured that 1 or 2 other people might just be trying it sometime soon...

In any case, it doesn't seem to be a matter of improving the potency of "mi****s" (:p nigh****chman clas****) but of inadvertantly improving the technique.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Aw, I think Douglas Jardine copped it pretty bad out here :ph34r:
Took it on the chin tho, did Lord Douglas. There's that (possibly apocryphal) story about Patsy Hendren saying to DRJ that the Sydney crowd didn't seem to like him very much. Jardine replied,

"It's ****ing mutual."

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's as apocryphal as "You guys are history" and "Hersch, you've just dropped the World Cup".

The latter of those and the Hendren story, however, have grown for a reason, and would be excellent character-references for the players (Waugh and Jardine) in question

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Love the bit about the damage already being done, especially re. Ponting. He's hardly been like Samson without his hair since they got rid of the graphite bat, has he?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I think we can rest assured that 1 or 2 other people might just be trying it sometime soon...In any case, it doesn't seem to be a matter of improving the potency of "mi****s" (:p nigh****chman clas****) but of inadvertantly improving the technique.
I hope some of the Biomechanical guys at the University of Hongkong or Singapore or even WA should put it through a control experiment/Testing process. ...

Then we will all be wiser.

I suspect sooner or later some one like Sanath J or Tharanga may be used to experiment this by the Sri Lankans if the ICC does not rule on this...

pup11

International Coach
I tried the squash ball and believe me it felt like my palm has swelled, and it felt odd and i wasn't comfortable holding the bat.

Though i have to admit that unlike Gilly who holds the bat by the top of the handle, i am more of a bottom-handed batsman.

So the squash ball didn't help me become a better batsman as i got out for 5 (17 balls).

Anyways do you guys think Gilly should keep on using the squash ball.

The_Bunny

State Regular
I tried the squash ball and believe me it felt like my palm has swelled, and it felt odd and i wasn't comfortable holding the bat.

Though i have to admit that unlike Gilly who holds the bat by the top of the handle, i am more of a bottom-handed batsman.

So the squash ball didn't help me become a better batsman as i got out for 5 (17 balls).

Anyways do you guys think Gilly should keep on using the squash ball.
Yup..:ph34r:
Odi 200 coming up:happy: