Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Being Magnanimous in Defeat

If you aren't the top team and have performed miserably in pretty much every ODI tournament of some significance then you aren't second best either and I would rather have the team as that reached the finals of the world cup in 2007 and made it to the Semis in the last one, losing to the eventual champions on both occasions.

Playing 50 uselsss ODIs in conditions that suit you and then claim that you are the second best, isn't the best way to advertise yourself as the no. 2.

Also, whilst the Sri Lankans were certainly magnanimous in defeat, I can't say the same for a few of their fans who question Gilchrist having a squash ball in his gloves, the umpires and the size of the bats. Not that I care, just he faintest touch of hypocrisy if you would criticise SA here and say stuff like that regarding the final. IMO.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by JASON View Post
    At least I can acknowledge one SA fan who can see the point that was made in the original post without getting carried away with their personal feelings.

I hold no grudge from the SA pull out of Colombo. Events todate have if anything justified their doing what they did.
    Fair enough
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Also, whilst the Sri Lankans were certainly magnanimous in defeat, I can't say the same for a few of their fans who question Gilchrist having a squash ball in his gloves, the umpires and the size of the bats. Not that I care, just he faintest touch of hypocrisy if you would criticise SA here and say stuff like that regarding the final. IMO.
    Clutching @ Straws mate ? We aren't talking aobut fans here, we are talking about players, coaches, captains. That thread (about Gilchrist) doesn't even deserve my response.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Clutching @ Straws mate ? We aren't talking aobut fans here, we are talking about players, coaches, captains. That thread (about Gilchrist) doesn't even deserve my response.
    Can't agree with you there mate. When a person starts a thread accusing a certain side to be lacking of a trait he seems to be lacking himself, it reeks of hypocrisy on his part. Regardless of the fact he is not a player, coach etc.

Can't agree with you there mate. When a person starts a thread accusing a certain side to be lacking of a trait he seems to be lacking himself, it reeks of hypocrisy on his part. Regardless of the fact he is not a player, coach etc.
    Absolute pack of lies and the dumbest bluff of a post...if ever...

Where TF did I ever question Gilchrist or the squash ball stuff...

FFS are you becoming a damn liar here ...

IF anything you are the the hypocrite extraordinaire... and a real bluff artist is ever there was one ...don't quote lies to justify your argument...

Absolute pack of lies and the dumbest bluff of a post...if ever...

Where TF did I ever question Gilchrist or the squash ball stuff...

FFS are you becoming a damn liar here ...

IF anything you are the the hypocrite extraordinaire... and a real bluff artist is ever there was one ...don't quote lies to justify your argument...
    Nothing to do with the squash ball, that was a general comment on some fans, this was a specific one on you. This thread, some other of your posts and your general demeanour on here recently has signified either you're just a sore loser or you've completely lost the plot. Although I do suspect it was lost a while back with your ridiculous comments on the umpiring and iirc, your conspiracy theories about NZ making series at home right before big championships so they can demoralise their opponents before the next time they meet them. So I'm not sure which one it is tbh, although I'm happy to leave this right here as long as you stop with all the rubbish you've been spouting recently.

PY
    Well I'm glad to say that this thread ended up meeting my expectations.

I don't think it is unreasonable for people to make excuses when they lose, I think frankness is the exception rather than the norm.

It can be frustrating as a fan to hear someone making excuses but if I look at it objectively, I would do the same thing so can't be vociferous in my complaints.
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Nothing to do with the squash ball, that was a general comment on some fans, this was a specific one on you. This thread, some other of your posts and your general demeanour on here recently has signified either you're just a sore loser or you've completely lost the plot. Although I do suspect it was lost a while back with your ridiculous comments on the umpiring and iirc, your conspiracy theories about NZ making series at home right before big championships so they can demoralise their opponents before the next time they meet them. So I'm not sure which one it is tbh, although I'm happy to leave this right here as long as you stop with all the rubbish you've been spouting recently.
    More lies... where does this come from... please justify by providing links, instead of posting lies after lies...

Dire Extrordinaire ..

More lies... where does this come from... please justify by providing links, instead of posting lies after lies...

Dire Extrordinaire ..
    Well, if you didn't say that I apologize, but that's why I said 'iirc' and I strongly recall you saying something to that effect, but I have no intention of trawling thorough your thousands of posts to find it. There is no reason for me to lie, especially as this is rather disappointing for me, as you were one of the posters I've always respected and regarded highly. But this thread, together with your response to Jot1, together with your accusations against Prince and myself when claiming SA>SL and together with your questioning of whether they check the size of bats after SL lose, force me to change that perception and alter the high regard I once had, although I'm quite prepared to dismiss it as a momentary lapse on your part.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    When does a reason for defeat become an excuse?

"The fact that the pitch turned square and our three spinners were run over by an ice cream truck in the car park didn't help."

Excuse? Reason?

Oh, and http://forum.cricketweb.net/showpost...&postcount=215
    Last edited by Neil Pickup; 05-05-2007 at 04:21 AM.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

U19 Debutant
    I don't see what Jason has written to get all this critisism. Mahela could have given a variety of reasons/excuses to to minimise Australia's Fantastic Victory. For example if the table's were turned I don't think the Australians would have done the same. Mahela was praising Gilly's innings and the australians and gave all credit to them as he should have. I doubt some of the other captains would have done the same in the WC final under the circumstances.
    Last edited by chipmonk; 05-05-2007 at 09:06 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chipmonk View Post
    I don't see what Jason has written to get all this critisism. Mahela could have given a variety of reasons/excuses to to minimise Australia's Fantastic Victory. For example if the table's were turned I don't think the Australians would have done the same. Mahela was praising Gilly's innings and the australians and gave all credit to them as he should have. I doubt some of the other captains would have done the same in the WC final under the circumstances.
    That's unfair mate. When Australia lost the Ashes in 05 Ponting stood up in front of the cricketing world and said they had been outplayed by a better side, and relations between the two sides wre very good. The cricket media of the world also praised both sides on the spirit in which the series was played. And that despite Australia coming out on the worng side of the equation.
    Given that that was the last time they lost anything of real consequence, I don't see how you can make the comment that they would not have been as magnanimous in defeat as SL were. It sounds a little bitter and twisted to pre-suppose that Australia would not have been so gracious as other sides, and based on the available evidence, also unfair.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

School Boy/Girl Captain
    [QUOTE=Burgey;1185651]That's unfair mate. When Australia lost the Ashes in 05 Ponting stood up in front of the cricketing world and said they had been outplayed by a better side, and relations between the two sides wre very good. The cricket media of the world also praised both sides on the spirit in which the series was played. And that despite Australia coming out on the worng side of the equation.
    QUOTE]

Not Exactly The Way I remember the event !

Quote Originally Posted by legglancer12 View Post

Not Exactly The Way I remember the event !

Ricky Ponting - "Apart from when we won at Lord's (first Test) we were never as good as England and they deserve to win the Ashes."

Shane Warne - "England were better than us; it is as simple as that. We had a great battle but we were never as good as England throughout the series."

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information