Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Being Magnanimous in Defeat

Quote Originally Posted by Slats4ever View Post
    why didn't murali come in and bat at 10 like he was supposed to in the final?
    Because, the Sri Lankans wanted to use that as an excuse for their loss...

Because Sri Lanka would've won had he batted in good light...he would've scored a century in 20 balls and we would've won with a couple of overs to spare... we just wanted to use it as our main excuse at the post Match Press Conference...so SL PR machine and spin doctor told SL Team not to let Murali bat.... hope its clear now...

Quote Originally Posted by JASON View Post
    And by the way your posts are usually a lot of nonsense...so I am not surprised about the lack of sense in your post again.
    What sort of bull**** is that?
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Completely agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Not as much Bull **** in it as in your post.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Not as much Bull **** in it as in your post.
    Losing the plot?
    RIP Craigos

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Lost it looks like.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    Because, the Sri Lankans wanted to use that as an excuse for their loss...

Because Sri Lanka would've won had he batted in good light...he would've scored a century in 20 balls and we would've won with a couple of overs to spare... we just wanted to use it as our main excuse at the post Match Press Conference...so SL PR machine and spin doctor told SL Team not to let Murali bat.... hope its clear now...
    Don't patronise...

Of course I can see the logic behind it but something about it definately bugs me. Should never surrender until the dying stages and if you do you aren't as glorious in defeat as you could other be.
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

Errm...Because I dislike their inability to accept defeat and be magnanimous...I am a Saffie Hater....where are you from .... Don't get into a victim mentality and think the whole world hates you ...or that people are there with Vendetta against you... Just highlighting the negative nature of your Team and their PR that has bee pretty poor after losses...ok

And by the way your posts are usually a lot of nonsense...so I am not surprised about the lack of sense in your post again.
    Anybody know where I put my copy of Jagged Little Pill?

Oh never mind - it looks like JASON has borrowed it.

Thanks guys. I won't even dignify it with a come-back.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Give it a rest Richard, you do it all the time... using **** and saying ffs. Clean up your own back yard first, mate. People will get off your back a bit if you stop preaching to people about trivial and pedantic things like this.

Please don't take it the wrong way either...it's meant to be constructive criticism and I'm not just having a crack at you.
    No, I don't - typing stars is not avoiding the filter. Nor is saying FFS or WTF - otherwise the hundreds of posters that do both ATT would be pulled-up.

It's not trivial - avoiding the filter WILL get you into trouble, and I'm advising people that it's not the best course of action. If a mod spots it, you'll start getting warnings before long.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Pinball Champion!
    I'm actually inclined to agree with Jason on this one, a lot of bull**** regularly gets spouted by Arthur and Smith, it makes me ashamed to be an SA fan sometimes.. Okay they come up with the odd pretty comment in a press conference, but they come across as being a very arrogant pair...

However, if Jason is still carrying his grudge against SA since pulling out of that series in Colombo, then shame on him.. The outcry against that was totally uncalled for, from guys living sheltered lives posting on an internet forum, I don't think they had much right to call us cowards for leaving a city during a bomb blast without having a clue what the situation was like on the ground..

Jason's obviously done his cause no good with the comments following his original post, but I think he makes a valid point.. My personal dislike of his team has rapidly faded following the exemplary way in which they conducted their cricket during this whole tournament.. Makes me forget about guys like Arjuna Ranatunga..
    Last edited by Langeveldt; 03-05-2007 at 01:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    No, I don't - typing stars is not avoiding the filter. Nor is saying FFS or WTF - otherwise the hundreds of posters that do both ATT would be pulled-up.

It's not trivial - avoiding the filter WILL get you into trouble, and I'm advising people that it's not the best course of action. If a mod spots it, you'll start getting warnings before long.
    Can't see the difference myself

I have no problem with people not liking our team or our captain. Or even that people think Smith is arrogant. As they don't know him personally, that doesn't really mean much. What I do object to, are statements like these.
    In this World Cup I have only come across one Team that has been a sore loser or kept finding excuses time after time everytime they lost.

Whenever they lost they never acknowledged that they lost to the better Team.

They never admitted or acknowledged they were beaten by the better Team on the day.

To me it seems a lack of magnanimity in admitting they lost to the better team...is part of this SA Team leadership.
    Not true. THEY didn't KEEP finding excuses. There were times when things went against them and those things were mentioned. Not just by the team but by the commentators, the press, etc.
    They DID admit and acknowledge they were beaten by the better team on the day. After every match we lost Smith congratulated the winning team publicly and said they batted and/or bowled better.
    Smith also publicly apologised to the Saffie fans for their poor showing at the World Cup. I don't know if any other team captain did that. In my book that shows humility not arrogance.
    I don't know what people expect a team to say at a press conference when asked stupid questions like, " Are you confidant you can win?"
    "No, we're scared to death and we know we're going to lose.?"
    Any other answer, it seems, is seen as arrogance.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    Can't see the difference myself
    I can sort of forgive you for failing to see it in the FFS and WTF (which I'll come to) but in the stars that just baffles logic. The whole point of the filter is that it is the stars. Avoiding the filter is doing stuff to stop certain words being starred-out. No-one knows who presses 4 stars and who types a word and who lets the filter do its work - the result is the same.

Now, avoiding typing filtered words ITFP is different - and if you suggest people shouldn't be typing them, well, fair enough. But fortunately no-one does suggest that (though there was a time, not so long ago, when they did) and it's not against forum rules to have posts including a line of stars... though if people do such things very regularly it does, of course, cast aspersions on said person's character.

As regards abbreviations, the whole point of the filter is that people who don't want to see filtered words (or a don't want to see a three-letter-and-one-star set, or a slight deliberate misspelling, that makes it perfectly clear what you mean) don't see them. Nor do they see them in an abbreviation, and the chances are they won't understand what said abbreviation means, either, so no offence is caused.

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Looks like the real Jason has returned. Now I await the return of his usage of emoticons as punctuation.
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information