Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: 2011?? Your team

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    And why not?

Without watching him, you can make absolutely no judgement on his ability.
    You can. If you're a rubbish bowler at the domestic level - which Khan mostly is - your chances of international success are close to zero.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

State Vice-Captain Spitfires_Fan's Avatar
    You don't need to watch Amjad Khan to realise he doesn't have a hope in hell of succeeding at the Test or ODI level.

That's one of the most ridiculous comments I've read on these boards. I realise that my name and allegiance will totally strip me of any credibility on this subject, but for what it's worth, Khan has the potential to do very well at international level. I'd certainly pick him above Mahmood and Plunkett right now if he was fit, which unfortunately he isn't.

I can't see how he's any different to Mahmood and Plunkett, TBH - he's so, so typical of the wayward seamer who will - sometimes - take a few wickets.

And I can't see that ever changing.

And I can't see that ever changing.
    But you haven't watched him. So how could you even know that?

He is pretty expensive, but I'd say he's quicker and more accurate than Plunkers and Mahmood, and he's probably a better batsman as well to boot.

Being a bit more accurate than Plunkett and Mahmood is hardly a praiseworthy trait...

I have actually watched him once or twice, and he's got a good action, but I don't need to watch every game he plays to realise that, currently, he does not possess the accuracy for international cricket. And I can't see that changing given how long he's been playing for.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    You can. If you're a rubbish bowler at the domestic level - which Khan mostly is - your chances of international success are close to zero.
    And how exactly do you know how rubbish someone is without watching him then?

I'm guessing you've seen little or none of Onions as well...
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

And notice I haven't actually said Onions will be perennially rubbish, although such a thing is certainly perfectly possible.

Amjad Khan, on the other hand, cannot be much good if he cannot even average under 30 at the English domestic level... except for a single season where he managed the wondrous average of 28.

Not to mention the economy-rate of all-but 4-an-over over the career.

I actually think Khan's record is pretty decent, when you take into account such factors as the fact that he's only ever played 1st Division FC cricket, he bowls for half the season on Kentish pitches under Kentish sunshine (doesn't often get much assistance from dodgy wickets/weather and he opens the bowling with the license to attack, with steadier, more defensive bowlers such as Saggers and Cook supporting him from the other end.

It's a moot point at the moment really, seeing as he's out for 9 months and quite possibly won't be the same player when he comes back. Reminds me a bit of Fulton and his eye injury a few years ago. Put Dean Headley in with them and you have a growing group of Kent cricketers that have had their prospects of an England career either starting or flourishing thwarted by injury over the past few years.

Then of course you have the likes of Igglesden, McCague and our very own GoJo who just haven't been quite good enough to cut it.

Min Patel and Ealham as well actually, come to think of it.

The list goes on and on.

I simply cannot believe Khan was ever or would ever have been close to Headley's class.

Isn't ECB dreaming about global-domination by 2011, but looking at their bench-strength atm thats look pretty tough.

ECB is always setting a certain date for Global supremacy, and it's a very bad idea IMO. If you become something at a certain point, you will always cease to become so at a later one.

You should simply aim to be the best you can in every way, at every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I simply cannot believe Khan was ever or would ever have been close to Headley's class.
    You're putting words in my mouth, or whatever the forum equivalent of that is.

Khan has been mentioned with regard to playing for England, but before he had a chance to get there, he sustained a serious injury. Headley played for England and did very well, but his career was cut short by injury, thus preventing him from flourishing and becoming one of the best seamers England have had in recent years.

The point I was making was that Kent players, for one reason or another, don't seem to have had much luck in international circles.

OK, misunderstood you.

I still think, though, that Khan would not have got too far had he played for England, and unless he'd been better than he has to date would not have made it at all.

I still think that he can get into the side and do well, but much depends on how he recovers from this injury. Hopefully he won't be left with any lasting handicap, unlike Fulton with his eye injury.

I guess at the end of the day only time will tell - maybe we'll have this discussion again in 10 years and see who's right!

Adil Rashid is being projected as the next big thing after Warne (in english country circuit), now i haven't seen this guy bowl so can anyone tell me how good he really is and more importantly is he good enough to be compared to Warne.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread Information