• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2011?? Your team

Flem274*

123/5
Bit of a random NZ team, but:

Todd Astle
Jesse Ryder
Ross Taylor
Peter Fulton
Kane Williamson
Jacob Oram
Brendon McCullum
James Franklin
Daniel Vettori
Jeetan Patel
Corey Anderson

Very youthful - too youthful in fact, but food for thought.
Isn't Anderson 16? as the future of our fast bowling I think the selectors will be very careful with him. I would hope so anyway. Same goes for Williamson. I hope Jesse Ryder comes good though, I believe someone on here said he had more talent than Taylor but had a poor attitude. I don't know much about Todd Astle though, is he a relative of Nathan by any chance?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'll take a stab-in-the-dark at England...

Trescothick
Benning
Afzaal
Pietersen
?
Flintoff
Read (I'd go for Pothas if he was just a couple of years younger)
Mascarenhas
Tom Smith
?
?
(I'm not fool enough to think there's the slightest chance of RMJ being picked)

But it's every bit, and I mean every bit, as likely we'll be fartaessing around for the next 4 years with the Onionses, Amjad Khans and whoever the next Mahmoods are (those probably right now playing for Burnley and Uppingham Seconds). The whole English attitude to one-day cricket needs to change (and not just from the selectors), and until it does we won't get anywhere. We need batsmen who are capable of scoring runs, not just playing shots (and not just to pick those who are good in Test-cricket), and seam-bowlers who can bowl line and length, not be perceived wrongly as "wicket-takers".

Flem274*

123/5
I'll take a stab-in-the-dark at England...

Trescothick
Benning
Afzaal
Pietersen
?
Flintoff
Read (I'd go for Pothas if he was just a couple of years younger)
Mascarenhas
Tom Smith
?
?
(I'm not fool enough to think there's the slightest chance of RMJ being picked)

But it's every bit, and I mean every bit, as likely we'll be fartaessing around for the next 4 years with the Onionses, Amjad Khans and whoever the next Mahmoods are (those probably right now playing for Burnley and Uppingham Seconds). The whole English attitude to one-day cricket needs to change (and not just from the selectors), and until it does we won't get anywhere. We need batsmen who are capable of scoring runs, not just playing shots (and not just to pick those who are good in Test-cricket), and seam-bowlers who can bowl line and length, not be perceived wrongly as "wicket-takers".
Have you ever thought of applying for the top job on the ECB?:)

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Who knows what the Pakistan team will look like...This is my X1 for 2011.:)

Salman Butt
Yasir Hameed
Younis Khan
Mohammed Yousuf
Shoaib Malik
Shahid Afridi
Kamran Akmal
Yasir Arafat
Umar Gul
Rao Iftikar
Mohammed Asif

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yasir Arafat, Shahid Afridi and Rao Iftikhar Anjum... :wallbash:

Not to mention Younis Khan in the side and batting ahead of the skippa'.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My guess would be that those 3 useless entities would have finally run-out of time by then.

Actually, TBF Arafat's not certified useless yet, but I can't see him amounting to much really.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Ian Bell
Andy Strauss
Ali Cook
Kevin Pieterson
Paul Collingwood (C)
Andy Flintoff
Matt Prior/Steven Davies
Liam Plunkett
Stuart Broad
Simon Jones
Monty Panesar
That top three looks depressingly like our flops from this year. Bell and Cook might turn into one day batsmen in the next four years but not Strauss IMO - Benning should get a chance soon and hopefully can turn into the new Tresco we need (especially as the curent one's problems might come back). I have doubts about Freddie - will he be bowling at full pace by 2011 or will he be a batsman who bowls a bit like Collingwood is now? And if that is what he is, is he good enough to be just a batsman at ODI level? This WC suggests not - so I'd have Bopara in there instead. And for the sub-con we'll probably need two spinners so I'd have Rashid (hopefully he'll prove himself by then) as a wrist spinner who bats, if not him then Dalrymple - instead of Plunkett. Mind you England's team is a nightmare to predict - in the last two WCs we've come up with players (Anderson, Nixon) who hardly anybody would have put in their WC XIs four MONTHS before the event, never mind four YEARS!!!:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly - there's usually a wildcard in there somewhere, you can add Hussain-the-opener into the mix in the 1999 line-up (he'd never opened at any serious level before then).

I honestly am not sure about Rashid, there's some hope for him as a possible Test prospect... hopefully not for another 2 years at least... but in ODIs? Can't see him being a Warne\Murali, TBH.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Yeah pretty hard to look so far ahead. I don't really know enough about the younger talent around in Indian domestic cricket to make a team...I'll leave it to adharcric.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
India doesn't need younger talent :-

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Irfan Pathan
4. Sourav Ganguly
5. Rahul Dravid
6. MS Dhoni
7. Yuvraj Singh
8. Zaheer Khan
9. Ajit Agarkar
10. Munaf Patel
11. Harbhajan Singh.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Irfan Pathan
4. Sourav Ganguly
5. Rahul Dravid
6. MS Dhoni
7. Yuvraj Singh
8. Zaheer Khan
9. Ajit Agarkar
10. Munaf Patel
11. Harbhajan Singh.
:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

1. Sachin Tendulkar
2. Virender Sehwag
3. Irfan Pathan
4. Sourav Ganguly
5. Rahul Dravid
6. MS Dhoni
7. Yuvraj Singh
8. Zaheer Khan
9. Ajit Agarkar
10. Munaf Patel
11. Harbhajan Singh.
Good as they currently are... (Sehwag excepted - what on Earth raves you to put him ahead of Ganguly as an opener, never mind Irfan Khan as a three? :blink: )
Tendulkar (38)
Ganguly (38)
Dravid (38)
That's how old they'll be next Cup. Are they really all going to be ODI-class players still? Let's hope so, but I doubt it.

Amazed that Yuvraj Singh is still only 25 though. :blink::eek: And Dhoni the same age, too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
More of your posts than not seem to contain a rolleyes. It's borderline offensive, TBH.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
How can a "roll eyes" be considered offensive?.I was just pointing out that I felt Sanz was being sarcastic.I didn't mean to offend you.

Langeveldt

Soutie
You might as well stick pins in a wall IMO, but oh well... each to his own. :)
So why the hell do you keep replying?? Can you suggest a thread one could create that would get the dickinson seal of approval?

RSA
1. GC Smith
2. AB de Villiers
3. JH Kallis
4. JP Duminy
5. VB van Jaarsveld
6. D Jacobs
7. M van Wyk
8. A Thomas
9. P Harris
10. D Steyn
11. M Ntini