Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jayawardene - a class act

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar

Jayawardene - a class act

I thought that the way Jayawardene carried himself and represented his country in yesterday's final was first class.

He showed great leadership and common sense in the way he dealt with the fiasco at the end of the game by quickly reaching an agreement with Ponting about the final three overs to avoid even more gloss being taken off the Aussies win by having to come back the next day.

Inadvertantly, he also saved the ICC a lot of face. Imagine if he and Ponting accepted that they had to come back next day, then an hour later the officials eventually get it right and tell an empty ground that the WC had already been won.

Well done to him - a class act as a player and a leader SL can be proud of. Pity the administrators couldn't have shown the common sense he did.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"
    "When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

Yeah agreed, the whole side is a class act really.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Even though I felt like ripping his guts out after that semi he is definitely a good cricketer and cricket needs more skippers like him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Yes, Mahela is def. a class act. Seems comfortable in his skin, again!. He is an attacking captain, but lost some of his gut feel instincts whilst he had a temp loss of form. Glad that he is back to his best. Sanga, Moody and Mahela formed a very close clique as the brains trust for the past year in SL cricket. They have done well.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Could potentially be the best captain we have ever had. Still got some improvement to get ahead of Ranatunga, but his that far behind IMO.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Normally I don't respond to threads like these but upon re-viewing Jayawardene's courtesy at the end of the final, the thread is very much merrited. He was a brilliant sportsman. In fact all the Lankans were magnificent in defeat, with Jayasuria taking some time out to talk to McGrath and congratulate him. I can't see many captains being as graceful as Jayawardene.

I was over at Muralifans.com and the headlines read something like "Australia and duck-lewis win world cup." You'd hear nothing like that from Jayasuria. It would be ever so easy to blame the darkness on their loss, I probably would have had a whinge if I were captain. He didn't, instead he told it like it was, saying because of Gilchrist they were constantly chasing and it eventually caught up with him.

Incredible to see such sportsmanship. Watching it makes you wish Sri Lanka won the world cup.

I see Tom Moody is being less gracious, though you'd have a hard time calling him a bad sport. It's true that when Jayasuria and Sangakara got going, Sri lanka were closing in on the gap. But once Jayasuria went out that was it. And the truth is, while they were chasing the gap, they'd be chasing the whole time until the end since Gilchrist put it that far away from them.
    Last edited by Francis; 30-04-2007 at 08:38 AM.

Pinball Champion!
    Yeah Jayawardene seems like a top act.. I've never taken much of an interest in him, but the fact that he doesn't court the headlines all the time is probably a very good thing.. Sounds like a top guy..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Class, Pure Class, and Top Bloke!
    Proud to be a Colt!

M Hopgood: Followed up his debut century with a half century. Most likely the most impressive begin to a List A career by a Colts batsman in their history. In fantastic form at the moment, and will look to transfer that form into the first class arena. 8/10

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    I wanted to make a thread like this. Bloke is all class, same with most the Sri Lankans.
    ★★★★★

It's amazing how much better he is than Ranatunga. Ranatungas side was one of the worst side of sportsmen in living history, and he trained them to be that way. Jayawardene and his magnificent monobrow however are magnificent sportsmen. A class act all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim View Post
    Ranatungas side was one of the worst side of sportsmen in living history, and he trained them to be that way.
    Really ? I can understand it about Ranatunga, but others I am not so sure, considering Vaas, Murali, Sanath, Jayawardhne all were part of Ranatunga led squad at some point in their careers.

Banned
    This is the reason I wanted the Lankans to win it, they are just nicer people.

They aren't bullies who do things like clearly yell "F OFF" as Michael Clarke did after bowling his second victim, for instance.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    It's amazing how much better he is than Ranatunga. Ranatungas side was one of the worst side of sportsmen in living history, and he trained them to be that way.
    Pure nonsense.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

School Boy/Girl Captain
    It's amazing how much better he is than Ranatunga. Ranatungas side was one of the worst side of sportsmen in living history, and he trained them to be that way. Jayawardene and his magnificent monobrow however are magnificent sportsmen. A class act all the way.
    When Jayawardena's Brother died of Cancer Jayawardena gave up playing cricket ..... saying that he's Brother was a better cricketer than him. It was Ranatunga who Coaxed him to come to his club and practice and showed him consolation. Ranatunga was one of the best captains of the subcontinant ..... after Imran.

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by legglancer12 View Post
    When Jayawardena's Brother died of Cancer Jayawardena gave up playing cricket ..... saying that he's Brother was a better cricketer than him. It was Ranatunga who Coaxed him to come to his club and practice and showed him consolation. Ranatunga was one of the best captains of the subcontinant ..... after Imran.
    Ranatunga's skill and reputation as a captain is directly proportional to how many Aussies still hate him - many years after he retired. Whilst I do not agree with everything he did, Arjuna did stand up to the Aussies and gave it back....and won SL a world cup, against the odds.

Mahela is tactically almost as good as Arjuna, but has probably got better soft skills required from a modern captain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information