Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40

Thread: Jayawardene - a class act

  1. #16
    Cricketer Of The Year JASON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    At Work
    Posts
    7,558
    Quote Originally Posted by shehanwije View Post
    Ranatunga's skill and reputation as a captain is directly proportional to how many Aussies still hate him - many years after he retired. Whilst I do not agree with everything he did, Arjuna did stand up to the Aussies and gave it back....and won SL a world cup, against the odds.

    Mahela is tactically almost as good as Arjuna, but has probably got better soft skills required from a modern captain.
    I agree .Arjuna is Savvy , tactically brillant Captain, who made the others listen to him and as a result - regardless of whether people liked him or not they were scared to do anything that would upset him... Ponting is in a similar mould...He snaps at Umpires like Arjuna, he snaps at opposition Captains, snaps at opposition players ...Others may not like him but they are scared to upset him or do anything that would put his Team in a wrong footing...

    Take for example the Final, if Ranatunga was SL Captain...he would've made sure the game started an hour earlier than it did...he would've snapped at Umpires and referee regarding the number of overs they cramped in despite the time lost and he would've ensured his Team did not suffer adversely during Rain during play etc...

    So IMHO, Mahela is a nice guy, very polite and all that...But he is not a savvy or shrewd Captain in the Ranatunga /Ponting Mould... And I am starting to think someone like Sangakkara has that ability more than Mahela...as much as I like Mahela , after the Final, I think SL needs a loud , sharp and Savvy Captain , not a friendly polite , yes man.

  2. #17
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by shehanwije View Post
    Ranatunga's skill and reputation as a captain is directly proportional to how many Aussies still hate him - many years after he retired. Whilst I do not agree with everything he did, Arjuna did stand up to the Aussies and gave it back....and won SL a world cup, against the odds.
    Exactly.

    And it's this that grates with *certain* Aussies. Not anywhere near all, of course.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  3. #18
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Yeah, Mahela's a class act, that's for sure. The sportsmanship from the Lankans was fantastic all day. You hate to imagine the shambles that would have occurred had it been another team in the situation that SL were put into.

    Power to him - I hope the guys do well. Really looking forward to them touring Australia later this year. SL are pretty much my favourite "2nd team" after their performance at this world cup.

    And its not just Jayawardena either. I mentioned it in the "Final" thread, but Sangakkara impressed me by immediately indicating he did NOT take that catch - not quite the same as Gilchrist walking in the 2003 WC, but an action in the same vein and his actions, without any hesitation on his part, showed he's a good sport.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  4. #19
    U19 Captain Trigger_Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Tower of Omens
    Posts
    613

    .....

    Just how this SL team respect the oppositions is enough for me to have tremendous respect for them. Soft-spoken, yet on the field, they're all action and no rubbish.
    While more captains around the wolrd are becoming the "all-talk-and-rubbish-play" kind, it is Mahela alone who I see different from the rest.

    Let me bar Ponting or any Aussie captain from the "all-talk-andrubbish-play" kind becuase I think the Aussies are the only team who deserve to talk as much as they do, because they talk, and they prove their worth!

    That being said, I couldn't be any happier to have Sri Lanka be the other finalist instead of any other team.....thoroughly professional and deservant of the spot !

    IMO, this is how the ICC team rankings should stand for 2007:

    1. Australia
    2. Sri Lanka <-----The position they should hold!
    3. New Zealand
    4. South Africa
    5. West Indies
    6. England
    7. Pakistan
    8. Bangladesh
    9. India
    10. Ireland
    11. Kenya
    12. Zimbabwe
    Prowling tiger crouching low
    Ready to unleash its lethal blow
    Its eyes on the mighty prey
    Today the hunter will become the hunted!!!!!


  5. #20
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger_Tiger View Post

    Let me bar Ponting or any Aussie captain from the "all-talk-andrubbish-play" kind becuase I think the Aussies are the only team who deserve to talk as much as they do, because they talk, and they prove their worth!
    Except when they lose! Who can forget the now immortalised quote from Mcgrath ahead of the '05 Ashes. "I normally would say 3-0, but bcos its going to be a dry summer, I will call it 5-0 to us" What a plonker!

    Generally, its better to focus on the game and leave the trash talk until afterwards. Teams are too professional these days to let it get to them...except, of course, if you are Kallis.

  6. #21
    U19 Captain Trigger_Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Tower of Omens
    Posts
    613

    .....

    Quote Originally Posted by shehanwije View Post
    Except when they lose! Who can forget the now immortalised quote from Mcgrath ahead of the '05 Ashes. "I normally would say 3-0, but bcos its going to be a dry summer, I will call it 5-0 to us" What a plonker!

    Generally, its better to focus on the game and leave the trash talk until afterwards. Teams are too professional these days to let it get to them...except, of course, if you are Kallis.
    No denying that, but the Aussies are probably the only ones who DO have the right to speak.....since 80% of the time, their talk is not trash !!!!!

  7. #22
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by shehanwije View Post
    Except when they lose! Who can forget the now immortalised quote from Mcgrath ahead of the '05 Ashes. "I normally would say 3-0, but bcos its going to be a dry summer, I will call it 5-0 to us" What a plonker!

    Generally, its better to focus on the game and leave the trash talk until afterwards. Teams are too professional these days to let it get to them...except, of course, if you are Kallis.
    This is what annoys me more than anything. What did you expect him to say ffs? That they expected to lose a Test? Has there ever been an Australian in recent times especially with this side that ever expected to lose a Test going in. No. Therefore he was just being honest about it. and if your problem is that people are honest about things, then the issue isn't with them, it's with you. But I suppose you're trolling again and all.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  8. #23
    Global Moderator vic_orthdox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    24,920
    Quote Originally Posted by shehanwije
    Generally, its better to focus on the game and leave the trash talk until afterwards. Teams are too professional these days to let it get to them...except, of course, if you are Kallis.
    I'd prefer that stuff than sticking the boot in after a series victory, TBH.

  9. #24
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    I'd prefer that stuff than sticking the boot in after a series victory, TBH.
    Agreed.

  10. #25
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    This is what annoys me more than anything. What did you expect him to say ffs? That they expected to lose a Test? Has there ever been an Australian in recent times especially with this side that ever expected to lose a Test going in. No. Therefore he was just being honest about it. and if your problem is that people are honest about things, then the issue isn't with them, it's with you. But I suppose you're trolling again and all.
    Its the manner in which you say something. No really expect any to say they are going to lose a Test or a series. But to say the only chance had in the series was whether it rained. Your basically on a hiding to nothing if you lose a singe game. Also relistically most Australian sides recently have lost atleast one match.

    But really these days when Australians or any other team come out with those comments no cares, cus they heard it all before, even if they end becoming accurate.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

    Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

    RIP WCC and CW Cricket

    Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

  11. #26
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Its the manner in which you say something. No really expect any to say they are going to lose a Test or a series. But to say the only chance had in the series was whether it rained. Your basically on a hiding to nothing if you lose a singe game. Also relistically most Australian sides recently have lost atleast one match.

    But really these days when Australians or any other team come out with those comments no cares, cus they heard it all before, even if they end becoming accurate.
    That's the thing, some people here would have the players acting diplomatic all the time and any show of confidence or arrogance or anything not representing humility is immediately scoffed at and ridiculed. People are so caught up with this rubbish that it is refreshing to see Glenn McGrath bucking the trend and actually saying what he thinks. The honesty and frankness is refreshing and it is one of things I will miss most about when he retires.

    The comments I don't care about and don't take notice of are the pre-planned answers you see all the time now that would make every politician proud.

  12. #27
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Its the manner in which you say something. No really expect any to say they are going to lose a Test or a series. But to say the only chance had in the series was whether it rained. Your basically on a hiding to nothing if you lose a singe game. Also relistically most Australian sides recently have lost atleast one match.

    But really these days when Australians or any other team come out with those comments no cares, cus they heard it all before, even if they end becoming accurate.
    Agreed.

    Almost all international captains are asked the same sorts of questions, which are generally played with a straight bat...but Ponting feels that its his right to make blunt assesments of other teams and their tactics. This is fine whilst Aus is winning, but there will be a time (eg: Ashes '05, or even after the CB/NZ losess 2 months ago) where it backfires badly.

    No one is asking the Aussies to predict a 2-1 series win...just keep a bit quiet, act a bit more modestly and get on with playing the quality cricket it does. Dont know how to do it? just go ask the Aus swim team, or the Wallabies or the Aus golfers etc etc. on how to act modestly, particular on how to win & lose with dignity. That is the true Australian way.

  13. #28
    Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Murali CG
    Posts
    16,305
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    That's the thing, some people here would have the players acting diplomatic all the time and any show of confidence or arrogance or anything not representing humility is immediately scoffed at and ridiculed. People are so caught up with this rubbish that it is refreshing to see Glenn McGrath bucking the trend and actually saying what he thinks. The honesty and frankness is refreshing and it is one of things I will miss most about when he retires.

    The comments I don't care about and don't take notice of are the pre-planned answers you see all the time now that would make every politician proud.
    There is nothing wrong with showing confidence and saying what you honestly believe. The issue people have when the comments show no respect for the other teams, or indiviual players. Cricket always been a gentlemens' game, but all this continual bashing in media is turning the game in something you would expect from Basketball, pre match boxing media conference. Personally i think they can keep all that crap in those sports.

    Got no problem with people being honest, as long you show respect of the opposition. All this pre match/pre series is all starting to get a bit too over to top and not really in the spirit of the game IMO. Im sure a lot of people like it but i just think acting like a bunch of tools. Also i don't think Australia are the only team that does it either.

  14. #29
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The great state of New South Wales
    Posts
    42,679
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    That's the thing, some people here would have the players acting diplomatic all the time and any show of confidence or arrogance or anything not representing humility is immediately scoffed at and ridiculed. People are so caught up with this rubbish that it is refreshing to see Glenn McGrath bucking the trend and actually saying what he thinks. The honesty and frankness is refreshing and it is one of things I will miss most about when he retires.

    The comments I don't care about and don't take notice of are the pre-planned answers you see all the time now that would make every politician proud.
    Yep. There's little point in even having player/captain interviews if you're just going to get the same stock-standard responses. What gets me is that it's the same media that portrays people like Ponting and McGrath as arrogant as the one that asks them the questions they answer. What is actually expected of them? To lie?

    And before someone accuses me of bias or what have you, I said the same thing when Australians accused Graeme Smith and the touring South Africans of arrogance. Smith is confident in his team, backs his players and speaks truthfully when asked questions about the opposition. Have to respect that.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 01-05-2007 at 01:48 AM.
    ~ Cribbage

  15. #30
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    sydney
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Also i don't think Australia are the only team that does it either.
    Yes, RSA is as bad...when playing Aus. Somehow, RSA quieten down a bit when playing most other teams.

    I personally would like to see a shift away from this pre-match crap in cricket.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 22-10-2006, 01:13 AM
  2. First Class 2nd XI - Round 6 - Division 2
    By Goughy in forum WCC - Team Sheets
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 27-08-2006, 09:00 AM
  3. WCC 2nd XI First Class Round 1 - Division 3
    By Blewy in forum WCC - Team Sheets
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-06-2006, 04:46 AM
  4. Division 3 First Class Round 2
    By Blewy in forum WCC - Team Sheets
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 23-03-2006, 04:06 AM
  5. First Class Round 1 Match Reports
    By Blewy in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-03-2006, 07:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •