• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

I am happy my team didn't reach the finals.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
No Disrespect to SriLanka but I am just happy that we didn't do too well in this WC. For last 3 final in a row Australia have just humiliated the opposition. Last world cup I helplessly sat through the massacre Ricky Ponting and his team inflicted on India and this time it is not different and I am glad that it is some other team.

Man this is an all time best team, I have never seen such dominance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It does get annoying when teams bulldozer through 2 consecutive World Cups, especially when the team is a fair amount changed (Gilchrist, Ponting, McGrath, Hayden and Hogg, plus Symonds, remain from 2003).

Comparing these last 2 to 1999, though, is very much flawed.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I rather have my team humiliated by Australia than Bangladesh.
Well said indeed.

And further, I would rather have my team try and compete with the very best (even if it means a loss) than keep gloating over hollow victories easily earned over poorer sides.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well that's just silly then Sanz.

If I was a Sri Lankan cricket fan, I would be disappointed for obvious reasons but proud of the way my cricket team played, both throughout the tournament and even on Saturday.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's ironic, really, how similar 2007 has ended-up being to 2003, with Lanka playing the role India did last time.

Swervy

International Captain
It's ironic, really, how similar 2007 has ended-up being to 2003, with Lanka playing the role India did last time.

well really I thought Sri lanka put up a much better show than 2003 India did. There was a time at about 100 for 1 by SL where I was starting to get a bit worried.

In the last WC final, I wasnt worried from the minute the first ball left Zaheer Khan's (?) hand

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
well really I thought Sri lanka put up a much better show than 2003 India did. There was a time at about 100 for 1 by SL where I was starting to get a bit worried.

In the last WC final, I wasnt worried from the minute the first ball left Zaheer Khan's (?) hand
That's only because it was a 38 overs game, had it been a 50 over game, Australia would have piled up more runs than the last final.

I dont think SriLanka put up any better fight at all, due to the shortened match they had some chance. In any case I was sure of Aussie win before a Single ball was bowled in the game by either side. And If there was any doubt, Gilly cleared it first 15 overs.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well said indeed.

And further, I would rather have my team try and compete with the very best (even if it means a loss) than keep gloating over hollow victories easily earned over poorer sides.
That's the key word SJS. I would have been proud too if my team had tried to compete with Australia. They simply surrendered to the might of Australia without even trying to compete. And I am the last person to gloat over our hollow wins.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Well that's just silly then Sanz.

If I was a Sri Lankan cricket fan, I would be disappointed for obvious reasons but proud of the way my cricket team played, both throughout the tournament and even on Saturday.
I know it sounds silly, but the way Australia have humiliated the opposition in last 3 WC finals, I dont think I want my team to be there and get humiliated again.

That said I have nothing but respect for SriLankan performance through out the tournament, it is not their fault they met a far superior team.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
For last 3 final in a row Australia have just humiliated the opposition.
I don't think Australia humiliated Lanka at all. They were competing in the second inning before the ominous clouds came back again.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Australia humiliated Lanka at all. They were competing in the second inning before the ominous clouds came back again.
there was no humiliation involved, but they were comprehensively beaten whatever hint of competition there was at some point...that said, i am not agreeing with sanz at all, it's much, much, much better to lose to a great team in a final than to go out to a minnow side in the first round...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
there was no humiliation involved, but they were comprehensively beaten whatever hint of competition there was at some point...that said, i am not agreeing with sanz at all, it's much, much, much better to lose to a great team in a final than to go out to a minnow side in the first round...
The point I was making was there was no humiliation. They competed till the rain clouds came up in the sky very late in the match. It was 12 overs or so to go. How comprehensively they were beaten is irrelevent to me because when chasing such a large target, with 12 or so overs to go, you can fall flat when trying to win a game even in a normal circumstance.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
On the larger point you are making Sanz, I disagree. I would rather have my team reach the latter rounds (Semis/finals) and be out courtesy a much better team than not go into the latter rounds at all but I can understand if you or some one else would prefer the opposite.

Last edited: