Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I am happy my team didn't reach the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Although getting to the final is obviously better then getting out in the first round, as a fan it's not so close cut that you'd take a (grand)final loss everytime. They hurt alot and you never, ever forget them. I'd rather come 3rd or 4th, maybe. Those you forget and move on, but a final or a Grand Final you don't. You think about what would have been, how close you got before failing, especailly if you don't win for years to come or this is the last opporunity with this group of players. The players might feel the same way as well.

But re: the discussion here, I don't think Australia humilated Sri Lanka at all. Besides Gilchrist, none of the Australian batsmen were amazing and the Sri Lankan reply was excellent before the break. I was really worried there for a time and it's the first time I've been for the whole tournament (bar Smith and AB firing in the Super 8s). Not humiliated by any means.
    As a Geelong fan, I understand what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    As a Geelong fan, I understand what you're saying.
    I had you in mind when I made the post tbh.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Totally different matter, because in AFL you get a crack every year. In Cricket, its once every 4 years, with often some players only ever playing one or two World Cups. Simply seeing your favourite team on (at least in theory) the biggest stage in cricket is fulfilling for me. Clearly if India had won it in 2003 I would have been extremely happy, but the fact that they were being criticised from all corners after their loss to Aus in the early stages, fought back and demolished all other teams bar Australia throughout the tournament is something I still look back on with fondness, obviously specifically as an Indian fan.

Different to say seeing Geelong lose all the 89, 92, 94 and 95 GFs in the space of 5-6 years. At least IMO.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Jono, not disagreeing with any of that(except that we didn't really demolish any team, we beat them sure)

Anyways, would you have felt same fondness, if we had made to the finals this time and meet the same result ?

You don't think we demolished SL (183 run win), NZ (7 wicket win) and to an extent England (conditions favouring India in that match, but still an 82 run win)? Even Pakistan was a 6 wicket win chasing 274.

That's half the reason people actually thought India had a chance, the bowling and batting was clicking together. If India had scraped their way to the finals, similarly to how SL did to get to the semis in 2003, then people would have expected the belting Australia gave. Whilst Australia were red hot favourites, people still believed there was a chance for India to upset them because India had looked better than every single other non-Australian team.

Anyway, if India had made the 2007 WC final and played like SL had done, I would have probably been even more disappointed than 2003, but still proud. If they made the final in different circumstances, then maybe I wouldn't be as proud.

The thing about SL is they were gone 18 months ago. People thought they were gone, and I was one of them. They had been demolished by India 6-1, no one knew if Jayasuriya was staying or leaving, it looked as if no youngsters at all were coming through, and on top of that the coach and captaincy was in the air. 12 months later they're a formidable unit taking on NZ in NZ which not many sub-continent teams can do, and then having a fairly successful WC campaign. That's what makes their story great for mine.

Its not simply a matter of "SL made the final, let's be proud", because if I was a Pakistani supporter I would have been probably more pissed than proud following the 99 WC final, because Pakistan were that good a team that they could have beaten Australia had they not put in such an **** performance. India of 2003 and SL of 2007 on the other hand, at least IMO, are great stories of revival. Teams peaking, but just not being good enough to beat the Australian juggernaut.
    Last edited by Jono; 30-04-2007 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    Jono, not disagreeing with any of that(except that we didn't really demolish any team, we beat them sure)

Anyways, would you have felt same fondness, if we had made to the finals this time and meet the same result ?
    It's a good point. It's the consecutive/consistent defeats that tear at the heart.

Good Post Jono, I admit it was a silly post and wrong way of thinking about your team's performance..but I didn't know If I wanted my team to be demolished again like last time. That would have been what 10th Final in a row against Australia ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Its not simply a matter of "SL made the final, let's be proud", because if I was a Pakistani supporter I would have been probably more pissed than proud following the 99 WC final, because Pakistan were that good a team that they could have beaten Australia had they not put in such an **** performance.
    So many bad memories from that game!

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    So many bad memories from that game!
    agree... can't forget that sunday. it was sunday lol i still remember it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information