Cricket Player Manager
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I am happy my team didn't reach the finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Well that's just silly then Sanz.

If I was a Sri Lankan cricket fan, I would be disappointed for obvious reasons but proud of the way my cricket team played, both throughout the tournament and even on Saturday.
    I know it sounds silly, but the way Australia have humiliated the opposition in last 3 WC finals, I dont think I want my team to be there and get humiliated again.

That said I have nothing but respect for SriLankan performance through out the tournament, it is not their fault they met a far superior team.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    For last 3 final in a row Australia have just humiliated the opposition.
    I don't think Australia humiliated Lanka at all. They were competing in the second inning before the ominous clouds came back again.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush View Post
    I don't think Australia humiliated Lanka at all. They were competing in the second inning before the ominous clouds came back again.
    there was no humiliation involved, but they were comprehensively beaten whatever hint of competition there was at some point...that said, i am not agreeing with sanz at all, it's much, much, much better to lose to a great team in a final than to go out to a minnow side in the first round...

Quote Originally Posted by Anil View Post
    there was no humiliation involved, but they were comprehensively beaten whatever hint of competition there was at some point...that said, i am not agreeing with sanz at all, it's much, much, much better to lose to a great team in a final than to go out to a minnow side in the first round...
    The point I was making was there was no humiliation. They competed till the rain clouds came up in the sky very late in the match. It was 12 overs or so to go. How comprehensively they were beaten is irrelevent to me because when chasing such a large target, with 12 or so overs to go, you can fall flat when trying to win a game even in a normal circumstance.
    Last edited by Pratters; 30-04-2007 at 12:28 AM.

On the larger point you are making Sanz, I disagree. I would rather have my team reach the latter rounds (Semis/finals) and be out courtesy a much better team than not go into the latter rounds at all but I can understand if you or some one else would prefer the opposite.
    Last edited by Pratters; 30-04-2007 at 03:35 AM.

i think it is unfair to say that SL played worse than pakistan and india in the past couple of world cup finals. SL fought pretty well but the weather districted them. the only mistake that they did was giving frenando another chance. mahroof could have been there simply instead of frenando.
    when sangakara and jaysuria was playing SL were fighting pretty well but couldn't just keep that momentum going on.

Although getting to the final is obviously better then getting out in the first round, as a fan it's not so close cut that you'd take a (grand)final loss everytime. They hurt alot and you never, ever forget them. I'd rather come 3rd or 4th, maybe. Those you forget and move on, but a final or a Grand Final you don't. You think about what would have been, how close you got before failing, especailly if you don't win for years to come or this is the last opporunity with this group of players. The players might feel the same way as well.

But re: the discussion here, I don't think Australia humilated Sri Lanka at all. Besides Gilchrist, none of the Australian batsmen were amazing and the Sri Lankan reply was excellent before the break. I was really worried there for a time and it's the first time I've been for the whole tournament (bar Smith and AB firing in the Super 8s). Not humiliated by any means.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

I know it sounds silly, but the way Australia have humiliated the opposition in last 3 WC finals, I dont think I want my team to be there and get humiliated again.

That said I have nothing but respect for SriLankan performance through out the tournament, it is not their fault they met a far superior team.
    Finals??? We are lucky we didn't get into the super6s, Ireland would have caned us!!
    Now, thaat would have been embarrassing.
    Member of the AAAS

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    I rather have my team humiliated by Australia than Bangladesh.
    Agreed... I said that our loss to Bangladesh hurt more than losing to a great side like Australia, and got some very funny feedback..

No harm in getting beaten by this Aussie side, but our performance against Bangladesh was disgusting..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Quote Originally Posted by haroon510 View Post
    i think it is unfair to say that SL played worse than pakistan and india in the past couple of world cup finals. SL fought pretty well but the weather districted them. the only mistake that they did was giving frenando another chance. mahroof could have been there simply instead of frenando.
    when sangakara and jaysuria was playing SL were fighting pretty well but couldn't just keep that momentum going on.
    I am not saying that SL played worse than Pakistan, but just that didn't play much better, may be marginally better. Due to the shortened match it appeared that they competed better but realistically they never had a chance.

Had it been a 50 overs match, I have no doubt in my mind that Australia would have scored more than 350.

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Although getting to the final is obviously better then getting out in the first round, as a fan it's not so close cut that you'd take a (grand)final loss everytime. They hurt alot and you never, ever forget them. I'd rather come 3rd or 4th, maybe. Those you forget and move on, but a final or a Grand Final you don't. You think about what would have been, how close you got before failing, especailly if you don't win for years to come or this is the last opporunity with this group of players. The players might feel the same way as well.
    Close to what I was thinking. That's the reason losing teams often go downwards. Pakistan 1999, India 2003 are good examples.

oh bull****.

Sri Lanka were not humilated in the final. I can't understand - maybe you folks saw a different final from the one I did, but until the rain started Sri Lanka were well and truly in the game - about half way through.

Australia always had the upper-hand but it was no where near as cut and dried as '99 or '03.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbinator View Post
    I rather have my team humiliated by Australia than Bangladesh.
    haha well said!
    Proud to be a Colt!

M Hopgood: Followed up his debut century with a half century. Most likely the most impressive begin to a List A career by a Colts batsman in their history. In fantastic form at the moment, and will look to transfer that form into the first class arena. 8/10

Close to what I was thinking. That's the reason losing teams often go downwards. Pakistan 1999, India 2003 are good examples.
    do you not think the fact that all the players in both sides were aging and no-one stepped up to replace them? Pakistan - Akram and Younis et al, India, Ganguly, Dravid, Tendulker all way past their prime.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy1987 View Post
    do you not think the fact that all the players in both sides were aging and no-one stepped up to replace them? Pakistan - Akram and Younis et al, India, Ganguly, Dravid, Tendulker all way past their prime.
    And obviously Mcgrath, Gilchrist, Ponting, Hayden didn't age at all, they were stuck at the same age since 1999. Let's face it, they were among the oldest players in their team and they performed better than most young players in their team.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information