• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any other NZ fans still ****ed off?

Jdz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Whangaparaonoid.

Yeah, think you're getting a bit too overboard about the whole thing. It's part of Cricket, sometimes you win some and sometimes you lose some. Would you be complaining if it was Vettori taking the debatable catch for New Zealand?

:sleep:

Craig

World Traveller
Whangaparaonoid.

Yeah, think you're getting a bit too overboard about the whole thing. It's part of Cricket, sometimes you win some and sometimes you lose some. Would you be complaining if it was Vettori taking the debatable catch for New Zealand?

:sleep:
Of course he wouldn't.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBF, that's not an entirely accurate analogy. Are any Lankans complaining as things are?

I'd like to think that he might have the grace to acknowledge had Vettori taken such a dubious catch, but I can't shake the feeling that he'd be telling us all what the Lankans (and fair-minded neutrals) have been in the case as it is - that he very probably didn't know.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Yes I am still pretty annoyed that Murali claimed that catch, but there were ways it could have been prevented.
Firstly, Oram should not have walked, I don't recall Oram walking before and it was a stupid time to do it. Oram walking could have been down to the edge that Murali has over Oram, as Oram does not play Murali well at all. Oram believed that Murali did take that catch and Murali told him so but Oram should not have taken Murali's word for it.

Fulton should have communicated to Oram whether he thought that Murali had taken the catch, Fulton probably had one of the best views of the catch.

Oram is not a great player of spin and it wasn't guranteed that he was going to go on and make a massive score, he could have been dismissed next ball.

It is all a case of "What Ifs", but what is done is done.
There is no point in continously venting your spleen about it.
Just get over it and move on. Sri Lanka were clearly the better team on the day, they had the edge over us in all facets of the game. They wound McCullum up so much over the Run-Out incident that McCullum played a rash shot.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Are there any other NZ fans still pissed off with Murali claiming that Oram catch....the cheating little bastard. Nothing much has been made of it, but he should be fined or banned for bringing the game into disrepute for trying to (and actually getting away with) that catch, the ****** cheating little scumbag
No.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
There is a way to stop this happening ...

There is a way to stop this happening: serious fines and bans for any player that deliberately claims dropped catches. I don't believe it would have changed the result, but that's not the point.

Anyway, despite the fact that I like SL, I've always thought Murali was a cheat.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Are there any other NZ fans still pissed off with Murali claiming that Oram catch....the cheating little bastard. Nothing much has been made of it, but he should be fined or banned for bringing the game into disrepute for trying to (and actually getting away with) that catch, the ****** cheating little scumbag
I've got no great love for Murali (i've said on numerous occassions that I dont believe that his action is legit) BUT I really dont think anyone can say with any conviction that Murali cheated - it was good enough for the batsman to walk and he was 15 yards away or so.

In any event, it hardly changed the course of the match or the tournament

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Not really, more upset that we were utterly outplayed and outclassed at the business end of the tournament. It certainly wouldn't have made any difference to the result IMO.

Shades of a whinging schoolboy in that comment 8-) Take the loss on the chin like a man concede they were the better side and stop blubbering.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
I've got no great love for Murali (i've said on numerous occassions that I dont believe that his action is legit) BUT I really dont think anyone can say with any conviction that Murali cheated - it was good enough for the batsman to walk and he was 15 yards away or so.

In any event, it hardly changed the course of the match or the tournament
If the ball hits the ground then you must have some uncertainty as to whether you caught it. And batsmen generally expect the bowler to be honest.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
This seems less about whether Murali had an intention to cheat and more about giving vent to the, barely-under-the-skin, hate-Murali sentiments that keep surfacing at the minutest opportunity.

GGG

State Captain
I am with Fiery on this one, the sooner he retires the better. Sri Lanka still deserved to be in the final howerver.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I expected you to disagree given that you seem to have something personal going on
:laugh:

Paranoia getting to you, buddy?

I saw the catch - while it was close, I don't think it was a clear-cut drop as you suggest. But keep working yourself into a lather over this if you want.

Fiery

Banned
:laugh:

Paranoia getting to you, buddy?

I saw the catch - while it was close, I don't think it was a clear-cut drop as you suggest. But keep working yourself into a lather over this if you want.
I'm over it now. Just needed an outlet :)

Dick Motz died last night :(

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, saw that - a real bummer as he was a true tough-as-nails bloke in the mould of Colin Meads.

shehanwije

School Boy/Girl Captain
Even after many replays, the commentators could not conclude either way if the catch was taken or not. Murali, in his post match interview, was absolutely sure that he had taken it...hence why he appealed, and quite rightly so.

This Lankan team plays with a high level of sportsmanship...look at Sanga not appealing after "catching" Gilly in the final....

For a real example of deliberate cheating, have a look at at this clip of Ian Healy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMQUqky18uw