Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Australia - are they simply too good?

First Class Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    That's more-or-less what I meant. People in Vic may care more about their footy team, but I'd guess a fair % still take an interest in cricket & you could probably say the same thing about League fans in NSW. I'd just have thought more people took an interest in cricket across Oz than any of the football codes.
    Cricket does have the more national interest but I think Afl would just edge cricket in terms of how many peole play it a club and junior level...

Also this is Qld and Nsw Victoria I am talking about here, I'm not to sure what its like further west.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple Crown View Post
    At the moment cricket seems to be the only sport that truly unifies Australians however the Socceroos have really shaken things up recently, and they seem to have replaced the Wallabies as the nation's most popular national footy team.

But Aussies love cricket, and I reckon most Aussies can love the cricket AND their favourite footy team, rather than have to choose between them.
    I think football (soccer) has the biggest participation of all sports in Australia.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    I don't disagree with a word of that (except possible the implication that Martyn was a top-of-the-middle-of-the-road player - I'd not be amazed if he'd had no Test career to speak of should he have been born 3 years earlier. That's not a certainty, mind - he could perfectly possibly have done).
    That's my point in a way though. I never really rated Martyn much either and, a lot of the time, I was convinced that there were better players in domestic cricket that should have been in his place. Australia have had - and will continue to have - a stack of Damien Martyns to choose from if need be due to its strong grassroots and domestic structure - and he averaged 46.37. Unless the other countries can improve to a level where a Damien Martyn is not test standard, Australia will always be a very good side.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Australia - are they simply too good?
    Yes

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    That's my point in a way though. I never really rated Martyn much either and, a lot of the time, I was convinced that there were better players in domestic cricket that should have been in his place. Australia have had - and will continue to have - a stack of Damien Martyns to choose from if need be due to its strong grassroots and domestic structure - and he averaged 46.37. Unless the other countries can improve to a level where a Damien Martyn is not test standard, Australia will always be a very good side.
    It's perfectly possible he wouldn't have been in the 1970s, 80s and 90s, though, that was what I was saying.

Of course, had he not played Darren Lehmann would have likely done so.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    There's been a lot of discussion around Australia's performance over the past 10 years and how they are simply so far in front of the nearest competition.

Do you:

a) Want to see them get worse by losing players to retirement, injury, etc
    b) See the competition get better

I'm of the opinion that Australia being as good as they are is good for cricket. Why do some people think it's bad for cricket? It should surely force the competition to try and improve their game to match the Australian's; not result in comments wanting Australia to fall back into the pack.

Thoughts?
    i personally admit that i have said cricket is geting boring becuase aussies are dominating the game of cricket. i havn't blamed aussies for that. what i have blamed is the other 7 or 8 top test nations. over ten years or so none of these teams have challanged aussies for a good challanging cricket game. in 2005 aussies when England were able to defeat Aussies i was pleased that circket isn't a one sided game any more. but since then it is like aussies have learned from thier mistake and dominated all the teams both in home and away.
    that is what makes the game oneside to me. i don't want aussies to decline what i want is other team to improve and raise. put challanging cricket in the board and make cricket fun.

It's perfectly possible he wouldn't have been in the 1970s, 80s and 90s, though, that was what I was saying.
    Which really says something for the other nations. Unless they improve, they'll continue to be beaten by even the most mediocre of Australian players. Damien Martyn was nothing special - he was just a good player by Australian standards in recent times. Yet he had a very good test career, which says more for the comparative strength of Australian cricket in general compared to the other nations at the moment than anything else. And it's not just Warne, McGrath, Ponting and Gilchrist - it's the outstanding depth of players of around Martyn's quality or better that will continue to cause havoc unless other nations improve from their current state.

I know. I've tried to emphasise several times - I quite agree that Australia have been considerably superior to most teams in the same period that the bowling-attacks have been generally poor.

Nonetheless, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect other teams to improve to the level we saw for most of the 1970s, 80s and 90s, given that we saw it for most of the 1970s, 80s and 90s. When, however, is a question no-one can answer right now.

As long as things stay as they currently are, Australia will indeed be superior by a large margin. And even if they get back to how they were not so long ago, Australia will almost certainly still be either atop the tree or 2nd.

International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Obviously I'd prefer for the rest of the world to catch up, but that's really wishful thinking, as for a start the modern game is far too heavily weighted in favour of batsmen, and I think that's showing with the dearth of quality bowlers.

We do need for things to even up, but realistically that's not going to happen without a weakened Australian team.

I've been a massive fan of cricket since I was a boy - I've seen the original beige brigade play in the WSC, I've watched Paddles destroy opposition lineups, I was there at the 1992 World Cup, I've belched up statistics by the hatful over my life, but this dominance by Australia is killing my love for cricket, pure and simple.
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    Obviously I'd prefer for the rest of the world to catch up, but that's really wishful thinking, as for a start the modern game is far too heavily weighted in favour of batsmen, and I think that's showing with the dearth of quality bowlers.

We do need for things to even up, but realistically that's not going to happen without a weakened Australian team.

I've been a massive fan of cricket since I was a boy - I've seen the original beige brigade play in the WSC, I've watched Paddles destroy opposition lineups, I was there at the 1992 World Cup, I've belched up statistics by the hatful over my life, but this dominance by Australia is killing my love for cricket, pure and simple.
    McGrath and Warne have gone, Hayden and Gilchrist wont be round long and neither will Ponting (hopefully). Then we'll see a more even playing field for sure.

Ponting will be around another 3 years at the very least imo, so not let up from him for a while
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Mitch Johnson is ****ing awesome for cricket.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Ponting's ability to ton up in the first innings of a series should not be understated. So much pressure, so important. What a great!

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    McGrath and Warne have gone, Hayden and Gilchrist wont be round long and neither will Ponting (hopefully). Then we'll see a more even playing field for sure.
    That's no consolation to me, it's now irrevocable that a very average batsman like Hayden has had huge success.

That more than anything else will always rate this current era as a lowpoint in cricket history.

That's no consolation to me, it's now irrevocable that a very average batsman like Hayden has had huge success.

That more than anything else will always rate this current era as a lowpoint in cricket history.

Wake up to yourself.
    NRL Tipping Champion 2014

Over 0.2: Putland to Nevill, OUT, no run, full ball swings in late to crash into his pads. Nevill is almost falling over trying to get bat on it but can't. Huge shout for LBW and Umpire Martell eventually raises the finger! P.Nevill - lbw b:Putland 0 (1 ball, 1 minute).

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Wake up to yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    Wake up to yourself.
    ?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information