Cricket Player Manager
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 78

Thread: So the tournament's too long, eh???

  1. #61
    International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Posts
    3,560
    Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    South Africa didn't play cricket in the 80's
    Oops! You're right, of course. Unfortunately by pointing that out, you've strengthened my "quality over quantity" argument.
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"

  2. #62
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973
    but quality quantity over just quality 'cause we already got quantity but are trying to get quality quantities.

  3. #63
    International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Posts
    3,560
    It says a lot about your posting style that I can't tell whether that comment was meant to be taken seriously or was a joke.

  4. #64
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wishing Phil Hughes all the best
    Posts
    45,336
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    Apples and oranges. Canada (and indeed, all the other minnows) is not comparable as no-one has heard of, let alone cares about, cricket in the home country. Sri Lanka were obvious candidates for test status due to the existing infrastructure and enthusiasm for the game. The same applies to Bangladesh now, but none of the others.
    I wouldn't disagree with that, but the game in Sri Lanka didn't develop independently of outside influence, did it? Someone planted the original seed from whence it grew.

    In Ireland at least I think the exposure the WC provided will have a positive effect on the game over there I'd imagine. I was actually in Galway when Ireland beat Pakistan & it made the front page of the Irish Daily Mirror! If they'd managed to beat us I reckon Trent Johnstone could've run for president.

    I don't for one second think the game will whither & die if it fails to move beyond its heartlands, but I do think it'd be a crying shame if the ICC didn't at least try to spread the gospel. For no other reason than the simple fact that it's a splendid sport that everyone should play. Or watch at least.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

    - As featured in The Independent.

    "I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence


  5. #65
    International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Posts
    3,560
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I wouldn't disagree with that, but the game in Sri Lanka didn't develop independently of outside influence, did it? Someone planted the original seed from whence it grew.
    I have to admit that I don't know how that seed was planted. I figured it had a lot to do with British influence and geographical location (ie. in the subcontinent). But, was it planted deliberately, as a means of expansion?

  6. #66
    Englishman BoyBrumby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Wishing Phil Hughes all the best
    Posts
    45,336
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    I have to admit that I don't know how that seed was planted. I figured it had a lot to do with British influence and geographical location (ie. in the subcontinent). But, was it planted deliberately, as a means of expansion?
    I dunno either, but we'd be the most likely candidates I suppose, yes. That wasn't my point tho, really. My point is that cricket has spread to other countries & exposure on the world stage must help its development in those countries. Sri Lanka weren't much better than Bangladesh are now when they initially got test status, but exposure to the best teams accelerated their growth. I'm not for one second advocating giving test status to Ireland, but I do think the ICC should encourage cricket's development in that country.

    I don't think cricket can really be introduced were there is no interest (or as close to no interest as makes no odds), but in coutries where there is a following it can certainly be nurtured IMHO.

  7. #67
    International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Posts
    3,560
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    I dunno either, but we'd be the most likely candidates I suppose, yes. That wasn't my point tho, really. My point is that cricket has spread to other countries & exposure on the world stage must help its development in those countries. Sri Lanka weren't much better than Bangladesh are now when they initially got test status, but exposure to the best teams accelerated their growth. I'm not for one second advocating giving test status to Ireland, but I do think the ICC should encourage cricket's development in that country.

    I don't think cricket can really be introduced were there is no interest (or as close to no interest as makes no odds), but in coutries where there is a following it can certainly be nurtured IMHO.
    I don't actually disagree with you at all. My initial suggestion was that if people wanted a shorter and higher quality WC, then cutting the minnows out would be the most logical way, and I don't believe that most people would shed a tear for them.

    I personally don't have a problem with the length, or with them being there. What killed the '07 edition for me was Australia's complete dominance, coupled with the complete lack of caribbean atmosphere, or indeed any actual spectators.

  8. #68
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    I don't actually disagree with you at all. My initial suggestion was that if people wanted a shorter and higher quality WC, then cutting the minnows out would be the most logical way, and I don't believe that most people would shed a tear for them.

    I personally don't have a problem with the length, or with them being there. What killed the '07 edition for me was Australia's complete dominance, coupled with the complete lack of caribbean atmosphere, or indeed any actual spectators.
    Frankly there ia another way to make the tournament shorter. Play more matches per day in the first round and at least two per day in the super eight (or equivalent),

    This should help by increasing the possibility of getting a good-game-a-day.

    It may affect the revenues a bit but that has to be accepted. It may also put some problems regarding logistics in some countries. Again not insurmountable.

  9. #69
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    24,372
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Frankly there ia another way to make the tournament shorter. Play more matches per day in the first round and at least two per day in the super eight (or equivalent),

    This should help by increasing the possibility of getting a good-game-a-day.

    It may affect the revenues a bit but that has to be accepted. It may also put some problems regarding logistics in some countries. Again not insurmountable.
    That would mean that teams would be playing 3 games in 6 days. Not much time for rest.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain



    Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

    I'm Green

    The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

  10. #70
    International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Posts
    3,560
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    It may affect the revenues
    Therein lies the problem.

  11. #71
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    I don't actually disagree with you at all. My initial suggestion was that if people wanted a shorter and higher quality WC, then cutting the minnows out would be the most logical way, and I don't believe that most people would shed a tear for them.

    I personally don't have a problem with the length, or with them being there. What killed the '07 edition for me was Australia's complete dominance, coupled with the complete lack of caribbean atmosphere, or indeed any actual spectators.
    there's a lot of other ways to make the format shorter than excluding the minnows, NCCA basketball last about a month and it got 64 teams, (all knockout format) but there's other ways around it, if you really really dislike a minnow, than it could be like knockout stage 1st than a group stage than semis and finals but then you'd risk the "big" teams to getting knocked out by the so called "minnows". You can't have everything... but the point is there's other ways around it to just excluding the minnows from the world cup.

  12. #72
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    Therein lies the problem.
    can't blame them, it's not like the icc makes any money of off anything else so why wouldn't they try to maximize their profit, but again can't have everything and being too greedy is just plain stupid.

  13. #73
    International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Posts
    3,560
    Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    NCCA basketball last about a month and it got 64 teams, (all knockout format) but there's other ways around it, if you really really dislike a minnow
    Basketball isn't comparable because it takes 48 minutes to complete a game, vs seven hours for an ODI. Therefore it's possible to have four or five games of tournament basketball per day and not lose any TV revenue. And for about the fourth time, I don't have a problem with the minnows.

    Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    can't blame them, it's not like the icc makes any money of off anything else so why wouldn't they try to maximize their profit, but again can't have everything and being too greedy is just plain stupid.
    The ICC are supposed to only be concerned with administering the sport. Making a profit should not be an objective for them.

  14. #74
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    Basketball isn't comparable because it takes 48 minutes to complete a game, vs seven hours for an ODI. Therefore it's possible to have four or five games of tournament basketball per day and not lose any TV revenue. And for about the fourth time, I don't have a problem with the minnows.


    The ICC are supposed to only be concerned with administering the sport. Making a profit should not be an objective for them.
    Yeah but it's not like cricket's having 64 teams, was more referring that to the fifa wc if they wanted they could even do that. But anyway, they do have games on at the same time but it's shown by region interest on teams to show which game.

    Well money is part of administering the sport. Why can't the minnows get better? because they don't have the money. Money talks.

  15. #75
    International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Posts
    3,560
    Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    Why can't the minnows get better? because they don't have the money. Money talks.
    Sorry, but that's bollocks. They don't get better because all the talented sportsmen in those countries end up playing whichever sport is most prevalent in those countries. Throwing money at cricket is never going to be effective if no-one's watching the games on pay TV or at the pub, or if no-one's talking about it at the office water cooler.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How long can Australia last?
    By MrPerko in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 230
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 05:56 PM
  2. Golf - importance of tournaments, tours
    By Pratters in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29-01-2005, 01:50 PM
  3. Long awaited Indian Squad for the WC
    By V Reddy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 29-12-2002, 09:56 AM
  4. Long time no see
    By Cybersmurf in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-04-2002, 12:10 PM
  5. How long will it take
    By Cybersmurf in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27-11-2001, 12:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •