Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 78

Thread: So the tournament's too long, eh???

  1. #31
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,856
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Don't see the problem. The apostrophe in this case is used to add 'is' at the end of tournament. So it would normally read 'so the tournament is too long' but instead it's 'so the tournament's too long'
    I was actually just making a penis joke.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  2. #32
    International Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Sutton Coldfield
    Posts
    4,412
    You'd think of all people, Cameron would never miss a knob gag.

  3. #33
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    I was actually just making a penis joke.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  4. #34
    International Regular 16 tins of Spam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Your mom's house
    Posts
    3,557
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178 View Post
    Yes, I would, and I'd also question how you ever expect the game to grow if you exclude them.
    I did say I have nothing against the minnows - I'm happy for them to be there. Unfortunately, people seem to covet a leaner tournament with less hidings, so I think my format (completely unoriginal I admit) is the most likely to deliver that.

    I could also strenuously argue that the "minnows growing the game" concept is one of the biggest cons ever, but I'll leave that for another day.
    Member of the Newtown Cricket Club since January '06 - "Per commissum ad taberna"
    Honorary Vice-President of the "Twenty20 Is Boring Society"


  5. #35
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Yeah I agree and was thinking of starting a similar thread recently. I don't understand the fascination with growing the game and pumping millions onto places that we will never ever see a return from. What's wrong with it staying how it is? I'm happy with it. Honestly, I don't want to see the game in America or China or any other of those countries. Probably the worst thing about the ICC is their obsession with minnows and developing the game in other countries. And whilst I fully support the growth of cricket in lets say, Holland, its the aggressive nature in which the ICC go to, to make it happen, especially in markets like the US, China and Canada.

    And they shouldn't be in the World Cup. And the argument "How will they improve?". Well, who cares really. Not our problem.

  6. #36
    U19 Captain Trigger_Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Tower of Omens
    Posts
    613

    .....

    Now that it's over, I still mistakingly check the web for updates or tune into the SopCast channel from where I used to watch it..........I guess it's length had a positive and lasting impact on many like me.....ULTIMATE addiction to cricker !?!?!
    Prowling tiger crouching low
    Ready to unleash its lethal blow
    Its eyes on the mighty prey
    Today the hunter will become the hunted!!!!!

  7. #37
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by 16 tins of Spam View Post
    I did say I have nothing against the minnows - I'm happy for them to be there. Unfortunately, people seem to covet a leaner tournament with less hidings, so I think my format (completely unoriginal I admit) is the most likely to deliver that.

    I could also strenuously argue that the "minnows growing the game" concept is one of the biggest cons ever, but I'll leave that for another day.
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Yeah I agree and was thinking of starting a similar thread recently. I don't understand the fascination with growing the game and pumping millions onto places that we will never ever see a return from. What's wrong with it staying how it is? I'm happy with it. Honestly, I don't want to see the game in America or China or any other of those countries. Probably the worst thing about the ICC is their obsession with minnows and developing the game in other countries. And whilst I fully support the growth of cricket in lets say, Holland, its the aggressive nature in which the ICC go to, to make it happen, especially in markets like the US, China and Canada.

    And they shouldn't be in the World Cup. And the argument "How will they improve?". Well, who cares really. Not our problem.
    For one, it will never survive that way. While every/most other sport is trying spread you just want it to stay in the 10 countries well eventually other sports will get into those countries and chance are cricket will die quicker than sports that keep trying to spread. They should be in the world cup cause it's the world cup not the champions trophy. Why shouldn't they be in the world cup? because they get bashed? well most teams get bashed by australia does that mean every but australia should be excluded? World cup doesn't necessarily improve their skills but it does help spread the game over those countries just see this for example, it's a fast track of spreading the game over ireland because they did good in the world cup http://www.irishcricketdoco.com/

  8. #38
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    For one, it will never survive that way. While every/most other sport is trying spread you just want it to stay in the 10 countries well eventually other sports will get into those countries and chance are cricket will die quicker than sports that keep trying to spread. They should be in the world cup cause it's the world cup not the champions trophy. Why shouldn't they be in the world cup? because they get bashed? well most teams get bashed by australia does that mean every but australia should be excluded? World cup doesn't necessarily improve their skills but it does help spread the game over those countries just see this for example, it's a fast track of spreading the game over ireland because they did good in the world cup http://www.irishcricketdoco.com/
    Firstly the game has survived for hundreds of years and will continue to do so. Saying it will die if we don't try and expand is just silly. It wont. And the World Cup should be the best against the best. Not some marketing exercise to get other countries interested. Honestly, I did enjoy watch the minnows play in the group stages, but they shouldn't be there and it's abit of a disgrace that they are. They're amateurs ffs. A huge amount of these guys only play cricket part time and its an embarrassment to see them on the world stage tbh and it devalues the trophy imo.

  9. #39
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Moving to Somalia
    Posts
    43,527
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Firstly the game has survived for hundreds of years and will continue to do so. Saying it will die if we don't try and expand is just silly. It wont. And the World Cup should be the best against the best. Not some marketing exercise to get other countries interested. Honestly, I did enjoy watch the minnows play in the group stages, but they shouldn't be there and it's abit of a disgrace that they are. They're amateurs ffs. A huge amount of these guys only play cricket part time and its an embarrassment to see them on the world stage tbh and it devalues the trophy imo.
    Haha, excellent use of TLAs there.
    ~ Cribbage ~

    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

  10. #40
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Firstly the game has survived for hundreds of years and will continue to do so. Saying it will die if we don't try and expand is just silly. It wont. And the World Cup should be the best against the best. Not some marketing exercise to get other countries interested. Honestly, I did enjoy watch the minnows play in the group stages, but they shouldn't be there and it's abit of a disgrace that they are. They're amateurs ffs. A huge amount of these guys only play cricket part time and its an embarrassment to see them on the world stage tbh and it devalues the trophy imo.
    Firstly, it's not the same playing field anymore. Every sport in the world did try to spread itself for hundreds of years and so to say if you just seat there and let other sports spread while cricket does nothing won't really help it survive. The world cup is still about the best, it's about the best 16 which 81 other teams tried to play in. It doesn't devalues the tournament a bit, what devalues the tournament is all the so called best teams not even giving Australia a run for its money let alone win a game against them. So what are you going to do exclude everyone but Australia and have games between Australian teams? Why shouldn't they be there? They were given a target and a qualification process and they made it through and that a lone gives the credit for them to be there and over that the "minnows" did way better this cup than the previous ones. So who cares if they are ametures or not. They're are ameture players in the Olympics. That doesn't matter. You know what's a disgrace? Professional teams who get paid and gets to train for years losing to the ametures who "shouldn't be there" that's a disgrace. Not ametures being there. It doesn't matter if they are ametures or not. They don't devalue the tournament a bit.

    Saying things like that is like saying Australia and the other minnows etc devalues the fifa world cup. It doesn't.
    Last edited by LA ICE-E; 05-05-2007 at 02:05 AM.

  11. #41
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    Firstly, it's not the same playing field anymore. Every sport in the world did try to spread itself for hundreds of years and so to say if you just seat there and let other sports spread while cricket does nothing won't really help it survive. The world cup is still about the best, it's about the best 16 which 81 other teams tried to play in. It doesn't devalues the tournament a bit, what devalues the tournament is all the so called best teams not even giving Australia a run for its money let alone win a game against them. So what are you going to do exclude everyone but Australia and have games between Australian teams? Why shouldn't they be there? They were given a target and a qualification process and they made it through and that a lone gives the credit for them to be there and over that the "minnows" did way better this cup than the previous ones. So who cares if they are ametures or not. They're are ameture players in the Olympics. That doesn't matter. You know what's a disgrace? Professional teams who get paid and gets to train for years losing to the ametures who "shouldn't be there" that's a disgrace. Not ametures being there. It doesn't matter if they are ametures or not. They don't devalue the tournament a bit.

    Saying things like that is like saying Australia and the other minnows etc devalues the fifa world cup. It doesn't.
    Lol, listen I respect your devotion to 'minnow' causes, but I can't agree with anything you've said there. Cricket won't die if it doesn't expand, you keep on saying it will, but it won't. The expanding is never, ever going to be successful and is just leaking money. That in itself could have serious consequences for cricket. And what does the fact that they were the best minnows in the world have to do with anything, they're leagues apart from the proper sides and it showed bar one or two games. And the same thing happened last tournament and the tournament before. They kill the World Cup, they extend the tournament making everyone bored as hell and they devalue it. There's no two ways about it. The World Cup should be the best against the best and having minnows in there kills it. It might not be popular to say it, but they're woeful, they get smashed and it's embarrassing. They don't even play in proper tournaments against the big teams through the years and now all of a sudden they're playing us on the world stage? Wtf is that? It makes no sense and it's a blight on the game.

    Hey, I follow and plan to follow the minnow sides just as much as anyone here throughout the years. One of my favourite players represents a minnow country. But they shouldn't be playing in the World Cup and the ICC shouldn't be pissing money into the wind to try and hopelessly build them up, something that wont ever happen. And if cricket ever becomes big in America (which it wont), that's when I give up the sport for good.

  12. #42
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Lol, listen I respect your devotion to 'minnow' causes, but I can't agree with anything you've said there. Cricket won't die if it doesn't expand, you keep on saying it will, but it won't. The expanding is never, ever going to be successful and is just leaking money. That in itself could have serious consequences for cricket. And what does the fact that they were the best minnows in the world have to do with anything, they're leagues apart from the proper sides and it showed bar one or two games. And the same thing happened last tournament and the tournament before. They kill the World Cup, they extend the tournament making everyone bored as hell and they devalue it. There's no two ways about it. The World Cup should be the best against the best and having minnows in there kills it. It might not be popular to say it, but they're woeful, they get smashed and it's embarrassing. They don't even play in proper tournaments against the big teams through the years and now all of a sudden they're playing us on the world stage? Wtf is that? It makes no sense and it's a blight on the game.

    Hey, I follow and plan to follow the minnow sides just as much as anyone here throughout the years. One of my favourite players represents a minnow country. But they shouldn't be playing in the World Cup and the ICC shouldn't be pissing money into the wind to try and hopelessly build them up, something that wont ever happen. And if cricket ever becomes big in America (which it wont), that's when I give up the sport for good.
    I'll bet you if they put good money of Afghanistan countries like that expansions will happen very soon and successfully too. So who cares if they are leagues apart from the proper side, you still get upsets from the so called minnows like every tournament. And it shows bar 2 games? they only played about 2 games against the "proper sides" and only bermuda showed they are out of depth. I'm not going to cound netherland and scotland there because every teams out of depth against australia. they don't extend the world cup, what kind of bull **** is that? if you want a quick world cup then just simply switch to quarterfinals, has nothing to do with the minnows and everyone was bored because the so called "proper teams" didn't show up bar australia and may be sri lanka, not because of the minnows, the minnows were the interesting part of the tournament. How said the world cup should be best against bests? there's no such concept about it. It's about the best teams from around the world playing in a tournament, not just the elite. Really so it's only the minnows that get smashed? and it's only them who are woeful? then why the hell did pakistan lose to ireland, why did england thrash canada, kenya etc. the only minnows that got bashed was bermuda, again im not counting scotland or netherlands otherwise go count the woeful new zealanders who supposedly is a proper team but still lost by 200+ runs against the aussies. Yes it does make sense because the other tournaments aren't the world cup, this is so you include everyone in it. I don't think australia ever played brazil in soccer ever before WTF all of a sudden they are playing in the world cup? Having minnows doesn't devalues the tournament or you wouldn't have 32 teams in the fifa world cup and you wouldn't have 20 teams in the rugby world cup. I'll say only one team didn't look like they deserved to be there but the rest did, unlike some of the teams in the rugby world cup. But if you want to play with the best of the bests, then play between Australian sides because no other team comes close.

  13. #43
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Quote Originally Posted by LA ICE-E View Post
    I'll bet you if they put good money of Afghanistan countries like that expansions will happen very soon and successfully too. So who cares if they are leagues apart from the proper side, you still get upsets from the so called minnows like every tournament. And it shows bar 2 games? they only played about 2 games against the "proper sides" and only bermuda showed they are out of depth. I'm not going to cound netherland and scotland there because every teams out of depth against australia. they don't extend the world cup, what kind of bull **** is that? if you want a quick world cup then just simply switch to quarterfinals, has nothing to do with the minnows and everyone was bored because the so called "proper teams" didn't show up bar australia and may be sri lanka, not because of the minnows, the minnows were the interesting part of the tournament. How said the world cup should be best against bests? there's no such concept about it. It's about the best teams from around the world playing in a tournament, not just the elite. Really so it's only the minnows that get smashed? and it's only them who are woeful? then why the hell did pakistan lose to ireland, why did england thrash canada, kenya etc. the only minnows that got bashed was bermuda, again im not counting scotland or netherlands otherwise go count the woeful new zealanders who supposedly is a proper team but still lost by 200+ runs against the aussies. Yes it does make sense because the other tournaments aren't the world cup, this is so you include everyone in it. I don't think australia ever played brazil in soccer ever before WTF all of a sudden they are playing in the world cup? Having minnows doesn't devalues the tournament or you wouldn't have 32 teams in the fifa world cup and you wouldn't have 20 teams in the rugby world cup. I'll say only one team didn't look like they deserved to be there but the rest did, unlike some of the teams in the rugby world cup. But if you want to play with the best of the bests, then play between Australian sides because no other team comes close.
    Lots of points to address here, but this is going around in circles and your steadfast and sometimes irrational support or minnows and globalising the game isn't helping. One I don't care what the Rugby WC or Soccer WC does. I don't care in the slightest and their no proof either way to me. Second, and most importantly your whole argument well, Australia are better than the rest by a fair margin, so the fact that the minnows are much worse than the other 8 sides so it shouldn't make difference is so flawed I can't begin to discredit it. The gap in class, and you can point to Pakistan or whatever but ti doesn't change the facts that are as clear as the light of day is huge. Australia are currently the best in the World, by the next World Cup another side may be and the dynamics of the top 8 or 9 sides may change alot. But the minnows will always be minnows, they'll still be crap, they'll still be rubbish and they'll still be devaluing the World Cup by their mere presence. Just because Australia are better than everyone doesn't give you the right to start introducing poor sides into the comp. And as I've said before and I'll say again although it's getting annoying repeating myself to you over and over, the minnows in the WC, together with the concept of globalising the game is totally farcical and idiotic.

  14. #44
    State Captain LA ICE-E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    1,973
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Lots of points to address here, but this is going around in circles and your steadfast and sometimes irrational support or minnows and globalising the game isn't helping. One I don't care what the Rugby WC or Soccer WC does. I don't care in the slightest and their no proof either way to me. Second, and most importantly your whole argument well, Australia are better than the rest by a fair margin, so the fact that the minnows are much worse than the other 8 sides so it shouldn't make difference is so flawed I can't begin to discredit it. The gap in class, and you can point to Pakistan or whatever but ti doesn't change the facts that are as clear as the light of day is huge. Australia are currently the best in the World, by the next World Cup another side may be and the dynamics of the top 8 or 9 sides may change alot. But the minnows will always be minnows, they'll still be crap, they'll still be rubbish and they'll still be devaluing the World Cup by their mere presence. Just because Australia are better than everyone doesn't give you the right to start introducing poor sides into the comp. And as I've said before and I'll say again although it's getting annoying repeating myself to you over and over, the minnows in the WC, together with the concept of globalising the game is totally farcical and idiotic.
    Ok so you can say that Australia might not be the best side come the next 4 years and things might change a lot but you don't see the same thing can happen with the minnows too? Look at sri lanka in their beginnings! Are they still crap? are they still devaluing the wolrd cup with their mere presence? NO! And just to get it straight, the minnows doesn't devalue the tournament by their presence or anything else for that matter. And just because the top 8 elites are better doesn't give you the right to decline other teams in the world cup which you don't even let any countries from the world take part in it other than the elites, what kind of **** is that. No what would be idiotic is having the same tournament every year with a different name- Champions trophy and World cup. And calling it the world cup while you let the select few play. There's nothing wrong with the concept of globalizing a game, it just takes time. What devalues it is Australia kind of, so are you going to exclude them because they dominate so much? No, and again the minnows doesn't devalue the cup and as you said we are just going in an cycle because you're ignoring the facts that it's not a select few tournament, it's the world cup and there's no such thing that says it has to be the best against the best which would be australia against australia.

  15. #45
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Right, total circles here. You haven't really brought up any new points besides the CT one, which imo should be scrapped and is abit of a joke in itself.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. How long can Australia last?
    By MrPerko in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 230
    Last Post: 08-06-2008, 04:56 PM
  2. Golf - importance of tournaments, tours
    By Pratters in forum General Sports Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29-01-2005, 12:50 PM
  3. Long awaited Indian Squad for the WC
    By V Reddy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 29-12-2002, 08:56 AM
  4. Long time no see
    By Cybersmurf in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-04-2002, 11:10 AM
  5. How long will it take
    By Cybersmurf in forum Site Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 26-11-2001, 11:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •