• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If Australia wins the World Cup....

pasag

RTDAS
....by the time the next World Cup comes along in 2011, they would not have lost a World Cup match in almost 12 years.

That's mind-boggling tbh.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Could have saved it for after the match I reckon. Threads like this just ask for the result to go the other way.

pup11

International Coach
Yup, that would definately be mind-boggling if Aussies could do that, but that only shows how consistent Aussies have been all through these years.

They have worked extremely hard to maintain the same levels of consistency and concentration through all these year so they deserve to have that sort of a record i guess!!

pup11

International Coach
I just hope Aussies don't fail to cross the last hurdule, it would be a shame if that happens because they have just played some "AUSSOME" cricket in this tournament.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty unbeleivable, can't think of too many countries that have had such a stranglehold on World Cup games in the recent past, except maybe the Kangaroos League team.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Kinda makes people who say "anybody can win a WC" look like idiots. Pretty every WC has been won by the deserving nation. I may not like it if Oz win the World Cup, but that doesn't change the fact that they deserve it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I just hope Aussies don't fail to cross the last hurdule, it would be a shame if that happens because they have just played some "AUSSOME" cricket in this tournament.
Haha, gun.

You should have made that your username when you joined IMO.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
if they win than i don't think it would be a good thing for cricket or the world cup. they already went to the finals of very wc since '96. can you believe that? Even brazil isn't dominating soccer like that. this is like total domination of cricket. I wonder why people like brazil in soccer even though they dominate but a lot of poeple are against the aussies because they dominate. I just don't like any domination at all, although i do support brazil in soccer :p may that's cause i only watch the fifa world cup and that's the only time i watch soccer.

irfan

State Captain
if they win than i don't think it would be a good thing for cricket or the world cup. they already went to the finals of very wc since '96. can you believe that? Even brazil isn't dominating soccer like that. this is like total domination of cricket. I wonder why people like brazil in soccer even though they dominate but a lot of poeple are against the aussies because they dominate. I just don't like any domination at all, although i do support brazil in soccer :p may that's cause i only watch the fifa world cup and that's the only time i watch soccer.
Brazil, in soccer, play the beautiful game which usually involves individual stars with a dazzling array of tricks and slick passing to entertain the crowds. So even if Brazil dominates, the majority of crowds like watching them for the one bit of Ronaldinho magic or Kaka trickery.

Australia (esp. in WC), in cricket, however, play a more ruthless, effective game (think Hayden & McGrath) with a desire not necessarily to entertain the crowds but to achieve victory no matter what. Their brand of cricket curbs flashes of individual brilliance for a collective, consistent display of skill and aggression. Since they don't dominate in a crowd pleasing manner, crowds don't take to them as much.

Cricket has much more scope for thrashings since it's a lot longer than soccer, and Australia have been handing them out consistently since the 2000's which is a lot longer than Brazil's domination of soccer in a similar time period. So neutral crowds are just fed up of Australia winning convincingly with monotonous regularity.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Pretty unbeleivable, can't think of too many countries that have had such a stranglehold on World Cup games in the recent past, except maybe the Kangaroos League team.
Yeah, Australia's cricketers have a way to go to match their League players. IIRC we won the WC in 1972, but Oz have held it since. In fact the 05 Tri Nations was the first test series they'd lost for over 20 years too.

Australia (esp. in WC), in cricket, however, play a more ruthless, effective game (think Hayden & McGrath) with a desire not necessarily to entertain the crowds but to achieve victory no matter what. .
Yeah, hayden's so boring to watch.

How could anyone derive any entertainment of watching him walk down the pitch and dismiss any bowler for huge 6's out of the island.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
No, just a great ODI team for mine.
Oh yes they are a very very good side but not as great as their results show them to be. Its more a commentary on the state of world cricket than anything else.

I am sure even Australia would have been happier if the standards of opposition were better and their performances could be viewed objectively against the other great sides of the past.

Its not their (Australia's) fault though. Nor their responsibility to improve world standards.