• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The World Cup Final - Who Will Win?

Who do you predict will win the World Cup Final

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pasag

RTDAS
Preferably a re-match. But I don't mind joint winners either. A bowl-out to decide a World Cup final is the epitome of direness, imo.

LA ICE-E

State Captain
Dire.

How anyone could think that would be a fair way to see who had the better cricket team is beyond me. I'd just award the Cup to whoever finished higher after the Super 8 stage in the event of a tied final - or even just have joint-winners.
Why? I think it's exciting. A tournament doesn't have to be fair. Also, how is it not fair it's the same rules for both teams. Penalty shoots the best part of soccer and i think bowl out's a exciting part of cricket.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
A tournament doesn't have to be fair. Also, how is it not fair it's the same rules for both teams.
I didn't say it wasn't fair to both teams - I said it wasn't a fair way to see who had the better cricket team. There's a difference. By your logic, making them have a knife fight to the death would also be a fair way to end the tournament in the event of a tie, because the same rules would apply to both teams.

I'd hate to see the result of such a big tournament determined by something so very dire and random.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I didn't say it wasn't fair to both teams - I said it wasn't a fair way to see who had the better cricket team. There's a difference. By your logic, making them have a knife fight to the death would also be a fair way to end the tournament in the event of a tie, because the same rules would apply to both teams.

I'd hate to see the result of such a big tournament determined by something so very dire and random.
Bowl out is fine for twenty twenty, fits right in one the silly vibe of it all. But for real cricket, it has no place to exist.

They should just have a sack race to decide.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
...... Australia, can't see them being beaten.
I can......... in my wildest dreams :dry:

Seriously. I do think its good for cricket if we have a challenge to this monopoly of the Aussies but it has to come through an improvement in world standards and not through a decline of the magnificient Australians.

And that improvemnt in world standards seems a very long time away in the future irrespective of whether or not Sri Lanka win. Thats what makes one sad.

irfan

State Captain
Dire.

How anyone could think that would be a fair way to see who had the better cricket team is beyond me. I'd just award the Cup to whoever finished higher after the Super 8 stage in the event of a tied final - or even just have joint-winners.
Bowl Out ?? Are u guys sure ?
Surely the most fairest way to decide between the two teams would have to be a rematch (i.e AFL grand final). Don't tell me you are relying on sources like Wikipedia ??

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Dire.

Preferably a re-match. But I don't mind joint winners either. A bowl-out to decide a World Cup final is the epitome of direness, imo.
Why? I think it's exciting. A tournament doesn't have to be fair. Also, how is it not fair it's the same rules for both teams. Penalty shoots the best part of soccer and i think bowl out's a exciting part of cricket.
A replay is the best bet, failing that a shared trophy. I don't agree with alternative methods of selecting a winner, be it a bowl-out, or the side that finished higher in the Super 8. Neither of them have any relevance to the match.

And penalty shoots aren't the best part of soccer. They're the worst part of football.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I'd be seriously pissed off if the WC was decided by a bowl out. I can't imagine a worse thing for cricket. Penalty shoot outs are awful in football, but they're a necessary evil of sorts, and at least they test a genuinely relevant skill in the game. Players actually have to take and defend penalties in football, they don't have to bowl at stumps without a batsman in cricket, and to decide matches via that is a joke. They may as well arm wrestle. Obviously most people realise this already, but if that's actually part of the rules, someone somewhere must think it's a good idea, and that just blows my mind.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I refuse to believe, no matter what Wikipedia says, that by some instance of a tie, the ICC would have the balls in ending what they believe to be cricket's biggest stage in a bowl-off. I simply cannot fathom this occurring.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Its amazing that the difference between those who say tie and those who say Sri Lanka is just 2. Considering that less than 1% of all ODI's have been tied (22 out of 2580) what does this tell us of Sri Lanka's chances ??

..... or of the seriousness of those voting for a tie , undersigned included :)

Athlai

Not Terrible
What about cricket overtime on the event of a tie? :laugh:

An extra 5 overs. Each main bowler gets one over. With only a certain amount of wickets in hand, like 2? That could be fun, I could see how it could into a slog fest but with wickets more valuable you never know. :laugh:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah better if you had to send in your number 11 to face two overs. Whichever number 11 scored more runs in those two overs wins.

McGrath vs. Murali in a batting contest would be awesome.